Sign in with
Your question

1980x1020 Samsung p2270HD (monitor/TV)

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 22, 2010 12:30:30 AM

Hello :) 

i'm using a samsung p2270HD with my current HD 5770
at first, i tried using HDMI-HDMI although the monitor is giving
problems (colours are messed up) with this (i did research, i'm not alone with this problem)

i'm using a connection which is working like this :

HD 5770>DVI-VGA>VGA port in p2270HD

what i'm wondering is, am i loseing out on any quality of any sort?
the cable is VGA but i'm plugging one end into a VGA to DVI adapter for the hd5770

tl;dr
is VGA still HD?
should i buy a DVI to DVI cable to replace my VGA one?
a b Ô Samsung
September 22, 2010 1:08:10 AM

You can still get 1920 x 1080 using VGA.

The only real issue is if you want to watch copy protected HD video content like a Blu-Ray movie on the monitor. Blu-Ray movie contain HDCP copy protection and requires a digital connection to get full resolution. VGA is analog.

I believe you can still watch Blu-Ray movies, but it will be at lower resolution.
September 22, 2010 3:39:03 PM

jaguarskx said:
You can still get 1920 x 1080 using VGA.

The only real issue is if you want to watch copy protected HD video content like a Blu-Ray movie on the monitor. Blu-Ray movie contain HDCP copy protection and requires a digital connection to get full resolution. VGA is analog.

I believe you can still watch Blu-Ray movies, but it will be at lower resolution.

Is it worth it to buy a dvi-dvi cable?
a b Ô Samsung
September 22, 2010 4:29:21 PM

I don't think it is absolutely necessary. The preference is to use a DVI cable, but VGA should be fine unless you notice issues like maybe some fuzziness.

I would get a DVI cable if and when you plan on watching copyprotect HD video though so that the resolution of the video does not get cut down which will have a small impact in video quality. I suppose it would look like DVD quality instead of the "prestine" quality Blu-Ray can offer.
!