Problem closing application during logoff...

The offending program AcroRd32.exe (acrobat reader) hangs the logoff
process if the user has a pdf open inside a webpage.

Previously, I used a logoff script to "kill.exe" the AcroRd32.exe which
would then allow the machine to finish the logoff process. In the
recent past, a patch (not sure which one).. has changed the logoff
process to start after all the users applications have closed.

I was investigating using the "Auto Endtask" registry options to kill
the application, but this does not seem to function.
7 answers Last reply
More about problem closing application logoff

    I partially agree with both of you..

    I would never dump acrobat reader and replace it with a free beta
    reader... It would never fly with my boss, or myself.

    I have however had problems with acrobat since ...the begining...
    Version 7 is however the best version I have ever installed.. faster,
    more stable.. and if actually asks me before changing file
    associations...

    I would prefer to get the "AutoEndTask" registry keys to work.. since
    this would fix future problems with multiple applications...
    I work in a massivly multiuser environment, where users dont
    necessarily wait to check if thier account logged off before walking
    away.

    I will try a uninstall/reinstall +update.. but I am fairly certain that
    it will end in the exact same results. The AcroRd32.exe will popup a
    message asking if i want to close the application.. then windows will
    start counting down to kill the application.. then it will just sit
    there waiting for someone to click on the button to kill the
    application or cancel the logoff.

    Tried the uninstall/reinstall + patch of acrobat reader...

    Same problem...

    Internet explorer closes, but the process AcroRd32.exe is still
    running. Then when acrobat realizes that you are logging off it pops up
    a message:

    "Adobe Reader
    One or more PDF documents are open inside a web browser. If you exit
    Adobe Reader now, those documents will be closed. Are you sure you want
    to exit?
    EXIT CANCEL"

    Then windows generates this popup:

    "End Program - AXWIN Frame Window
    This program is not responding.
    To return to Windows and check the status of the program, click Cancel.
    If you choose to end the program immediately, you will lose any unsaved
    data. To end the program now, click End Now.
    END NOW CANCEL"

    Dump Adobe. Get Foxit PDF Reader.

    Small, Fast, Clean, and FREE PDF Reader for Everyday Use
    http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

    Foxit PDF Reader 1.3 Beta Build 0708 beta
    http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Foxit_PDF_Reader/1102316680/1

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1125430679.809909.91870@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com,
    haferka <haferka@tamu.edu> hunted and pecked:
    > The offending program AcroRd32.exe (acrobat reader) hangs the logoff
    > process if the user has a pdf open inside a webpage.
    >
    > Previously, I used a logoff script to "kill.exe" the AcroRd32.exe which
    > would then allow the machine to finish the logoff process. In the
    > recent past, a patch (not sure which one).. has changed the logoff
    > process to start after all the users applications have closed.
    >
    > I was investigating using the "Auto Endtask" registry options to kill
    > the application, but this does not seem to function.

    It sounds like there is still an instance of IE running.
    If you CAD, do you see IE running?
    I'd check for spyware.

    --
    A Professional Amatuer...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
    "haferka" <haferka@tamu.edu> wrote in message
    > Tried the uninstall/reinstall + patch of acrobat reader...
    >
    > Same problem...
    >
    > Internet explorer closes, but the process AcroRd32.exe is still
    > running. Then when acrobat realizes that you are logging off it pops up
    > a message:
    >
    > "Adobe Reader
    > One or more PDF documents are open inside a web browser. If you exit
    > Adobe Reader now, those documents will be closed. Are you sure you want
    > to exit?
    > EXIT CANCEL"
    >
    > Then windows generates this popup:
    >
    > "End Program - AXWIN Frame Window
    > This program is not responding.
    > To return to Windows and check the status of the program, click Cancel.
    > If you choose to end the program immediately, you will lose any unsaved
    > data. To end the program now, click End Now.
    > END NOW CANCEL"

    Either get and use Foxit which is excellent or Upgrade Adobe Reader to v.7.03

    --
    Peter

    On 30 Aug 2005 12:37:59 -0700, "haferka" <haferka@tamu.edu> wrote:

    >The offending program AcroRd32.exe (acrobat reader) hangs the logoff
    >process if the user has a pdf open inside a webpage.

    This is a known problem with Acrord32. In Firefox or Mozilla you can
    configure it _not_ to open inside the browser, which avoids the
    whole problem. I don't know about MSIE though.

    Just do a Ctrl-Alt-Del after closing you browser. Select Acrord32
    and End Process -- it won't hurt anything.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "What in heaven's name brought you to Casablanca?"
    "My health. I came to Casablanca for the waters."
    "The waters? What waters? We're in the desert."
    "I was misinformed."

    In article <#3DvB3ZrFHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, 123WVogel955
    @comcast.net says...
    > Dump Adobe. Get Foxit PDF Reader.

    Ha Ha Ha - yea, dump something that works better than any other
    application I've seen in history for a beta application that doesn't
    have near the development time/resources and no where near the history.

    What the OP needs to do is uninstall Adobe Acrobat, download the new
    version, install it and then do the update if needed.

    If something like Acrobat is stopping the log off process the OP has
    other problems he's not seeing.

    --

    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me