Odd problem with laserjet 4500N ...

Ocassionally we have a problem with the local printer where 1 page
will drop a colour when a powerpoint presentation is printed ..

for example when we try to print 4 copies of a 22 page report page 15
has no yellow ... in each of the presentations.

My IT support says that the printer is old and needs to be replaced..
I say Bull the problem has to lie in the the origonal file (Office
2K), If it was in the printer the problem would be random would it
not?

Anyone seen this and know where I should be looking?

OS is W2K (fully patched)
files are Powerpoint from O2K SP2
Drivers are dated '00 I'm told they are the most recent but i doubt it
and will be checking.

How much memory in the Color LaserJet 4500N? Strange effects are sometimes
caused by an insufficient amount of memory in the printer. When a complicated
multi-color page hits the printer, memory fills up with the printer commands,
data that represents work-in-progress toward a final image, and the page image
buffer itself.

HP and its dealers have often sold laser printers under-configured with memory,
essentially with the minimum amount of memory permitted by the printer hardware.
I have made more than a few dollars upgrading laser printer memory to the max
possible, leading to reliable printer operation. For the most part, HP printers
use common off-the-shelf memory, albeit with high quality and with strict
conformance to industry JEDEC standards.

Also, what happens when you attempt to print page 15 all by itself?

.... Ben Myers

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<417e700d.12786755@news.charter.net>...
> How much memory in the Color LaserJet 4500N? Strange effects are sometimes
> caused by an insufficient amount of memory in the printer. When a complicated
> multi-color page hits the printer, memory fills up with the printer commands,
> data that represents work-in-progress toward a final image, and the page image
> buffer itself.
>
> HP and its dealers have often sold laser printers under-configured with memory,
> essentially with the minimum amount of memory permitted by the printer hardware.
> I have made more than a few dollars upgrading laser printer memory to the max
> possible, leading to reliable printer operation. For the most part, HP printers
> use common off-the-shelf memory, albeit with high quality and with strict
> conformance to industry JEDEC standards.
>
> Also, what happens when you attempt to print page 15 all by itself?
>
> ... Ben Myers

Thanks Ben... I had never thought of RAM ... the printer did work fine
for years but has recently stopped... I swapped the RAM from a working
printer with this one and that seems to have fixed the issue.. So I'm
guessing bad RAM ..

Bad RAM, or not enough RAM originally. How much RAM in the printer before and
after the swap of RAM??? My wild guess is that the amount of RAM increased.

.... Ben Myers

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message news:<41881dc6.42474278@news.charter.net>...
> Bad RAM, or not enough RAM originally. How much RAM in the printer before and
> after the swap of RAM??? My wild guess is that the amount of RAM increased.
>
> ... Ben Myers

Both machines report 32 Meg... the second however wont print at all
with the origional RAM

I would agree then that the original RAM somehow went bad. On the off chance
that corrosion is the cause, try cleaning the contacts with the eraser on the
back of a pencil. But it might be less of a waste of time to simply replace it.

.... Ben Myers