Sign in with
Your question

MOH: AA

Last response: in Video Games
March 25, 2002 5:16:12 PM

I just got this game this weekend, and it rocks! The missions are incredible. It took me about 20 tries to get up the beach on Normandy, and I was playing on the easiest difficulty. This game is very well done.
Anyone else got this? It hasn't been as popular as it should be.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft

More about : moh

March 25, 2002 7:45:40 PM

I beat it a long time ago and I go back almost everyday just to to Omaha Beach and the u-boat. Not as good killing realism as SOF. You blow someone away and their body shakes as u open up on it, and bodyparts come off. DAMN am I ever morbid, completely desensitized

Blame the newbies not the technology
March 26, 2002 2:20:30 AM

Yeah, this game is incredible. I agree that its kind of dissapointing that they left out the gore to get the Teen rating. I know you can download blood mods, but they aren't as good as you'd hope. Omaha Beach is simply incredible. First game in a long time that will make you forget you are playing a game (PCGamer).

Fate it seems...is not without a sense of irony.
~The Matrix
Related resources
March 26, 2002 3:33:33 AM

I ended it about 3 weeks ago. I play about every other day. I prefer the urban areas but omaha beach is pretty nice. I run a few RCA connections to my stereo to get the full flavor. Everbody laughs at me but I like the music (movie quality in some spots, like the music that plays in the load/save section.) I was a little suprised it didn't a bigger following myself.

<A HREF="http://members.ud.com/services/teams/team.htm?id=510E66..." target="_new">UD</A>
March 29, 2002 11:42:50 AM

The game is incredible but I need to upgrade my RAM before I can get it to run smoothly. The FPS is reasonable, but there is a lot of hard drive access that causes the game to stutter. I'll upgrade to 512MB DDR333 from 256MB PC133 later.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
March 31, 2002 6:37:11 AM

Where can you download the Blood Mods ?

Measure Twice, Cut Once!!
March 31, 2002 10:53:05 AM

There's not much you can do about it accesing the hard drive, it will always stutter because the game auto-saves at certain points... so even on my G4 Ti4600 the game will do it. Don't get me wrong, the game plays very smooth otherwise. This is a phenominal game, and as far as the blood goes, I think it's more realistic than some games that have such over the top blood gushing everywhere. They did try to limit the gore for the sake of a lower rating but another reason was to make the game look more realistic (than again health packs aren't all that realistic =)

AOL-For people who like to pay extra for their SPAM
April 1, 2002 10:13:08 PM

Well, all i needed was a Driver Update to get the Game to work on my brothers GF2 mmx400, During the game on intense action scene's the game has quick pauses, is that cause of the Graphics card im using, he also is using 256mb PC800 Rdram ...... Will a GF 4 ti4600 and 1 GB of PC2700 run the game much better with out those quick pauses ?

April 2, 2002 4:12:05 AM

I am running it on a XP1800+, 768 ddr, G4 ti 4600 and it has no pauses.

:smile: <b><font color=green>I took an I.Q. test today...it came back negative.</font color=green></b> :smile:
April 2, 2002 11:46:43 AM

Yeah, I think it's the vast amount of RAM you have that prevents the stuttering. It's annoying when you have good FPS but the game stop for a fraction of a second while reading off the hard drive.

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor
April 2, 2002 1:42:25 PM

JESUS tell me about it... i should have no problem then when i run it on my dream machine... im either putting two 512's or three 512's PC2700... I think im going Insane!!!

as of now im getting the GF4ti4600, but if they release GF5 then say goodbye to the GF4 and im getting the GF5 LOL

April 2, 2002 1:43:21 PM

I hope the release a new Medal Of Honor--- this game is great! i think im addicted

April 2, 2002 4:05:55 PM

Well, if you get PC2700, I recommend the IWill XP333. You'll be wasting the true performance of those PC2700 sticks on any other mobo. However, I think all DDR333 mobos (including the Iwill XP333) have problems with the memory timings when all the memory slots are occupied.

