Status
Not open for further replies.

erly_Cuylers

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
I have tried two so called mini subs one from Polk PSW111 and one from Energy ESW-M6. I have a set of Energy cf-50's and I could get as much bass from them as i did the PSW111 so I ditched it. months later I still feel as if these speakers are missing something so I broke down and bought a Sub. I picked the Energy ESW_M6 primarily because of price, space and "do not disturb the neighbours" factor. based on the reviews from newegg I got the impression that this Sub would have a more potent tone at lower levels. three weeks of breaking it in later I have concluded this Sub is not going to cut it. it's pretty good with tv in general it's ok for movies obviously it doesn't go low enough for full effect. so far I'm of the opinion it kind of sux with music. it just sounds like a mess the bass hides under the beat or the bass hides the rest and kind of muffled.

after my experience with mini Subs I'm convinced I need to go with a classic 12", such as the PSW, but figure it would be "too much" for me considering placement, and neighbour factor. I think articulation for music is more important to me than boom for movies. which is why I'm considering the HSU. I listen to a lot of death metal, ect. and one thing I've noticed about the bass lines is, it's less about boomy tone as it is more like another guitar in the mix, discrete and heavy (correct me if I'm wrong). so I think the trick would be to isolate the bass line and pronounce it. I don't think the typical low end Sub would be capable of that but cost is a factor. as long as the Sub does the basics for movies I'll be happy.

with the Polk I would assume the 12" cone would give the bass as much of a chance to breath as anything so any articulation would be more easily achieved, unless it hides under the boom and thud because of the bowl of the cone. the Polk sub, after all as over 200 5 egg reviews. the price is right on it but the size is almost too much. on the neighbour factor, the thing is, the way bass bleeds through walls and I have no impression of what kind of control will I have over it. how low on the volume will I have to go to keep 'em happy. can the Sub sustain articulation at lower volumes.

the HSU has a reputation of quality and articulation and everything about it is perfect for me. size is perfect price is right, I feel it will be enough for me but not too much for them. since it's down firing I believe it will solve a lot of placement issues. I do not want to get stuck with yet another "mini sub" that simply cannot do the job.

so the bottom line is for my needs should I go with a standard size Sub or can I find a good compact.

my budget is about $300 and thank you very much.

Solution
u listen to both?, if so, go with the one that sounds tighter, and yes you are corect with the sound of bass in death metal tunes, sounding like a guitar but deeper, and perhaps grundgy.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
u listen to both?, if so, go with the one that sounds tighter, and yes you are corect with the sound of bass in death metal tunes, sounding like a guitar but deeper, and perhaps grundgy.

Solution

erly_Cuylers

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
I'm also considering the Outlaw M8 sub outlaw seems rock conscience and the price and size is right. does anybody know what material the speaker cone is made of?

the Cerwin-Vega CMX 10s the price and size is right and I thought i heard CW is a Metal conscience company. plus it's a 10" cone

REL T3 or T2 which has a good rep but is pushing the price and size.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.