Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What can you say about 2D to 3D conversion?

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
July 26, 2012 10:04:45 AM

For those who already tried it, does it look the same as original 3d? I read that Samsung tvs has this feature. Are there other tvs that have the same feature?

More about : conversion

July 26, 2012 10:09:49 AM

My lg smart 3d tv has this feature too. I tried it a couple of times and it works. But of course it can't be as good as original 3d.
m
0
l
July 27, 2012 12:29:01 AM

My 3d tv is also from lg and during the times I used this feature, I observed that how good it converts the 2d to 3d is also based on how the show was made. It depends on camera angles and effects. Another brand I know that has this feature is Panasonic.
m
0
l
Related resources
July 27, 2012 12:45:58 AM

I agree that it works but I don't really use it. I'm not a fan of this feature not because my lg is not doing it good but I believe if it's 2d then I should just watch it as that.
m
0
l
July 27, 2012 2:59:46 AM

But when you convert the programs in your lg tvs, does it entails more than 5 steps? If it does, I think it will be inconvenient doing that every time you want to convert something
m
0
l
July 27, 2012 4:20:07 AM

For my lg, it's easy. The remote of my tv has a button dedicated for 2d to 3d conversion.
m
0
l
July 27, 2012 4:53:37 AM

How about for other brands? Would you know if Samsung's or Panasonic's 2d to 3d conversion is as convenient as LG's? Or is LG the better when it comes to this feature?
m
0
l
July 27, 2012 5:24:53 AM

For their new remote I didn't see any button for 2d to 3d conversion but I know that their old remote has it. Both samsung and lg aimed to have less buttons on their new remotes which I think is a good idea.
m
0
l
July 27, 2012 5:32:07 AM

I would say so far I've had the best results on games. (i have the lm9600)
m
0
l
July 27, 2012 5:39:15 AM

yang0409 said:
For their new remote I didn't see any button for 2d to 3d conversion but I know that their old remote has it. Both samsung and lg aimed to have less buttons on their new remotes which I think is a good idea.


Yeah, but I think there are more people who appreciate lg's remote than samsung's. LG's remote is awkward to use at first because it resembles a wii controller but I think it's still better than samsung. I think the track pad in samsung's remote is more difficult to use.
m
0
l
July 27, 2012 5:55:19 AM

You guys are way off track on the thread.

3D in general gives me a headache, now automatic 2D-3D is worse. pass, thank you.
m
0
l
July 27, 2012 5:55:22 AM

Tom1283 said:
Yeah, but I think there are more people who appreciate lg's remote than samsung's. LG's remote is awkward to use at first because it resembles a wii controller but I think it's still better than samsung. I think the track pad in samsung's remote is more difficult to use.


I thought I was the only one who felt that using the remote was awkward. Although after a few months of using it I don't feel that way anymore. Probably it was just in the beginning because it was not really like the typical remote we're used to.
m
0
l
July 27, 2012 6:07:15 AM

jcoultas98 said:
You guys are way off track on the thread.

3D in general gives me a headache, now automatic 2D-3D is worse. pass, thank you.


Probably you might have watched from an active 3d tv. What I heard is that flickering, which is how active 3d normally works, causes headaches. I'm not sure about this though because my lg tv uses passive 3d which doesn't involve flickering.
m
0
l
July 27, 2012 3:30:53 PM

Movie Theater 3D gives me as much of a headache as any active 3DTV (which I own). The Flickering of the active set does not bother me. 3D in general gives me a massive headache. Active and passive each has their strengths and weaknesses. If you have not actually seen active 3D vs passive 3D, you don't have any idea which is better. Kudos to LG for their incredible marketing job on passive.

TLDR: Real 3D gives me a headache, Fake 3D is worse.
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 8:25:26 AM

Titanic re-released the film in 3D. It was shot in 2D. Did they use the same technique that the LG 3D TV 2D-3D remote applies when you press that button?
m
0
l
July 30, 2012 8:50:29 AM

jcoultas98 said:
Movie Theater 3D gives me as much of a headache as any active 3DTV (which I own). The Flickering of the active set does not bother me. 3D in general gives me a massive headache. Active and passive each has their strengths and weaknesses. If you have not actually seen active 3D vs passive 3D, you don't have any idea which is better. Kudos to LG for their incredible marketing job on passive.

TLDR: Real 3D gives me a headache, Fake 3D is worse.


In short, you just don't like the 2d to 3d conversion feature.

I agree though that active and passive 3d tvs have their own pros and cons. I experienced using both types and I find passive 3d more convenient for me.
m
0
l
July 31, 2012 4:52:55 AM

I think the level or tolerance or sensitivity for 3D varies among viewers. There are some models that you can control 3D depth, so you might want to try one.
m
0
l
August 1, 2012 8:40:32 AM

gabelevvvy said:
I think the level or tolerance or sensitivity for 3D varies among viewers. There are some models that you can control 3D depth, so you might want to try one.


Right! I think the new models of 3d tvs have the depth control feature too aside from the 2d ro 3d conversion. My lg has it and I can choose from 20 3d depth levels.
m
0
l
August 1, 2012 4:58:19 PM

This is very true.
From wiki:
It is believed that approximately 12% of people are unable to properly see 3D images, owing to a variety of medical conditions. According to another experiment up to 30% of people have very weak stereoscopic vision preventing depth perception based on stereo disparity. This nullifies or greatly decreases immersion effects of digital stereo to them.

There is also a group on the other end who are extremely sensitive to stereoscopic vision. Those people develop headaches regardless of the depth effect. Sometimes, our brain doesn't like to be fooled.
m
0
l
August 2, 2012 1:48:18 AM

I have an LG 3D TV and it has that feature as well. It does a fairly good job of converting 2D to 3D. However, the 3D is not as in-depth compared to a film that is already filmed in 3D.
m
0
l
August 3, 2012 7:42:15 AM

peteredward said:
I have an LG 3D TV and it has that feature as well. It does a fairly good job of converting 2D to 3D. However, the 3D is not as in-depth compared to a film that is already filmed in 3D.


I don't think we can really expect up converted materials to be as good as those that were originally shot in 3d. How many times have you used this feature? On the average, I use my lg's 2d to 3d conversion twice a week. I'm trying to use it with different kinds of shows. From news to talent shows to reality shows.
m
0
l
January 13, 2013 6:21:36 PM

Some 3D content is great and I prefer it to 2D. But most 3D is poorly shot and persistently annoying and horrible. Shooting in 3D takes much more technical expertise. I'd only recommend passive 3D TV's like Vizio and LG, which give a totally natural, headache-free, magical experience. 2D-to-3D conversion is always horrible, like warping the front of your screen without taking on the actual shapes of the objects being shown. The excellent conversion of Titanic cost many millions of dollars and was closely overseen by James Cameron himself. Computers aren't yet smart enough to know the real shapes of objects in a 2D video.
m
0
l
August 28, 2014 10:40:34 PM

2D to 3D video conversion is the process of transforming 2D ("flat") film to 3D form, which in almost all cases is stereo, so it is the process of creating imagery for each eye from one 2D image. And UFUWare 3D Converter is a great choice for converting 2D video to 3D, 3D video to 2d video format, 3d to 3d conversion.
m
0
l
!