April 2, 2002 9:19:29 PM

finished this game a few weeks ago loved every minute of it .. runs beautifully on my soyo ultra p-4.0a w\512, pc2700 both of my vid cards could run at maxxed video settings without a hiccup (gf3 ti200 and radeon 8500 retail w\the 3.3ns ram

If they make a sequel I will definately get it

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>
April 3, 2002 1:19:05 AM

so if i fill all slots then i will have problems

April 3, 2002 2:58:06 AM

thats what soyo manual sez and looks like Iwill's too according to amd_mans post above.. since I am still chuggin' along in win98se I can't use more than 512mb anyway

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue>
April 7, 2002 3:28:39 AM

u better hope a video card u pay 350 bucks for runs MOH smoothly :)  (dont get me wrong, im putting one in my next sys) I have the gf2 mx 400...no real probs
amd tbird 1.ghz
512 pc133
April 7, 2002 10:05:56 AM

This is definitely the best game I've played in quite some time. As I had read (devoured explains better!) Winston Churchill's book about WW-II before, the game was even more enjoyable to me. I especially loved the Omaha beach part. IT WAS AWESOME. Thank you 2015 and EA!
Did you know that almost all of the sounds you hear (music, dialogues, etc.) are in wave or mp3 format?! I've started to listen to the main theme song after I finished the game.
I played on P-iii 550E @ 605 MHz with 256 MBs of RAM and a GeForce2 MX400 64 MB at 800*600*32*2xAA. I even tweaked some options to get better quality and the game was very playable believe me (Windows 2000).
I think the likes of C&C-Renegade can learn some good lessons from MOH-AA; From every part of it specially fantastic AI.
April 7, 2002 10:44:07 PM

I was going to either get the AsusA7V333 or the new Soyo Kt333 chipset board...... Im not getting anything till june, the Kt400a will probley be out around that time...

This Community is like a Second Family!!
April 18, 2002 10:34:21 AM

lol @ "fantastic ai". well... actually the ai was ok but its the damage model that really pissed me off. how can a game a realistic as mohaa allow you to take entire clips of rounds from the enemy and not kill you. thats just absurd. it was ok in rtcw cause its not a very realistic game... but that just ruined moh for me...
April 18, 2002 12:50:24 PM

I've recently upgraded my PC with the ASUS A7V333+Raid. I'll be installing MOH tonight. I'll let you know how I get on.

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I accidentally blow your head off.......again?
April 18, 2002 4:01:40 PM

MOHAA was the first game that the AI would really use the terrain, though. The soldiers would duck into doorways even when they weren't pre-programmed to do so. I've never seen it actually done right before.

<font color=blue>If you don't buy Windows, then the terrorists have already won!</font color=blue> - Microsoft
April 18, 2002 4:16:14 PM

Quote:

MOHAA was the first game that the AI would really use the terrain, though. The soldiers would duck into doorways even when they weren't pre-programmed to do so. I've never seen it actually done right before.

The only thing that was holding AI back before was the limited processing power. Now, processors are faster and more powerful and can handle more realistic AI.

April 18, 2002 5:19:35 PM

I doubt it. This feels like more of a well-programmed AI than simply being able to do more.

April 18, 2002 10:15:07 PM

I still haven't gotten the game, but even in the demo the AI was good. Taking a whole clip and surving was rare anyways since taking a whole clip would leave you violently shaking and in most cases as good as dead within seconds by the next guy.

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America!</font color=red>
April 19, 2002 5:37:45 AM

Hmm... what difficulty did you play on... i dont remember what i played on but i could stand in the middle of the road while taking fire from multiple enemies and casually fire away at them with out dying...
April 19, 2002 6:14:55 AM

Got this installed last night and I was dammed impressed. Game runs beautifully, and the level of atmosphere is sweet - everyone chatting away in the background makes it all move enjoyable.

One thing - if you find that when you start playing the game, your dial up networking box appears, it's because your dun is set to connect automatically. If you knock this setting off it solves the problem.

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I accidentally blow your head off.......again?
April 19, 2002 1:27:20 PM

You're right. Maybe not fantastic after all. Your comments about the damage model are more or less true. But it's a game after all. Would it be very interesting if you were killed with the first bullet? (Actually in the sniper town, you can get killed that way...Even putting the sniper town level aside, I never felt that safe anywhere in the game) Or health packs...What's so real about them? And then which game can you finish without having them around?

One of the oddities though is the way you can beat or safely pass the guard towers. If you shoot the light or pass through it, you WILL get killed (almost for sure), but if you kill the guy handling the beacon instead, the other guards above the other towers couldn't care less...They are blind AND deaf I suppose?!

Another thing is, I was comparing this game with the one I had just finished: 'Command and Conquer: Renegade' and if you have played Renegade, you know what I mean about a horrible AI. In C&C:Renegade when you're protecting someone else or advancing along other computer driven allies you're having a VERY HARD time. They just run blindly ahead, then before you can even reach them they just stand and take enemy fire and don't even move out or dodge or FIRE BACK at least...You sometimes think why are you playing it 'cause you don't have any control... The boss characters (especially the last one) are so powerful you have to use the Ion cannon 7-8 times to beat them while even the hardest buildings need 3 shots (I'm comparing them relatively not in real numbers)...It's so utterly imbalanced and dumb. You never feel this way in MOHAA. The friendly AND enemy AI is high. If you accompany allies or protect a guy, they act VERY intelligent. The enemies react fine, etc., etc.

