Spontatneous Reboots GX-270

We have several hundred Dell GX-270s in my office. Over the last few
days, several of them have started to spontaneously reboot. Anyone
else have the same problem, and if so how did you resolve it.

Dennis

"Dennis Gross" <grossde@sec.gov> wrote in message
> We have several hundred Dell GX-270s in my office. Over the last few
> days, several of them have started to spontaneously reboot. Anyone
> else have the same problem, and if so how did you resolve it.
>
> Dennis

Have you verified that the (external) power source(s) for those boxes are
clean? If needed, swap some boxes around from (reboot) location to (good)
locations.

Aside from that, any error messages, any logs in the event viewer? What OS?
Has XP SP2 recently been installed or hotfixes?

Stew

rod

I have a similar problem and have pretty much decided it is heat. Make sure
you have plenty of ventilation as the GX260 and GX270 series run hot. I have
also lost about 7 hard drives and 3 power supplies in the last 8 months.

Rod

"Dennis Gross" <grossde@sec.gov> wrote in message
> We have several hundred Dell GX-270s in my office. Over the last few
> days, several of them have started to spontaneously reboot. Anyone
> else have the same problem, and if so how did you resolve it.
>
> Dennis

Remove the spyware.

Ted Zieglar

"Rod" <bigguy34NO@SPAMcox.com> wrote in message
>I have a similar problem and have pretty much decided it is heat. Make sure
>you have plenty of ventilation as the GX260 and GX270 series run hot. I
>have also lost about 7 hard drives and 3 power supplies in the last 8
>months.
>
> Rod

Any of the now-infamous "thermal event" messages?

Stew

rod

> "Rod" <bigguy34NO@SPAMcox.com> wrote in message
>>I have a similar problem and have pretty much decided it is heat. Make
>>sure you have plenty of ventilation as the GX260 and GX270 series run hot.
>>I have also lost about 7 hard drives and 3 power supplies in the last 8
>>months.
>>
>> Rod
>>

> Any of the now-infamous "thermal event" messages?
>

> Stew

Yep, you got it. Been there done that.

Rod

> Remove the spyware.
>
> Ted Zieglar

Spyware in a secure corporate network environment? Never! :)

Stew

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>"Rod" <bigguy34NO@SPAMcox.com> wrote in message
>>you have plenty of ventilation as the GX260 and GX270 series run hot

>Any of the now-infamous "thermal event" messages?

I must be missing something, our file server is a GX270, and it runs
so cool it occasionally spins its fans all the way down to silent.
Never had a thermal problem (or any other) with this box.

<William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote:
>>"Rod" <bigguy34NO@SPAMcox.com> wrote in message
>>>you have plenty of ventilation as the GX260 and GX270 series run hot
>
>>Any of the now-infamous "thermal event" messages?
>
> I must be missing something, our file server is a GX270, and it runs
> so cool it occasionally spins its fans all the way down to silent.
> Never had a thermal problem (or any other) with this box.

I don't think the (largest) mid-tower GX270s have quite as many issues with
this as do the smaller form factor models. Those small ones run warm - very
warm, and their case ventilation is almost non-existent.

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/search?board_id=oplex_other&submitted=true&q=thermal+event&x=0&y=0

The GX260s, 270s, and even some of the 280s seem to have this nasty habit
(some of them).

Stew

"S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:<_9Mhd.14128$T_.9640@bignews4.bellsouth.net>...
> <William P.N. Smith> wrote in message
>
> >>Any of the now-infamous "thermal event" messages?
> >
> > I must be missing something, our file server is a GX270, and it runs
> > so cool it occasionally spins its fans all the way down to silent.
> > Never had a thermal problem (or any other) with this box.
> >

> I don't think the (largest) mid-tower GX270s have quite as many issues with
> this as do the smaller form factor models. Those small ones run warm - very
> warm, and their case ventilation is almost non-existent.
>
> http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/search?board_id=oplex_other&submitted=true&q=thermal+event&x=0&y=0
>
> The GX260s, 270s, and even some of the 280s seem to have this nasty habit
> (some of them).
>

> Stew

Interestingly, I moved the box from the carpted floor to atop my desk,
and voila, no problem. I had a stand underneath the tower, but the
static must have been causing problems.