Vista I will not be buying

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I apologize for the rant.

http://snipurl.com/hbl7

I have made my decision

Vista I will not be buying.

No one is not going to tell me. I can't have access to a part of the
computer or the hard drive. Imagine if a virus, spyware or adaware
got into that protected area and a virus program could not clean it.

I'm Sticking with xp & windows 98se forever.

If I have to get a new computer it will be either mac or linux system.

Greg Ro

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <3njnkhF1rd08U1@individual.net>, webworm11@lycosy.com says...
> I apologize for the rant.
>
> http://snipurl.com/hbl7
>
> I have made my decision
>
> Vista I will not be buying.
>
> No one is not going to tell me. I can't have access to a part of the
> computer or the hard drive. Imagine if a virus, spyware or adaware
> got into that protected area and a virus program could not clean it.
>
> I'm Sticking with xp & windows 98se forever.
>
> If I have to get a new computer it will be either mac or linux system.

So, what you're saying, is that you want the option to be able to steal
media if you choose and it's not the right of the OS vendor to limit you
in any way?

--

spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:47:33 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

>In article <3njnkhF1rd08U1@individual.net>, webworm11@lycosy.com says...
>> I apologize for the rant.
>>
>> http://snipurl.com/hbl7
>>
>> I have made my decision
>>
>> Vista I will not be buying.
>>
>> No one is not going to tell me. I can't have access to a part of the
>> computer or the hard drive. Imagine if a virus, spyware or adaware
>> got into that protected area and a virus program could not clean it.
>>
>> I'm Sticking with xp & windows 98se forever.
>>
>> If I have to get a new computer it will be either mac or linux system.
>
>So, what you're saying, is that you want the option to be able to steal
>media if you choose and it's not the right of the OS vendor to limit you
>in any way?

Quit putting words into my mouth. I did not say I had the right to
steal.

The OS should not be able to control what I do or don't do period.
That not the operating system responsibility. That is mine. I want
to see everything and have access to everything on the computer
period.

Let use this analogy.
Some one builds you a home.
They put a private room in
Only Microsoft and Certain people can use it. You are not allowed
access to it. Even through it is in your own house.

Greg Ro

> In article <3njnkhF1rd08U1@individual.net>, webworm11@lycosy.com says...
>> I apologize for the rant.
>>
>> http://snipurl.com/hbl7
>>
>> I have made my decision
>>
>> Vista I will not be buying.
>>
>> No one is not going to tell me. I can't have access to a part of the
>> computer or the hard drive. Imagine if a virus, spyware or adaware
>> got into that protected area and a virus program could not clean it.
>>
>> I'm Sticking with xp & windows 98se forever.
>>
>> If I have to get a new computer it will be either mac or linux system.
>
> So, what you're saying, is that you want the option to be able to steal
> media if you choose and it's not the right of the OS vendor to limit you
> in any way?

I'm not sure exactly what restrictions Vista will have, as well as other
electronic devices, but some of us have an "issue" with what is considered
fair use. Will Vista prohibit me from burning a backup CD of software or
music? I'm entitled to do so, IMO. This is not a piracy issue in my case,
although I can see it being so for some others.

Leythos wrote:
> In article <3njnkhF1rd08U1@individual.net>, webworm11@lycosy.com
> says...
>> I apologize for the rant.
>>
>> http://snipurl.com/hbl7
>>
>> I have made my decision
>>
>> Vista I will not be buying.
>>
>> No one is not going to tell me. I can't have access to a part of the
>> computer or the hard drive. Imagine if a virus, spyware or adaware
>> got into that protected area and a virus program could not clean it.
>>
>> I'm Sticking with xp & windows 98se forever.
>>
>> If I have to get a new computer it will be either mac or linux
>> system.
>
> So, what you're saying, is that you want the option to be able to
> steal media if you choose and it's not the right of the OS vendor to
> limit you in any way?

Hey Lameboy! PA and WGA already screw people who have stolen nothing at
all. More copy-protection will garner more problem for people doing
absolutely nothing illegal.

