Too many processes running?

Hello my problem is I get a virtual memory low so I check it out and I have
DRWTSN32.EXE coming up under processes and it runs over 2500 processes of
DRWTSN32.EXE which makes my computer extremely slow. I'm probably wrong but
it happened earlier today and my friend told me to type in MSCONFIG in the
RUN menu and go to startup and disable all of them because I was running too
much, so I did and it worked. But after I had to restart later on in the day,
when it came up and I clicked on my Spyware or something it the processes
start coming back up and it was slow again. I'm not really sure what triggers
it but when it happens I can't really do anything unless I reset it. I've
never had this problem until I had to reinstall my Privacy program from
McAfee. Could that be a problem? I don't know, no clue. Does anyone have an
idea what could be making it go to that and help me fix it?
6 answers Last reply
More about processes running

    This is the Dr. Watson program debugger included in Windows. More info here:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308538

    Chris

    "Gabriel" wrote:

    > Hello my problem is I get a virtual memory low so I check it out and I have
    > DRWTSN32.EXE coming up under processes and it runs over 2500 processes of
    > DRWTSN32.EXE which makes my computer extremely slow. I'm probably wrong but
    > it happened earlier today and my friend told me to type in MSCONFIG in the
    > RUN menu and go to startup and disable all of them because I was running too
    > much, so I did and it worked. But after I had to restart later on in the day,
    > when it came up and I clicked on my Spyware or something it the processes
    > start coming back up and it was slow again. I'm not really sure what triggers
    > it but when it happens I can't really do anything unless I reset it. I've
    > never had this problem until I had to reinstall my Privacy program from
    > McAfee. Could that be a problem? I don't know, no clue. Does anyone have an
    > idea what could be making it go to that and help me fix it?

    I know this is a debugger. What I don't know is what is causing this to
    happen, since I've wrote this not too long ago it has happen twice, it just
    start running that over and over where my system can't handle it. How can I
    find out what is making that pop up over and over?

    "mibrnsurg" wrote:

    > This is the Dr. Watson program debugger included in Windows. More info here:
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308538
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > "Gabriel" wrote:
    >
    > > Hello my problem is I get a virtual memory low so I check it out and I have
    > > DRWTSN32.EXE coming up under processes and it runs over 2500 processes of
    > > DRWTSN32.EXE which makes my computer extremely slow. I'm probably wrong but
    > > it happened earlier today and my friend told me to type in MSCONFIG in the
    > > RUN menu and go to startup and disable all of them because I was running too
    > > much, so I did and it worked. But after I had to restart later on in the day,
    > > when it came up and I clicked on my Spyware or something it the processes
    > > start coming back up and it was slow again. I'm not really sure what triggers
    > > it but when it happens I can't really do anything unless I reset it. I've
    > > never had this problem until I had to reinstall my Privacy program from
    > > McAfee. Could that be a problem? I don't know, no clue. Does anyone have an
    > > idea what could be making it go to that and help me fix it?

    Gabriel

    Low virtual memory warnings appear as your hard drive fills up.. if you only
    have a small amount of RAM and your hard drive fills up, the messages become
    more frequent.. they do not appear because there are a few items in
    start-up.. I have 25 items showing in the MSCONFIG list..

    You need to look at cleaning out your drive, or buying a second unit to help
    with program installation and file saving.. XP's own Disk Cleanup will help
    you remove useless and/or unnecessary files.. at the very least, you should
    have 15% free space on your HDD, and 25% is even better.. this gives some
    space for your pagefile to play in..

    Slow response can be down to the above, and also spyware..

    Spyware and its associates lurk in all places.. P2P services are among the
    biggest spreaders of grief, so avoid programs like Kazaa for instance.. even
    if you install the so-called spyware free versions, files downloaded from
    these services can be devastating.. there are users of these services that
    deliberately make infected files available to the unwary.. others just do
    not realise that their systems are infecting those of others in a covert
    manner..

    Websites offering free programs often have 'sponsor' software that comes
    down with them.. it is important when installing free programs to look
    carefully at check boxes.. if you are given the option to NOT install
    sponsor material, take it..

    Something else to be wary about.. replying to e-mails that offer services
    that you really don't want.. replying very often leads to floods of other
    internet 'waste'.. just delete them.. and one more thing on this topic.. I
    have noticed that the Microsoft Cumulative Patch e-mail has surfaced again..
    Microsoft do NOT send patches out to 'Dear Friend' EVER.. do not open them..
    just delete them..

    Please try the processes below.. and do them in order.. none of the
    processes are beyond the abilities of a newbie user..

    A note before you start.. if you have any misgivings about turning off
    System Restore, then don't do it.. personally, I turn it off but I leave it
    up to you.. if you have tried to use System Restore recently, and it has not
    worked or given you error messages, then there is no point in keeping any
    restore points anyway..

    OK.. start by turning OFF the System Restore function.. click on the Start
    button.. right click on 'My Computer', then select Properties.. now select
    the 'System Restore' tab..

    Check the box "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all
    drives".. now click on 'Apply'.. you will be asked if it is ok to lose all
    restore points.. answer YES to this.. now click on 'OK'

    Now to the removal process..

    Run a one shot virus remover.. I have found that McAfee Stinger works for
    people.. download and run it..

    http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

    Another alternative is ..

    Finish this process first..

    You will also need to download Spyware removal software.. Spybot and Adaware
    are available at these websites.. both are free.. download and run them..
    don't forget to check for updates after you have started them..

    .... and this link is for the latest Microsoft helping..

    Spybot has the ability to immunize a system, but there is better for this
    function, so download and run Spyware Blaster too.. again, check for
    updates..

