What is special with Xeon?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Xeon
  • Cache
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
October 6, 2003 5:57:13 PM

Why xeon is giving perfomance advantage?Is it is simply because of the Cache?And what is the main perfomance factor in the Itanium?Instruction level parallalism?

More about : special xeon

October 6, 2003 6:51:32 PM

Xeon is special because it starts with an X and people like words that have an X in them, so to start with an X is even more special. :)  I mean why do you think everyone loves the Xpider case? Sure, the looks are cool, but it's the name that really hooks them in.

<i>I like coffee and I like tea, but <b>X</b>enophobic is neat to say! (Just not neat to be.)</i>

--------------------

But seriously, performance advantage over <i>what</i>? The L3 cache on the high-end Xeons is sometimes useful. Xeon's real claim to fame is just it's ability to be used in multiple CPU boxen.

Asking what the main performance factor in Itanium is would be only slightly less complicated than asking what Itanium itself is, which is only marginally more detailed than trying to explain EPIC. It's a whole new way of running a CPU. Unless you want to waste hours and hours on the subject you can pretty much leave it at that and just let the benchmarks speak for themselves.

<pre><A HREF="http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030905" target="_new"><font color=black>People don't understand how hard being a dark god can be. - Hastur</font color=black></A></pre><p>
October 7, 2003 5:22:59 AM

Now things are becoming complicated. What technology makes the xeon more multiprocessor friendly than P4? At the first instant I guess instruction level parallelism is the main factor in Itanium performance.
a b à CPUs
October 7, 2003 7:17:48 AM

The Xeon uses the P4 core. End of story on the technology.

Intel made sure Socket 478 wouldn't support dual CPU's. Probably a signal pin they eliminated or something. Why did they do that? So they could charge more for the Xeon. Same core, different socket.

There are Xeons available with extended cache, but the vast majority are using the stock P4 cache levels.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 7, 2003 2:36:00 PM

Well there are probably paths for memory transfers between the CPUs or something like that, but yeah, the Xeon and the P4 are virtually identical. Even more identical are the AXP and the AMP. **ROFL** But yeah. Such is just life. If you want dualie boxes you pay more for the CPUs. How else can companies make good money on servers? ;) 

<pre><A HREF="http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030905" target="_new"><font color=black>People don't understand how hard being a dark god can be. - Hastur</font color=black></A></pre><p>
October 7, 2003 5:25:44 PM

Yes, after all, those server guys tend to have all the money they really need... Plus, something like 70-80% of server prices is usually memory - a ton of memory.

:evil:  <font color=red><b>M</b></font color=red>ephistopheles
October 10, 2003 10:21:31 PM

Xeons have more pins than P4. They are all voltage and grounding pins though. Supposedly being SMP enabled is something special in the P4. P3 and Athlon's both used the same socket for single and SMP processors. Apparently there are higher stability requirements for Xeon and MP chips.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/myanandtech.html?member=114979" target="_new">My PCs</A> :cool:
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 10, 2003 10:45:11 PM

>What technology makes the xeon more multiprocessor friendly
>than P4?

The most efficient technology ever: marketing.

> At the first instant I guess instruction level parallelism
>is the main factor in Itanium performance.

Please do share what you think on second, third, fourth and fifth instance :D 

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 10, 2003 10:46:54 PM

Oh, and I am also curious what you call "Instruction level parallalism". Could you explain that to us ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
October 11, 2003 3:15:10 AM

ROFLMBO That must be the reason I bought HyperX
October 11, 2003 10:44:28 AM

ability to do multiple instructions in parallel.
October 12, 2003 2:25:01 PM

And the features of itanium are explained in the Intel site (PDF document).
October 12, 2003 5:10:33 PM

so what is the really the "Best" Processor from Intel? Centrino? Pentium? Itanium? Xeon? Celeron(lol)?
October 12, 2003 5:36:10 PM

this question is actually not that good... Itanium is very good at floating point, but would make one lousy laptop CPU... Centrino is excellent, from a laptop point of view. Celeron is not that good, but it's for low-cost niches... Pentiums are desktop processors, and relatively good ones at that... they occupy different niches... it's not good to compare them. It would be like comparing a bike to a ferrari - they're both transportation, yet they have an entirely different scope.