So F*#K YOU and all your BILLIONAIRE Hollywood & Redmond buddies. You
are a total brownshirt for the corporate copyright elite.

--
Peace!
Kurt

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

> In article <3njnkhF1rd08U1@individual.net>, webworm11@lycosy.com says...

>> I apologize for the rant.
>>
>> http://snipurl.com/hbl7
>>
>> I have made my decision
>>
>> Vista I will not be buying.
>>
>> No one is not going to tell me. I can't have access to a part of the
>> computer or the hard drive. Imagine if a virus, spyware or adaware
>> got into that protected area and a virus program could not clean it.
>>
>> I'm Sticking with xp & windows 98se forever.
>>
>> If I have to get a new computer it will be either mac or linux system.

> So, what you're saying, is that you want the option to be able to steal
> media if you choose and it's not the right of the OS vendor to limit you
> in any way?

That's not what he's saying. What he's saying is that he trusts himself
more than he trusts his OS vendor. It's a question of who should have the
keys to his computer, him or Microsoft. He chooses himself. I would too.

DS

Relic

GregRo wrote:
> I apologize for the rant.
>
> http://snipurl.com/hbl7
>
> I have made my decision
>
> Vista I will not be buying.
>
> No one is not going to tell me. I can't have access to a part of the
> computer or the hard drive. Imagine if a virus, spyware or adaware
> got into that protected area and a virus program could not clean it.
>
> I'm Sticking with xp & windows 98se forever.
>
> If I have to get a new computer it will be either mac or linux system.
>
> Greg Ro

I hope you can sleep at night if Microsoft goes bankrupt.

--
If there is a Tourist Season, how come we can't shoot them?

relic wrote:
> GregRo wrote:
>> I apologize for the rant.
>>
>> http://snipurl.com/hbl7
>>
>> I have made my decision
>>
>> Vista I will not be buying.
>>
>> No one is not going to tell me. I can't have access to a part of the
>> computer or the hard drive. Imagine if a virus, spyware or adaware
>> got into that protected area and a virus program could not clean it.
>>
>> I'm Sticking with xp & windows 98se forever.
>>
>> If I have to get a new computer it will be either mac or linux
>> system. Greg Ro
>
> I hope you can sleep at night if Microsoft goes bankrupt.

LOL! The software piracy rate was much higher in 1994 than it was in
2000 before MS implimented its copy-protection, PA. I don't seem to
remember that MS was anywhere close to bankruptcy!

--
Peace!
Kurt
Self-anointed Moderator
microscum.pubic.windowsexp.gonorrhea
http://microscum.com/mscommunity
"Produkt-Aktivierung macht frei"

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002

GregRo wrote:

> I apologize for the rant.
>
> http://snipurl.com/hbl7
>
> I have made my decision
>
> Vista I will not be buying.
>
> No one is not going to tell me. I can't have access to a part of the
> computer or the hard drive. Imagine if a virus, spyware or adaware
> got into that protected area and a virus program could not clean it.
>
> I'm Sticking with xp & windows 98se forever.
>
> If I have to get a new computer it will be either mac or linux system.
>
> Greg Ro

Who cares what you do - stick or don't stick - who cares.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hello, Thanks for the information.
Certain people do not understand the erosion of basic rights. No matter what
they state they "just don't get it".
Microsoft may have future problems but not with file sharing or copying in
the U.S. or Europe. Their problem will be with China, India and Google.
take care.
beamish.