So, I'll rephrase: I think the AI is very well made and it's among the best you can find!
April 20, 2002 10:31:43 PM

there are updates that fix most of the minor annoyances. Also if you edit your shortcut with the following and type in maplist and choose 4|0 you can load a "secret map" you better not mind killing dogs for this one though

"D:\Program Files\EA GAMES\MOHAA\MOHAA.exe" +set developer 1 +set thereisnomonkey 1 +set cheats 1 +set ui_console 1

lagger

April 23, 2002 9:56:32 AM

I see your point. I guess I am just so used to DoD. There are no health packs and usually one or two shots will take you out. That IS quite unreasonable for a single player game though. I don't own mohaa yet (i just played the demo) but is there a way to adjust the amount of damage you can take to make the game harder?
April 24, 2002 2:02:05 AM

ummm...difficulty settings??/
hehe
trust me ull need that health when ur invading on d-day at the hardest level
April 24, 2002 5:57:54 AM

hi all.i seem to can't play MOHAA on WinXP. this 'network connections' thing keep popping up. after closing it, my game crashes.
April 24, 2002 7:05:23 AM

That's good to hear. I was really hoping that the rest of the game wasn't as easy as the demo.
April 24, 2002 12:58:50 PM

Its pretty damn hard! Even at the easiest difficulty!
Some levels require you to really sneak around...thats what I like about it, you need a bit of strategy to play it too.

"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people..."
April 24, 2002 4:42:11 PM

Disable the 'Dial on demand' kinda thing in your internet connection. Can't remember exactly what it's called.

April 26, 2002 7:09:00 AM

Sorta off the subject... but has anyone made a successfull working backup of MoH? It has that SD Disk Protection and I've heard you need a lite-on or plextor to do it... Im putting in my new liteon this weekend and wanted to try it out. Any links or instructions you have would be helpful... thanks.
April 26, 2002 10:35:11 AM

Quote:
Any links or instructions you have would be helpful

I have done this with the lite-on and used clone cd PM me for specific instructions if I don't post them here later ( I'm on my way to work in a few minutes) Good choice on the lite-on good burner :smile:

[edit] ok I have a few moments at work so i will try to post directions for this

1st you have to have clonecd.. if you live in USA, UK or Japan you MUST change your region settings in control panel to any other country .. if english speaking use canada for instance if you do not do this then you will be unable to use the AWS (amplify weak sectors) option in clonecd.. ok now open clonecd, set up to read the disk , load protectcd option under Load, set fastskip option to software 0 retries, do not halt on read errors option checked, read data subchannel ( not audio) read\create to a file on hard disk do not attempt copy on the fly read at 4x it will take 20 min or so each disk as the read errors slow it down .. but after the 1st 5% or so it will move faster.. to burn load protectcd option again do not repair subchannel ENABLE AMPLIFY WEAK SECTORS (caps are there for a reason) in that section the first and last check boxes should have checks and the middle one clear. burn at 4x.. I think I have covered it all but I will check again at home tonight or tomorrow .. in any case ALWAYS make your first copy onto a pair of cd-RW so you can erase bad attempts also Name you disk image as there are 2 disks this will avoid an overwrite of the image files

lagger

<b><font color=blue>Checking under my North<font color=red> AND</font color=red> South bridges for <font color=green>Trolls</font color=green></font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lagger on 04/26/02 10:51 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
April 26, 2002 5:37:25 PM

Heh, it's so much simpler than that if you know how :tongue:

April 26, 2002 10:49:04 PM

thanks for sharing (useless to brag and not produce, MR. "show me a link") :tongue: :wink:

lagger

April 26, 2002 11:35:42 PM

Ok, here you go:

Use CloneCD to make a CD image on your hard drive. Find the program "Daemon Tools" (I can host it for download if my webserver decides to come back up). It basically creates a virtual CD-ROM drive on your computer, and you can mount the CD image (which essentially is like inserting the CD. The CD will appear just as if it was the original CD in a CD-ROM device in your box, you can browse it and everything. :cool:

P.s. Make sure you get the newest version of Daemon Tools. Also, with Ghost Recon: Desert Seige (expansion pack) you have to select "Safedisc" emulation. No other games that I know of require you to choose an emulation.

