AFM Lobster Ramp Too High: Helllp!

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

So I took apart my AFM today to put in a backboard decal. Boy was this
not worth the issue I am having now. I took off as little as possible
to do this, as I don't want to have to remove like 12
assemblies...Well, now the lobster ramp is sitting too high and balls
can't pass through (they hit the lock chute release and get stuck
there, also get stuck when the lock shoots them out. UGH!

I see a large metal standoff on the left of the shootout that is just
totally loose. Is that supposed to be there and tight? It jiggles
freely. Pushing down on it does seem to lower the wire ramp a bit, but
I see nothing under the playfield that this thing is supposed to grab
on to!

Also, I noticed the standoff was always loose as it was moving when a
ball came out of the lock chute, so I figure there must be some other
part I can tighten to lower this ramp.

Any ideas? This is killing me!!!!

Brad

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Got some more info.

I noticed there's a long metal post, the loose one, that seems to be
the one that holds the ramp closer to the playfield. It's screwed
together in 2 pieces.

I took off the top piece, and the bottom piece fell right out. Looks
like it's fastened on by a t-nut under the playfield. Well guess what?
The threads of the lower half of the post have BROKEN OFF into the
t-nut and inside the playfield!

So now I can only assume I'll not only need a new lower post, but also
a new t-nut...But now how do I get the broken off threaded piece of
metal out of that little hole without damaging it so I can screw
another one in?

Ay yay yay. What a mess. Help!

Brad

pt

Go through the parts list and make sure you have the right posts to
begin with. Sounds like someone shopped your machine and did not get
the posts in the right place or lost/swapped posts. I had a hell of a
time getting the right posts in the right places when I shopped my M*M
recently. The right posts may be in another area of the machine...

The major parts places should stock the posts and t-nuts.

I'll send a picture of my AFM with the ramp removed. Check your email.

John

....But now how do I get the broken off threaded piece of
> metal out of that little hole without damaging it so I can screw
> another one in?

Get a Screw Extractor from your local hardware store or sears

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00967361000

I have better luck with these if you can drill a small pilot hole
(1/16")into the end of the broken bolt - the extractor has reverse
threads that will grip in the pilot hole, and twist the both backwards
and out.