In article <eX08k9ZrFHA.3604@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, webworm12
@yes.lycs.com says...
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:47:33 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:
>
> >In article <3njnkhF1rd08U1@individual.net>, webworm11@lycosy.com says...
> >> I apologize for the rant.
> >>
> >> http://snipurl.com/hbl7
> >>
> >> I have made my decision
> >>
> >> Vista I will not be buying.
> >>
> >> No one is not going to tell me. I can't have access to a part of the
> >> computer or the hard drive. Imagine if a virus, spyware or adaware
> >> got into that protected area and a virus program could not clean it.
> >>
> >> I'm Sticking with xp & windows 98se forever.
> >>
> >> If I have to get a new computer it will be either mac or linux system.
> >
> >So, what you're saying, is that you want the option to be able to steal
> >media if you choose and it's not the right of the OS vendor to limit you
> >in any way?
>
> Quit putting words into my mouth. I did not say I had the right to
> steal.
>
> The OS should not be able to control what I do or don't do period.
> That not the operating system responsibility. That is mine. I want
> to see everything and have access to everything on the computer
> period.
>
> Let use this analogy.
> Some one builds you a home.
> They put a private room in
> Only Microsoft and Certain people can use it. You are not allowed
> access to it. Even through it is in your own house.

Lets see, you buy an OS, it permits you to do anything legal that you
want, you can copy music, you can copy video, all as long as you have a
legal right to it - what part are you left without?

Your analogy should be more like:

You buy a house.
You want to make crack in it.
The government has rules against it - you have a choice.
You start making crack.
You get your home taken away by the government.

--

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:20:22 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:

>In article <eX08k9ZrFHA.3604@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, webworm12
>@yes.lycs.com says...
>> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:47:33 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <3njnkhF1rd08U1@individual.net>, webworm11@lycosy.com says...

>> >So, what you're saying, is that you want the option to be able to steal
>> >media if you choose and it's not the right of the OS vendor to limit you
>> >in any way?
>>
>> Quit putting words into my mouth. I did not say I had the right to
>> steal.
>>
>> The OS should not be able to control what I do or don't do period.
>> That not the operating system responsibility. That is mine. I want
>> to see everything and have access to everything on the computer
>> period.
>>
>> Let use this analogy.
>> Some one builds you a home.
>> They put a private room in
>> Only Microsoft and Certain people can use it. You are not allowed
>> access to it. Even through it is in your own house.
>
>Lets see, you buy an OS, it permits you to do anything legal that you
>want, you can copy music, you can copy video, all as long as you have a
>legal right to it - what part are you left without?
>
>Your analogy should be more like:
>
>You buy a house.
>You want to make crack in it.
>The government has rules against it - you have a choice.
>You start making crack.
>You get your home taken away by the government.

My point is I want to have access to everything on may hard drive and
in my computer.

If I choose to break a law that is my choice not the operating system.
I don't need a net nanny that for kids. Which I don't break any laws
for the record. Microsoft and Hollywood assumes everyone is a
criminal out to get them.

What if a virus, spyware, or adware program got into the protected
area and the virus, spyware or adware protection program could not
clean it out? This will happen.

If you want to buy vista go right ahead. I made my decision based on
those and other articles.

If every I do get vista is will be only because a job requires or
Microsoft sent me a free version

Greg Ro

> Lets see, you buy an OS, it permits you to do anything legal that you
> want, you can copy music, you can copy video, all as long as you have a
> legal right to it - what part are you left without?
>
> Your analogy should be more like:
>
> You buy a house.
> You want to make crack in it.
> The government has rules against it - you have a choice.
> You start making crack.
> You get your home taken away by the government.

The OS has no capability to determine what is legal and what is not. All
it can do is enforce a configured policy, configured by a person who may or
may not know what is legal. The whole point of this type of technology is to
permit the enforcement of restrictions that are *not* found in the law.

DS

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <uDY#XAarFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, ntotrr@optonline.net
says...
> I'm not sure exactly what restrictions Vista will have, as well as other
> electronic devices, but some of us have an "issue" with what is considered
> fair use. Will Vista prohibit me from burning a backup CD of software or
> music? I'm entitled to do so, IMO. This is not a piracy issue in my case,
> although I can see it being so for some others.

From what I've read, it only limits actions of what most of us would
consider pirating materials. Right now, if I stick my CD in the drive
and have WMP rip it to MP3's, it checks something and lets me do it -
and adds a license for it to my machine.

Seems to me that only pirates will have any issues with doing illegal
things with Vista. Read his link if you want to see.