April 27, 2002 12:26:39 AM

ok ( I knew ya'd come thru :smile: ) but my way no third party utilities are needed to install and run right from the back ups fwiw you can just copy the disk in raw mode and use a no-cd crack to the exe file also :smile:

lagger

April 29, 2002 6:56:55 AM

I finally got MOH:AA this weekend. It was on sale for $40 bucks so I snatched it. And I must admit that I like it a lot more now that I've gotten into it. Comparing to DoD, MoH has a much better recoil and "bobbing" system. The gun models look great and the sounds are ok. DoD has some GREAT sounds in comparison. I think my biggest gripe about MoH, now, is that you can't go prone and the run speed seems kinda sluggish. Overall, I think I enjoyed RTCW better but this is still a great game. And the beach mission was totally worth it.
April 29, 2002 7:38:13 PM

True, but this works perfectly for all games, and you only have to copy the image file across the network at LAN parties. You also don't have to mess with CDs. It's seriously been a couple weeks since I've actually used a CD :cool:

April 30, 2002 11:54:15 AM

I agree Fat. That sounds like a good idea. Kinda confusing at first glance but I'm pretty sure I can figure that out. Thanks for the help.
May 1, 2002 5:52:58 AM

Ok, I'm stumped. I got CloneCD and it's pretty cool. However, I looked everywhere in that damn proggie and went through the cd burning process and couldn't find the areas where you can select those options you mentioned. There's nothing! I basically get 4 things to choose from (copy cd, create iso, burn iso, etc.) but there are no areas to modify the burning methods. I think I have the 4.0 beta release. I went ahead and made a copy of MoH but as I expected, the backup didn't work.

However, I decided to try D-tools and that is a pretty slick proggie. With MoH installed I was able to mount the .ccd file that was created during my previous attempt with clonecd and it loaded up MoH perfectly. Woot!

Here come the questions...

1.) CloneCD created 3 files when I ripped MoH to my HDD. D-tools seems to only read the .ccd file. That file was only ~750b. I assume D-tools just uses this to start the game without the cd. Would it let me make a fresh install? Does it somehow find the other 2 files for the game content?

2.) In CloneCD, where can I find the options that you mentioned? Is it possible that these features are not present in the newest release? Or maybe it's not enabled in the trial version?

Thanks guys!
May 9, 2002 5:13:55 AM

Quote:
--- Common Initialization ---
Medal of Honor Allied Assault 1.11 win-x86 Mar 5 2002
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
F:\Program Files\EA GAMES\MOHAA/main
F:\Program Files\EA GAMES\MOHAA\main\pak6.pk3 (104 files)
F:\Program Files\EA GAMES\MOHAA\main\Pak5.pk3 (259 files)
F:\Program Files\EA GAMES\MOHAA\main\Pak4.pk3 (593 files)
F:\Program Files\EA GAMES\MOHAA\main\Pak3.pk3 (669 files)
F:\Program Files\EA GAMES\MOHAA\main\Pak2.pk3 (4722 files)
F:\Program Files\EA GAMES\MOHAA\main\Pak1.pk3 (772 files)
F:\Program Files\EA GAMES\MOHAA\main\Pak0.pk3 (11175 files)

----------------------
18294 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
execing menu.cfg
execing newconfig.cfg
Config: unnamedsoldier.cfg
<font color=red>couldn't exec configs/unnamedsoldier.cfg</font color=red>
execing safemode.cfg
<font color=red>couldn't exec localized.cfg</font color=red>
execing autoexec.cfg
<font color=red>Unknown command "fov"
couldn't exec custom.cfg</font color=red>
...detecting CPU, found AMD w/ 3DNow!

------- Input Initialization -------
Initializing DirectInput...
<font color=red>Couldn't set DI coop level</font color=red>
Falling back to Win32 mouse support...
------- Input Initialization Complete ------- 13
You are now setup for easy mode.
----- Client Initialization -----
Called FadeSound with: 0.000000
----- Initializing Renderer ----
----- R_Init -----
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
...initializing QGL
...calling LoadLibrary( 'F:\WINDOWS\System32\opengl32.dll' ): succeeded
...setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
...using colorsbits of 16
...calling CDS: ok
...registered window class
...created window@0,0 (640x480)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
<font color=red>...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT</font color=red>
...restoring display settings
<font color=red>...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)</font color=red>
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
...assuming '3dfxvgl' is a standalone driver
...initializing QGL
<font color=red>...WARNING: missing Glide installation, assuming no 3Dfx available</font color=red>
...shutting down QGL
<font color=red>GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem</font color=red>

Am I missing a file or something? I can't get this thing to run.

<font color=red>I have a computer and it does weird stuff. please help.</font color=red>
!