Sign in with
Your question

Surround Speakers all jumbled up (Rear Left <-> Front Center etc.)

Last response: in Windows 7
November 12, 2012 6:02:36 AM

A few weeks ago suddenly my surround speakers were jumbled up, and through no means of my own have I succeeded in bringing them back to normal.

Rear Left comes out of Front Center
Front Center comes out of Side Left
Side Right comes out of Front Left
Rear Right comes out of many speakers very mumbled
Side Left comes out of Side Right

I've already tried reinstalling the drivers, as well as using a beta driver. I've found out that apparently on the Macintosh (which I do not have, I have a PC) this problem can easily be rectified by altering "sound channels" ?

My configuration:

Regular Intel PC
Sound Blaster Xtreme Music
Windows 7 Ultimate
Creative Inspire T7900 7.1 Speaker set

(It all worked fine for years)

If anyone has any suggestions as how to reset / configure the speaker channels, I would greatly appreciate it!

Edit: When selecting my regular speakers connected to my soundcard, instead of my headphone, the system also freezes for a few seconds now. (Usually only the first time when it's ran).
November 12, 2012 9:59:02 PM

Unplug speakers and plug them back in, that should reset.
Go through SBXM setup and see if you can rectify it there.
Don't use Beta Drivers.
This is Windows 7 not Apple, wrong forum.
m
l
November 13, 2012 3:45:03 AM

Perhaps my post wasn't clear enough that I did not have a Macintosh (otherwise I would have not had this problem anymore) - I clarified it. Trying your proposed solution now: Unfortunately nothing changed.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 20, 2012 4:42:40 PM

Go to SB control panel and reset configurations to default.
m
l
November 20, 2012 7:10:58 PM

I fear that just made the test sound sound awful, but did nothing to the speaker channels :( 
m
l
November 25, 2012 11:27:28 AM

Have you tried switching the wires to match the mis-configuration ?
It all depends how many years too, just as video cards go bad, sound cards can do the same, remember all parts are made in China lately.
m
l
November 25, 2012 12:24:36 PM

Yeah I did try switching the wires, the problem does not seem to be in the speakers. I currently have no backup system where I can plug the sound card into to verify whether it went bad, but it seems to me to be an odd symptom for a sound card to go bad.
m
l
November 25, 2012 2:03:37 PM

If it's just slightly "cooked" it will do the trick.
m
l
December 6, 2012 5:14:14 AM

When selecting my regular speakers connected to my soundcard, instead of my headphone, the system also freezes for a few seconds now. (Usually only the first time when it's ran).
m
l
December 7, 2012 4:23:45 PM

Have you tried re-seating all cards and memory in the PC ?
Dust everything off while at it.
m
l
December 8, 2012 5:18:53 AM

I regularly dust the computer, but I have not tried reseating it; I will do that today and report back the results! (Why didn't I think of trying that)
m
l
!