How do you change a bad CD-Rom Drive?

I have a computer and the CD-Rom doesn't work. What steps do I need to take
in order to change it?
Thanks,
Stacey
10 answers Last reply
More about change drive

    "Dave & Stacey" <DaveStacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I have a computer and the CD-Rom doesn't work. What steps do I need to
    take
    > in order to change it?
    > Thanks,
    > Stacey

    If you're SURE it's a hardware failure, and not an
    OS problem:

    Remove the device in Device Manager

    Power down

    Take the drive out of the computer case

    Make note of the jumper settings on the back of the drive,
    master/slave etc. You might need the manual for the old drive
    for this if the info is not printed on the sticker on the drive
    top case.

    Set your new drive for the exact same settings (see the
    manual for the new drive).

    Hook it up to the same connectors that ran the old drive
    (IDE, power). If the old drive had an analog audio connector and
    the connector is the same, use it. If not, you will need to
    find a suitable replacement OR enable digital audio for the
    drive after it's up and running.

    Power up.

    If all goes well, XP will find it and figure it out, and
    it'll "just work". You may need to go into Device Manager
    and set it for DMA mode rather than PIO.

    Most new drives come with install instructions. It is very easy to do
    providing you can easily remove the computer case. Some cases can be tricky
    to figure out. Most simply have a couple of screws to remove at the back and
    the side slides off. Ensure you have unplugged the computer before you
    tinker with it on the inside. See here for pictorial example
    http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_cd.htm

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Dave & Stacey" <DaveStacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a computer and the CD-Rom doesn't work. What steps do I need to take
    > in order to change it?
    > Thanks,
    > Stacey

    But it really has to *want* to change. <g,d&r...>
    --
    ~PA Bear
    www.12stepprogramforCDRomDrives.mvp

    Harry Ohrn wrote:
    > Most new drives come with install instructions. It is very easy to do
    > providing you can easily remove the computer case. Some cases can be
    > tricky to figure out. Most simply have a couple of screws to remove at
    > the back and the side slides off. Ensure you have unplugged the computer
    > before you tinker with it on the inside. See here for pictorial example
    > http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_cd.htm
    >

    > "Dave & Stacey" <DaveStacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > I have a computer and the CD-Rom doesn't work. What steps do I need to
    > > take in order to change it?
    > > Thanks,
    > > Stacey

    LOL.

    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    > But it really has to *want* to change. <g,d&r...>
    > --
    > ~PA Bear
    > www.12stepprogramforCDRomDrives.mvp
    > Harry Ohrn wrote:
    >> Most new drives come with install instructions. It is very easy to do
    >> providing you can easily remove the computer case. Some cases can be
    >> tricky to figure out. Most simply have a couple of screws to remove at
    >> the back and the side slides off. Ensure you have unplugged the computer
    >> before you tinker with it on the inside. See here for pictorial example
    >> http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_cd.htm
    >>

    >> "Dave & Stacey" <DaveStacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > I have a computer and the CD-Rom doesn't work. What steps do I need to
    >> > take in order to change it?
    >> > Thanks,
    >> > Stacey

    "Dave & Stacey" <DaveStacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a computer and the CD-Rom doesn't work. What steps do I need to take
    > in order to change it?
    > Thanks,
    > Stacey

    This is a hardware question...not a Windows question.

    "Johnny Lingo" <johnnylingo@spammenot.com> wrote in message

    > "Dave & Stacey" <DaveStacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I have a computer and the CD-Rom doesn't work. What steps do I need to
    >>take
    >> in order to change it?
    >> Thanks,
    >> Stacey
    >

    > This is a hardware question...not a Windows question.

    Purchase a new drive, open the computer (properly ground yourself), remove
    the old drive and replace the new drive the exact same way the old one came
    out.

    Other than what's been said, unplug the PC from the wall first.
    If you're not afraid of scary msdos lines, try a Win98 or ME boot diskette
    to verify access to the current CD Rom. Bootdisk.com carries these free of
    charge.

    Lil' Dave wrote:
    > Other than what's been said, unplug the PC from the wall first.

    Actually, that's not the best of advice, unless the OP has another
    means of grounding the computer chassis. Without an effective ground,
    it's very easy to cause damage to some internal components with an
    electro-static discharge, as grounding oneself to the chassis becomes
    quite pointless if the chassis isn't in turn connected to a ground.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:57:03 -0700, "Dave & Stacey"
    <DaveStacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >I have a computer and the CD-Rom doesn't work. What steps do I need to take
    >in order to change it?
    >Thanks,
    >Stacey

    I know it sounds like a scary thing to do, but it's really fairly
    easy. It does help if you've seen it done once. There are sites that
    give detailed instructions with photos. Do a Google. Or ask at the
    store where you buy the new drive if they'll do it.

    Consider getting a unit which will "burn" CD's not just read them.
    Handy for backups etc.

    Be sure to buy some canned air as well. If you've had the comp awhile
    it's probably full of dust.
    --
    Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

    Bruce Chambers wrote:
    > Lil' Dave wrote:
    > > Other than what's been said, unplug the PC from the wall first.
    >

    > Actually, that's not the best of advice, unless the OP has another
    > means of grounding the computer chassis. Without an effective ground,
    > it's very easy to cause damage to some internal components with an
    > electro-static discharge, as grounding oneself to the chassis becomes
    > quite pointless if the chassis isn't in turn connected to a ground.

    You definitely don't know what you're talking about.

    In the first place, if the power isn't disconnected, then power is
    available on the mainboard - unless it's an AT machine - and that's
    definitely a danger.

    Second, grounding ones self to the computer chassis is all that is
    needed - and even that need is more a theoretical need than a practical
    one.

Computers Microsoft CD-Rom Windows XP