--

Leythos wrote:
> In article <uDY#XAarFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
> ntotrr@optonline.net says...
>> I'm not sure exactly what restrictions Vista will have, as well as
>> other electronic devices, but some of us have an "issue" with what
>> is considered fair use. Will Vista prohibit me from burning a
>> backup CD of software or music? I'm entitled to do so, IMO. This
>> is not a piracy issue in my case, although I can see it being so for
>> some others.
>
> From what I've read, it only limits actions of what most of us would
> consider pirating materials. Right now, if I stick my CD in the drive
> and have WMP rip it to MP3's, it checks something and lets me do it -
> and adds a license for it to my machine.
>
> Seems to me that only pirates will have any issues with doing illegal
> things with Vista. Read his link if you want to see.

The imagined pirates of the corporate copyright elite, those that
exercise their legal "fair use" rights.

--

> Leythos wrote:
>> In article <uDY#XAarFHA.1172@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>,
>> ntotrr@optonline.net says...
>>> I'm not sure exactly what restrictions Vista will have, as well as
>>> other electronic devices, but some of us have an "issue" with what
>>> is considered fair use. Will Vista prohibit me from burning a
>>> backup CD of software or music? I'm entitled to do so, IMO. This
>>> is not a piracy issue in my case, although I can see it being so for
>>> some others.
>>
>> From what I've read, it only limits actions of what most of us would
>> consider pirating materials. Right now, if I stick my CD in the drive
>> and have WMP rip it to MP3's, it checks something and lets me do it -
>> and adds a license for it to my machine.
>>
>> Seems to me that only pirates will have any issues with doing illegal
>> things with Vista. Read his link if you want to see.
>
> The imagined pirates of the corporate copyright elite, those that exercise
> their legal "fair use" rights.

The libraries, scholars, and legal analysts have been warning for at least
five years that fair use rights are being destroyed completely by the MPAA,
RIAA, and a subservient federal system, under both Clinton and Bush.

see

www.eff.org

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <3nju9hF1taitU1@individual.net>, webworm11@lycosy.com says...
> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 20:20:22 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:
>
> >In article <eX08k9ZrFHA.3604@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, webworm12
> >@yes.lycs.com says...

> >> Quit putting words into my mouth. I did not say I had the right to
> >> steal.
> >>
> >> The OS should not be able to control what I do or don't do period.
> >> That not the operating system responsibility. That is mine. I want
> >> to see everything and have access to everything on the computer
> >> period.
> >>
> >> Let use this analogy.
> >> Some one builds you a home.
> >> They put a private room in
> >> Only Microsoft and Certain people can use it. You are not allowed
> >> access to it. Even through it is in your own house.
> >
> >Lets see, you buy an OS, it permits you to do anything legal that you
> >want, you can copy music, you can copy video, all as long as you have a
> >legal right to it - what part are you left without?
> >
> >Your analogy should be more like:
> >
> >You buy a house.
> >You want to make crack in it.
> >The government has rules against it - you have a choice.
> >You start making crack.
> >You get your home taken away by the government.
>

> My point is I want to have access to everything on may hard drive and
> in my computer.
>
> If I choose to break a law that is my choice not the operating system.
> I don't need a net nanny that for kids. Which I don't break any laws
> for the record. Microsoft and Hollywood assumes everyone is a
> criminal out to get them.
>
> What if a virus, spyware, or adware program got into the protected
> area and the virus, spyware or adware protection program could not
> clean it out? This will happen.
>
> If you want to buy vista go right ahead. I made my decision based on
> those and other articles.
>
> If every I do get vista is will be only because a job requires or
> Microsoft sent me a free version

There is no "Protected Area" there is just a restriction on what you can
copy. Where do you get the idea that there is some magical area reserved
on your drive?

Your assumption about "protected area" is wrong, as is your reasoning.

--

> There is no "Protected Area" there is just a restriction on what you can
> copy. Where do you get the idea that there is some magical area reserved
> on your drive?
>
> Your assumption about "protected area" is wrong, as is your reasoning.

Suppose a virus or other piece of malware managed to protect itself such
that I could not copy it. That would mean that I could not send it to an
expert for analysis or copy it onto another uninfected machine myself to
figure out how to disentangle it from my system.

