Norton SystemWorks 2005: patchNSW and Windows Installer

I've been running NSW 2005 for over 6 months with no problems . . . Until now.

When I run LiveUpdate, the latest Norton SystemWorks program update is
downloaded, but it won't install; i.e., the installation stalls and comes to
a complete halt and a “Windows Installer” window is displayed, requesting the
installation package ‘patchNSW’.

I downloaded a 'patchNSW-std.exe' file from the Norton/Symantec site, but
when I tried to open/install it, a "Patch Not Applied" error message was
display, stating that "The application you are trying top patch is not
currently installed on this system" Huh ???????????

Apparently, NSW 2005 is not being recognized -- even though it's fully
functional -- which is why 'patchNSW can't be installed and the latest Norton
SystemWorks program updates can't be installed.

Norton/Sysmantec's response after more than a week of ongoing emails has
simply been to throw as many meaningless "solutions" against the wall as
they can, hoping that something will stick. Trust me -- it hasn't!

To date, no workaround that Symantec has suggested has worked, so I'm
looking for suggestions.

Note: Please be advise that I'm a 10+ year Norton user who is about this
far away ( thumb and index finger 1/2 inch apart) from wiping every trace of
Norton/ Symantec from every PC I own), but I'd like to hear any potential
solutions to my problem before I pull the plug on Norton for good.
7 answers Last reply
More about norton systemworks 2005 patchnsw windows installer

    =?Utf-8?B?WW91a2E=?= wrote:

    > I've been running NSW 2005 for over 6 months with no problems . . . Until now.

    This has nothing, I repeat, NOTHING to do with WinXP. If you run dodgy
    apps you will experience dodgy performance.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    "Plato" wrote:

    > This has nothing, I repeat, NOTHING to do with WinXP. If you run dodgy
    > apps you will experience dodgy performance.

    Sorry if this was not the appropriate group for this posting. Although my
    problem has "nothing to do with WinXP" directly, I've always found this
    forum/community
    to be an extremely helpful resource for "indirect" XP-based s/w issues and
    problems. If this offends you, I apologize.

    The usual response from symantec, in my experience, is to uninstall, use the
    symantec utility to completely remove, then reinstall.
    I also have been a Norton user for many years, I purchased a multi user
    licence for NIS2005, on one pc there has been endless problems and on a
    second there have been occassional probs. I didnt install on the others.
    I've now got completely removing, reinstalling NIS down to a fine art. I'll
    probably go elsewhere when the licence expires.

    "Youka" <Youka@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I've been running NSW 2005 for over 6 months with no problems . . . Until
    now.

    > When I run LiveUpdate, the latest Norton SystemWorks program update is
    > downloaded, but it won't install; i.e., the installation stalls and comes
    > a complete halt and a "Windows Installer" window is displayed, requesting
    the
    > installation package 'patchNSW'.
    >
    > I downloaded a 'patchNSW-std.exe' file from the Norton/Symantec site, but
    > when I tried to open/install it, a "Patch Not Applied" error message was
    > display, stating that "The application you are trying top patch is not
    > currently installed on this system" Huh ???????????
    >
    > Apparently, NSW 2005 is not being recognized -- even though it's fully
    > functional -- which is why 'patchNSW can't be installed and the latest
    Norton
    > SystemWorks program updates can't be installed.
    >
    > Norton/Sysmantec's response after more than a week of ongoing emails has
    > simply been to throw as many meaningless "solutions" against the wall as
    > they can, hoping that something will stick. Trust me -- it hasn't!
    >
    > To date, no workaround that Symantec has suggested has worked, so I'm
    > looking for suggestions.
    >
    > Note: Please be advise that I'm a 10+ year Norton user who is about this
    > far away ( thumb and index finger 1/2 inch apart) from wiping every trace
    of
    > Norton/ Symantec from every PC I own), but I'd like to hear any potential
    > solutions to my problem before I pull the plug on Norton for good.

    I have been a Norton fan for years, but when I have to find out via this
    newsgroup that their email Scanning program is best when DISabled I get
    nervous. I found out the hard way after having lost huge folders of emails.
    Not only that but Norton's "customer care" is rather pathetic.

    =?Utf-8?B?UHV0aW4=?= wrote:

    > I have been a Norton fan for years, but when I have to find out via this
    > newsgroup that their email Scanning program is best when DISabled I get
    > nervous. I found out the hard way after having lost huge folders of emails.
    > Not only that but Norton's "customer care" is rather pathetic.

    _ANY_ email scanning program should be disabled. This is NOT just a
    nortons thinggy.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    I am no fan of Norton, so I am not sticking up for them.

    Scanning E-mail with any brand of AV can cause problems with OE.

    The Other E-Mail Threat: File Corruption in Outlook Express
    Published: November 18, 2004
    By Tom Koch
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx

    [[As surprising and ironic as it may seem though, the most common cause of
    DBX corruption is not a virus, but rather anti-virus programs that are
    configured to scan incoming or outgoing e-mail. Even the most well-known
    anti-virus programs have exhibited this problem from time to time. ]]

    Scroll down to:
    Viral Irony: The Most Common Cause of Corruption
    or click...
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/IE/community/columns/filecorruption.mspx#EEAA

    ----

    [[In fact, .]]
    Messages in Inbox or other mail folders disappear
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/problems/bugs.htm#mailgone

    ----

    [[Disabling Email Scanning does not leave you unprotected against viruses
    that are distributed as email attachments. Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect
    scans incoming files as they are saved to your hard drive, including email
    and email attachments. Email Scanning is just another layer on top of this.
    To make sure that Auto-Protect is providing the maximum protection, keep
    Auto-Protect enabled and run LiveUpdate regularly to ensure that you have
    the most recent virus definitions.]]
    Frequently asked questions about Norton AntiVirus Email Scanning
    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nav.nsf/d4578f66d8f00a0188256d4e006aaa94/4ba5fc8ef939c44c88256c7500723cf0?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:ED5B12BE-6FC8-4D34-8069-5E78CDD3417F@microsoft.com,
    Putin <Putin@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    =?Utf-8?B?WW91a2E=?= wrote:

    > > This has nothing, I repeat, NOTHING to do with WinXP. If you run dodgy
    > > apps you will experience dodgy performance.

    After years of seeing nortons problems in person on hundreds of pcs you
    get sorta mad at them on occasion. I'm not anti their virus scanner tho,
    especially in homes with teens that use aol. Perhaps you can dump the
    rest and just use their anti-virus.

    > Sorry if this was not the appropriate group for this posting. Although my
    > problem has "nothing to do with WinXP" directly, I've always found this
    > forum/community
    > to be an extremely helpful resource for "indirect" XP-based s/w issues and
    > problems. If this offends you, I apologize.

Norton Windows Installer Windows XP