Unknow files

Hi All
I have two files in, "C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Local Settings\Temp"
I can't delete them.
They are. (~DF871F and ~DFC9C) When I right click on one of them, then click
"delete" I get the message (Cannot delete (~DFC9C: or ~DF871F) It is being
used by another person or program).
I have run Ad-Aware SE, Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta1 and Norton AntiVirus
2005. and they find no problems.
Can any of you tell me what they are and/or how to get read of them?
Thanks

--
Mike H

This little freeware tends to work well for this
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/moveonboot.html Once installed just right click
the items and select the option to Delete files on next boot. Restart the
computer and the files will be removed before windows launches. Of course
the files don't go into the Recycle Bin so be careful with it.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Mike H" <MikeH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All
> I have two files in, "C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Local Settings\Temp"
> I can't delete them.
> They are. (~DF871F and ~DFC9C) When I right click on one of them, then
> click
> "delete" I get the message (Cannot delete (~DFC9C: or ~DF871F) It is being
> used by another person or program).
> I have run Ad-Aware SE, Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta1 and Norton AntiVirus
> 2005. and they find no problems.
> Can any of you tell me what they are and/or how to get read of them?
> Thanks
>
> --
> Mike H

"Mike H" <MikeH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have two files in, "C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Local
> Settings\Temp" I can't delete them.
> They are. (~DF871F and ~DFC9C) When I right click on one of them, then
> click "delete" I get the message (Cannot delete (~DFC9C: or ~DF871F) It
> is being used by another person or program).

Adjust the Windows Explorer in order to see all file extensions. When
done, you'll see most likely that the file names are "~DF871F.TMP" and
"~DFC9C.TMP". These temporary files are created and used by programs
running in the background as that message states.

> Can any of you tell me what they are and/or how to get read of them?

Why. Even when deleting (safe mode), they will re-appear after restart.

--
d-d

Hi Mike - The following is from my Blog, Defending Your Machine, addy in my
Signature below.

"Sometimes the tools below will find files which they are unable to delete
because they are in use.

A program called Copylock, here, http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc can
aid in the process of "replacing, moving, renaming or deleting one or many
files which are currently in use (e.g. system files like comctl32.dll, or
virus/trojan files.)"

Another is Killbox, here: http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.zip

A third which is a bit different but often very useful is Delete Invalid
File, here: http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm which handles invalid/UNC
file/folder name deleting, rather than the in use problem.

A fourth useful program is Unlocker, here:
..http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ " Simply right click the folder or file
and select Unlocker. If the folder or file is locked, a window listing of
lockers will appear. Simply select the lockers and click Unlock and you are
done!" Works as advertised and is particularly helpful in identifying
malware components which are 'protecting' each other."

--
Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:

"Mike H" <MikeH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All
> I have two files in, "C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Local
> Settings\Temp"
> I can't delete them.
> They are. (~DF871F and ~DFC9C) When I right click on one of them,
> then click "delete" I get the message (Cannot delete (~DFC9C: or
> ~DF871F) It is being used by another person or program).
> I have run Ad-Aware SE, Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta1 and Norton
> AntiVirus 2005. and they find no problems.
> Can any of you tell me what they are and/or how to get read of them?
> Thanks

Jim
Thank you for your help.
I used Unlocker to find out that the two files turned out to be part of
Microsoft AntiSpyware program
--
Mike H

"Jim Byrd" wrote:

> Hi Mike - The following is from my Blog, Defending Your Machine, addy in my
> Signature below.
>

> "Sometimes the tools below will find files which they are unable to delete
> because they are in use.
>
> A program called Copylock, here, http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc can
> aid in the process of "replacing, moving, renaming or deleting one or many
> files which are currently in use (e.g. system files like comctl32.dll, or
> virus/trojan files.)"
>
> Another is Killbox, here: http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.zip
>
> A third which is a bit different but often very useful is Delete Invalid
> File, here: http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm which handles invalid/UNC
> file/folder name deleting, rather than the in use problem.
>
> A fourth useful program is Unlocker, here:
> ..http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ " Simply right click the folder or file
> and select Unlocker. If the folder or file is locked, a window listing of
> lockers will appear. Simply select the lockers and click Unlock and you are
> done!" Works as advertised and is particularly helpful in identifying
> malware components which are 'protecting' each other."
>

> --
> Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
> My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
>
> "Mike H" <MikeH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All
> > I have two files in, "C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Local
> > Settings\Temp"
> > I can't delete them.
> > They are. (~DF871F and ~DFC9C) When I right click on one of them,
> > then click "delete" I get the message (Cannot delete (~DFC9C: or
> > ~DF871F) It is being used by another person or program).
> > I have run Ad-Aware SE, Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta1 and Norton
> > AntiVirus 2005. and they find no problems.
> > Can any of you tell me what they are and/or how to get read of them?
> > Thanks

YW, Mike - Glad you got it worked out.

--

> Jim
> Thank you for your help.
> I used Unlocker to find out that the two files turned out to be part
> of Microsoft AntiSpyware program
>
>> Hi Mike - The following is from my Blog, Defending Your Machine,
>> addy in my Signature below.
>>

>> "Sometimes the tools below will find files which they are unable to
>> delete because they are in use.
>>
>> A program called Copylock, here,
>> http://noeld.com/programs.asp?cat=misc can aid in the process of
>> "replacing, moving, renaming or deleting one or many files which are
>> currently in use (e.g. system files like comctl32.dll, or
>> virus/trojan files.)"
>>
>> Another is Killbox, here:
>> http://www.downloads.subratam.org/KillBox.zip
>>
>> A third which is a bit different but often very useful is Delete
>> Invalid File, here: http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm which handles
>> invalid/UNC file/folder name deleting, rather than the in use
>> problem.
>>
>> A fourth useful program is Unlocker, here:
>> ..http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/ " Simply right click the folder
>> or file and select Unlocker. If the folder or file is locked, a
>> window listing of lockers will appear. Simply select the lockers and
>> click Unlock and you are done!" Works as advertised and is
>> particularly helpful in identifying malware components which are
>> 'protecting' each other."
>>

>> --
>> Regards, Jim Byrd, MS-MVP
>> My Blog, Defending Your Machine, here:
>> http://defendingyourmachine.blogspot.com/
>>
>> "Mike H" <MikeH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Hi All
>>> I have two files in, "C:\Documents and Settings\Mike\Local
>>> Settings\Temp"
>>> I can't delete them.
>>> They are. (~DF871F and ~DFC9C) When I right click on one of them,
>>> then click "delete" I get the message (Cannot delete (~DFC9C: or
>>> ~DF871F) It is being used by another person or program).
>>> I have run Ad-Aware SE, Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta1 and Norton
>>> AntiVirus 2005. and they find no problems.
>>> Can any of you tell me what they are and/or how to get read of them?
>>> Thanks

TRENDING THREADS