Right?

DS

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <11h9p8mlgb14vd4@corp.supernews.com>, none@none.net says...
> The libraries, scholars, and legal analysts have been warning for at least
> five years that fair use rights are being destroyed completely by the MPAA,
> RIAA, and a subservient federal system, under both Clinton and Bush.

And how is that relevant to Vista? If vista does not stop one from doing
legal things, then it's not really an issue, is it.

--

Leythos wrote:
> In article <11h9p8mlgb14vd4@corp.supernews.com>, none@none.net says...
>> The libraries, scholars, and legal analysts have been warning for at
>> least five years that fair use rights are being destroyed completely
>> by the MPAA, RIAA, and a subservient federal system, under both
>> Clinton and Bush.
>
> And how is that relevant to Vista? If vista does not stop one from
> doing legal things, then it's not really an issue, is it.

If you hardware doesn't meet some arbitrary MS/Hollywood requirement,
then you won't be able to view hi-def video content.

That is an erosion of my "fair use" rights on the hi-def equipment I
already own.

--

In article <#Zh8a7brFHA.3604@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>,
dontemailme@anywhereintheknowuniverse.org says...
> Leythos wrote:
> > In article <11h9p8mlgb14vd4@corp.supernews.com>, none@none.net says...
> >> The libraries, scholars, and legal analysts have been warning for at
> >> least five years that fair use rights are being destroyed completely
> >> by the MPAA, RIAA, and a subservient federal system, under both
> >> Clinton and Bush.
> >
> > And how is that relevant to Vista? If vista does not stop one from
> > doing legal things, then it's not really an issue, is it.
>
> If you hardware doesn't meet some arbitrary MS/Hollywood requirement,
> then you won't be able to view hi-def video content.
>
> That is an erosion of my "fair use" rights on the hi-def equipment I
> already own.

I my wide screen TV is not HI-DEF ready, so I suppose that my rights
have been eroded too.

--

Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in

> In article <eX08k9ZrFHA.3604@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, webworm12
> @yes.lycs.com says...
>> On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:47:33 GMT, Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote:
>>
>> >In article <3njnkhF1rd08U1@individual.net>, webworm11@lycosy.com
>> >says...

>> >So, what you're saying, is that you want the option to be able to
>> >steal media if you choose and it's not the right of the OS vendor to
>> >limit you in any way?
>>
>> Quit putting words into my mouth. I did not say I had the right to
>> steal.
>>
>> The OS should not be able to control what I do or don't do period.
>> That not the operating system responsibility. That is mine. I want
>> to see everything and have access to everything on the computer
>> period.
>>
>> Let use this analogy.
>> Some one builds you a home.
>> They put a private room in
>> Only Microsoft and Certain people can use it. You are not allowed
>> access to it. Even through it is in your own house.
>
> Lets see, you buy an OS, it permits you to do anything legal that you
> want, you can copy music, you can copy video, all as long as you have
> a legal right to it - what part are you left without?
>
> Your analogy should be more like:
>
> You buy a house.
> You want to make crack in it.
> The government has rules against it - you have a choice.
> You start making crack.
> You get your home taken away by the government.

The real weak link in all of this stuff from Microsoft is the fact that
human beings experience the world in an analog fashion. The sound we
hear - no matter how well protected has to be converted to an audible
signal and the video we see has to be converted to a visual one - no
amount of digital protection will stop a fully protected device from
displaying its picture and speakers producing their sound.

I have an inline scan converter that the VGA output from the computer
attaches to - and then passes on to the computer. While inside the
little gizmo - it splits the video out to a NTSC standard output I have
attached to the VCR/DVD recorder. I bought a signal splitter for $2.00
for the audio and run one line into the VCR/DVD and the other into the
computer. Slower method of capture of course - real-time, instead os
just capturing bits - but works fine.

The articles I have read have stated Microsoft might fuzzy up the picture
so that HDTV quality would not be there - but would equal DVD-quality at
present-levels. I can live with that.

