The subwoofer of my PC speakers is making an irritating noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ammu_10

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
This irritating noise is just killing me. :fou: I have been using this speaker system for 2 years. It is from a brand named 'Creative' and seems very cheap. It has two speakers(which work fine) and that box like thing(which I suppose is called subwoofer or woofer whatever). Since Day 1 these subwoofers have been making a weird noise as if crackers are burning even when i do not do any audio related task. It was irritating but tolerable. But since the past week it has been making a noise as if there are bomb explosions even when i dont do any audio related task.. I am getting crazy as I cannot listen my favorite songs or play games but just hear this noise. All the connections are proper so that is not a case. Please provide a solution.
I suppose I will have to get new speaker system. Would it be better if get some speaker system without this box like thing?

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Buy an Altec Lansing system and be happy.

what type of sound are you referring to?

a crackling type sound or a loud booming sound?

crackling would be due to line interference normally from an unshielded cable or nearby device. it could also be something faulty in the speaker system.

booming sounds are what subwoofers do. they provide the deep low sounds of audio. there should be a knob on the back to adjust how much or how little you want this to happen. personally i like higher bass myself .

---

in my opinion 2.1 systems are better (with subwoofer) as the sound they produce is better. if you hate the low booming sounds of a subwoofer though you want a 2.0 set which doesnt include one.

go with logitech. budget concious speaker set, but for the money a great deal.

ammu_10

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011

Mine produce a booming sound and there is no knob on the back.(although most subwoofers have one) . I think i will go for a 2.0 set . Thanks for reply.

yeah...subwoofers BOOM....

its what they do. the two satelite speakers you have are capable of high and midtones but utterly fail when it comes to deep sounds. this is why we have subwoofers. they produce the very low sounds often found in music, movies and games.

--

2.0 speakers eliminate the subwoofer, but realize that you are not going to be able to accurately reproduce all sounds.

sounds likethere isnt anything wrong with your current speaker set.

--

by the way....you can just run an equalizer on your system which negates the really low hertz wavelengths of sound causing your subwoofer to remain pretty much inactive. and....best part is.....its free. go under your windows sound properties.

A broken or cold solder connection inside the speaker.
No- crackle does not come from unshielded cables, or a "nearby device". That's a fantasy.

Where did this guy learn how to troubleshoot audio? From a Cheerios box?

@soundguruman

i could say....where did you learn communication skills?... but i'll be civil here.

the OP wasn't super specific about what sort of issue was going on. the only constant was that there was some sort of booming noise coming from the subwoofer: which is what subwoofers do, producing low tones.

if there was crackling/popping/other strange noises then yes i agree it could be a solder connection inside the unit. however, my take on what he was describing was not that it was a problem such as this.

i will also agree that i should not have used the word crackle as you are correct this wouldnt be the sound from line interference. however, it is possible to have line interference at least with digital cables. i will concede that i do not know if the same applies to speaker cables as well, however i will say that it is possible to have interference from inside your case with a soundcard as i've seen this before myself...personally. rare and i doubt it is an issue here but i've seen it.

---

i will admit that i'm not an real audio guru, i never said i was. i know enough to get by and help out people with general questions. if some of my accumulated data is wrong, or if i mistakenly mention something that is wrong...correct it or tell me about it instead of acting high and mighty.

ammu_10

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011

Will you please suggest me a good speaker system for $50. I ought to get one.

The cracking is usually bad solder connections on the circuit board. A good tech can re-solder it.

Status
Not open for further replies.