October 12, 2003 5:36:53 PM

If you are not considering cost,the best is Itanium.Its architecture is very wise and you can say it a parallel processor.
October 12, 2003 5:51:01 PM

your reasoning is justifyable.But if you are thinking about technology Itanium is the best.So it is the best technology processor.And as Servers are the most demanding computers and Itanium is the best server processor,you can think it as the most powerful computer you can buy(Discard super computers).
October 13, 2003 6:16:28 PM

Quote:
ROFLMBO That must be the reason I bought HyperX

HyperX, Corsair XMS, don't they just <i>sound</i> cool and important and worthy of high prices? It's the X that makes all the difference. I mean would anyone consider spending the same money for something named 'Value Select'? Nope. They have no X to make them <i>sound</i> cool. ;) 

And the next best thing to X is Z, which is why OCZ sounds almost as good as HyperX.

I'm not sure why Y gets skipped, but maybe it's because it's a consonant and sometimes it's a vowel so no one is really sure what to make of Y. Or maybe it's because marketing has no higher purpose, so it has only two dimentions, X and Z.

October 13, 2003 6:18:32 PM

ROFLMAO!

This whole thing is just... :lol: 

October 13, 2003 6:27:34 PM

Why else would the top-end new A64 be named an Athlon F<b>X</b>? Because the pecking order goes X > Z > plain and AMD had to make it sound cool. Why else wouldn't they just have called the A64FX the Opteron that it was? Because Opteron didn't sound like a cool big-brother to the Athlon 64. Hence Athlon 64 FX.

It's all about marketing.

March 18, 2012 8:23:32 AM

look at the difference between a intel pentium2 xeon and a regular pentium2.. there is definetly some large changes. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Pent...

that entire top section does not exist with the regular pentium2.
that cant be marketing..
however i know this doesent speak for the newer xeon line.

Edit: sorry for the Resurrection..
March 18, 2012 9:36:03 AM

resurection? more like raising the undead army
a c 105 à CPUs
March 18, 2012 3:40:23 PM

aidynphoenix said:
look at the difference between a intel pentium2 xeon and a regular pentium2.. there is definetly some large changes. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/66/Pent...

that entire top section does not exist with the regular pentium2.
that cant be marketing..
however i know this doesent speak for the newer xeon line.

Edit: sorry for the Resurrection..

Sounds about right that somebody named Phoenix would resurrect an old thread :D 

However I will comment as this question comes up a LOT. Maybe we need a sticky about "differences between Opterons/Xeons and consumer chips."

1. Only Opterons/Xeons can work in motherboards with more than one socket and have more than one CPU work. Putting two Core i7s into a dual LGA1366 or LGA2011 board does not work.

2. Only Xeons can support ECC memory on LGA1155, LGA1156, LGA1366, and LGA2011 motherboards. A regular Core i3/i5/i7 CPU does not support ECC. However, AMD's Athlon/Phenom and FX series CPUs do support ECC.

3. Only Xeons and Opterons can support registered memory; desktop CPUs cannot use it. And even then, not all Opterons and Xeons support registered memory, although the majority of them do.

4. Motherboards made for Opterons and Xeons are often much different than those for desktop CPUs. Many of them have a lot more RAM slots than desktop boards. There often is more than one CPU socket. They do not allow for overclocking (the only exception is the EVGA SR series) and are generally of higher quality than boards made for desktop CPUs. They also can and often do have more expansion slot bandwidth due to the ability of multiple CPUs supporting multiple northbridges and multiple on-CPU PCIe controllers. Older Opteron and Xeon boards also had unique expansion slots like PCI-X that very few desktop boards had.

5. Opterons and Xeons made for 4-socket and higher operation (such as the Xeon 7000 series, Xeon E5-4xxx, E7-4xxx/8xxx, Opteron 6000 series) are often very different from contemporary desktop CPUs as they usually have more cores, more L3 cache, more memory controller channels, and sometimes considerably different physical packaging than desktop CPUs.

6. Oh, and Opterons and Xeons are more expensive than desktop CPUs, sometimes a lot more expensive.
a c 186 à CPUs
March 18, 2012 3:42:19 PM

This is a 9 year old thread! XD
!