This "new" scheme is just that - a new "scheme" - the articles have
stated it will only work on Windows Media - so Microsoft is probably
salivating on how much money they can make selling something that will
not work - just as surely as DRM does not. Yes it works digitally - but
again folks live in an analog world and it does not work. Being doing
this for years with internet audio I wanted to capture - just hook the
audio out into my Dolby Digital Tape Recorder and capture on metal oxide
tape with excellent sound - and digital too!!

cya

a fools game from Microsoft on DRM

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

evieg <evieg@noway.com> wrote in

> Leythos <void@nowhere.lan> wrote in
>
>> In article <eX08k9ZrFHA.3604@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, webworm12
>> @yes.lycs.com says...

>>> Quit putting words into my mouth. I did not say I had the right to
>>> steal.
>>>
>>> The OS should not be able to control what I do or don't do period.
>>> That not the operating system responsibility. That is mine. I
>>> want to see everything and have access to everything on the computer
>>> period.
>>>
>>> Let use this analogy.
>>> Some one builds you a home.
>>> They put a private room in
>>> Only Microsoft and Certain people can use it. You are not allowed
>>> access to it. Even through it is in your own house.
>>
>> Lets see, you buy an OS, it permits you to do anything legal that you
>> want, you can copy music, you can copy video, all as long as you have
>> a legal right to it - what part are you left without?
>>
>> Your analogy should be more like:
>>
>> You buy a house.
>> You want to make crack in it.
>> The government has rules against it - you have a choice.
>> You start making crack.
>> You get your home taken away by the government.
>>

> The real weak link in all of this stuff from Microsoft is the fact
> that human beings experience the world in an analog fashion. The
> sound we hear - no matter how well protected has to be converted to an
> audible signal and the video we see has to be converted to a visual
> one - no amount of digital protection will stop a fully protected
> device from displaying its picture and speakers producing their sound.
>
> I have an inline scan converter that the VGA output from the computer
> attaches to - and then passes on to the computer. While inside the
> little gizmo - it splits the video out to a NTSC standard output I
> have attached to the VCR/DVD recorder. I bought a signal splitter for
> $2.00 for the audio and run one line into the VCR/DVD and the other
> into the computer. Slower method of capture of course - real-time,
> instead os just capturing bits - but works fine.
>
> The articles I have read have stated Microsoft might fuzzy up the
> picture so that HDTV quality would not be there - but would equal
> DVD-quality at present-levels. I can live with that.
>
> This "new" scheme is just that - a new "scheme" - the articles have
> stated it will only work on Windows Media - so Microsoft is probably
> salivating on how much money they can make selling something that will
> not work - just as surely as DRM does not. Yes it works digitally -
> but again folks live in an analog world and it does not work. Being
> doing this for years with internet audio I wanted to capture - just
> hook the audio out into my Dolby Digital Tape Recorder and capture on
> metal oxide tape with excellent sound - and digital too!!
>
> cya
>
> a fools game from Microsoft on DRM

Just an extra note:

if all else fails - I just point my Sony Digital Camcorder at the screen
making certain of correct settings, etc and a perfect copy also the
achieved.

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

> Just an extra note:
>
> if all else fails - I just point my Sony Digital Camcorder at the screen
> making certain of correct settings, etc and a perfect copy also the
> achieved.

By the way (BTW)

When I say screen I mean computer monitor or television set - I do not mean
going into a Movie Theatre and using a Camcorder. I have looked at some of
that stuff and it is useless quality. I fully meant creating good quality
from and within your own environment and Microsoft should stay out of my
living room. Period.

Archived from groups: alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

In article <df310r$4pq$1@nntp.webmaster.com>, davids@webmaster.com
says...
> That's not what he's saying. What he's saying is that he trusts himself
> more than he trusts his OS vendor. It's a question of who should have the
> keys to his computer, him or Microsoft. He chooses himself. I would too.

But the vendor isn't doing anything that would impact anyone that isn't
doing anything unethical - at least nothing anyone has mentioned points
to the vendor blocking anything ethical.