    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

    The above programs all need to be updated after the initial install.. do
    this, and then run them..

    Time to turn ON System Restore.. this is obviously like turning it OFF, so
    just reverse the procedure..

    If you have had your Internet browser hijacked, that is to say, you get
    redirected through a search engine NOT of your choosing, you will need
    different tools.. the best website for tools to rid yourself of home page
    hijackers is.............

    http://www.pchell.com

    Mark Hasting has put much work into this site.. it is an invaluable site,
    both for reference and fix-its..

    You must also run a firewall and anti-virus program.. here are some links
    for you..

    http://www.mcafee.com

    http://www.zonealarm.com

    http://www.kerio.com

    http://www.sygate.com

    http://www.grisoft.com

    If you do not run a firewall and anti-virus solution, you are leaving
    yourself open to attacks of all kinds.. these two types of program are your
    first line of defence..

    So by now, your system should be in reasonable shape.. you will have tools
    'locked and loaded', ready for weekly use against those who seek to destroy
    your pleasure.. incorporate these into a housekeeping policy that includes
    running Defragmenter and Disk Cleanup, and you will be able to easily
    maintain your system..

    Please return to this thread and provide feedback.. it is the only way that
    helpers here can determine how effective the advice given has been..

    Good luck..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Mike Hall \(MS-MVP\)" <mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

    >Gabriel
    >
    >Low virtual memory warnings appear as your hard drive fills up.. if you only
    >have a small amount of RAM and your hard drive fills up, the messages become
    >more frequent.. they do not appear because there are a few items in
    >start-up.. I have 25 items showing in the MSCONFIG list..

    Low virtual memory warnings can appear if the pagefile has been
    manually configured with a set maximum size and the virtual memory
    load increases to the point where nearly all of the maximum pagefile
    space is needed.

    <snip>

    >A note before you start.. if you have any misgivings about turning off
    >System Restore, then don't do it.. personally, I turn it off but I leave it
    >up to you.. if you have tried to use System Restore recently, and it has not
    >worked or given you error messages, then there is no point in keeping any
    >restore points anyway..

    For accurate and useful information about System Restore, how to use
    it, and how to keep it functioning properly please see MVP Bert
    Kinney's System Restore web pages at http://bertk.mvps.org/index.html

    >OK.. start by turning OFF the System Restore function.. click on the Start
    >button.. right click on 'My Computer', then select Properties.. now select
    >the 'System Restore' tab..
    >
    >Check the box "Turn off System Restore" or "Turn off System Restore on all
    >drives".. now click on 'Apply'.. you will be asked if it is ok to lose all
    >restore points.. answer YES to this.. now click on 'OK'

    That is bad advice, dangerously bad in fact. System Restore should
    never repeat never be disabled as part of a problem solving situation.
    If there are malware items contained in the System Restore data (and
    this can happen) then they are only a risk to the computer if System
    Restore is actually used to set the computer back to a previous date
    and time. And even then an infected but functioning computer is
    often preferable to one that is non-functioning and which cannot be
    restored.

    System Restore data can (and should) be purged of any malware content
    that is encapsulated in the archives, but only after the active
    infestation has been fixed and the computer is functioning normally.
    Then it is quite easy to do. First create a new System Restore point.
    Then use the Advanced Option in the Disk Cleanup utility to delete all
    but the most recent System Restore points.

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Gabriel

    You might want to shoot McAfee Privacy Service..

    --

    >I know this is a debugger. What I don't know is what is causing this to
    > happen, since I've wrote this not too long ago it has happen twice, it
    > just
    > start running that over and over where my system can't handle it. How can
    > find out what is making that pop up over and over?
    >
    > "mibrnsurg" wrote:
    >
    >> This is the Dr. Watson program debugger included in Windows. More info
    >> here:
    >>
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;308538
    >>
    >> Chris
    >>
    >> "Gabriel" wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hello my problem is I get a virtual memory low so I check it out and I
    >> > have
    >> > DRWTSN32.EXE coming up under processes and it runs over 2500 processes
    >> > of
    >> > DRWTSN32.EXE which makes my computer extremely slow. I'm probably wrong
    >> > but
    >> > it happened earlier today and my friend told me to type in MSCONFIG in
    >> > the
    >> > RUN menu and go to startup and disable all of them because I was
    >> > running too
    >> > much, so I did and it worked. But after I had to restart later on in
    >> > the day,
    >> > when it came up and I clicked on my Spyware or something it the
    >> > processes
    >> > start coming back up and it was slow again. I'm not really sure what
    >> > triggers
    >> > it but when it happens I can't really do anything unless I reset it.
    >> > I've
    >> > never had this problem until I had to reinstall my Privacy program from
    >> > McAfee. Could that be a problem? I don't know, no clue. Does anyone
    >> > have an
    >> > idea what could be making it go to that and help me fix it?

    Ron

    I do not consider it to be 'dangerously' bad advice.. if I did, I wouldn't
    suggest it.. it is something that I do, and I have had no 'dangerous' side
    effects ever from doing it..

    Bert's page is very good, and if that is the only problem that a user has, I
    am sure they would love to sit down and read it.. but when a user is
    panicking because their system is all screwed up and use of System Restore
    only seems to make things worse, they may not find the time or immediate
    desire to go through it..

    I rephrased the leading statement to partially accommodate what you had
    said.. for now, until somebody can prove to me that it is categorically
    dangerous to disable a System Restore that is most likely corrupted as all
    hell, my rephrase stands, and if that leads to you following me around,
    accusing me of advocating dangerous practice, then I guess that's how its
    going to be..

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User