How do you change a bad CD-Rom Drive?

I have a computer and the CD-Rom doesn't work. What steps do I need to take
in order to change it?
Thanks,
Stacey

"Dave & Stacey" <DaveStacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a computer and the CD-Rom doesn't work. What steps do I need to
take
> in order to change it?
> Thanks,
> Stacey

If you're SURE it's a hardware failure, and not an
OS problem:

Remove the device in Device Manager

Power down

Take the drive out of the computer case

Make note of the jumper settings on the back of the drive,
master/slave etc. You might need the manual for the old drive
for this if the info is not printed on the sticker on the drive
top case.

Set your new drive for the exact same settings (see the
manual for the new drive).

Hook it up to the same connectors that ran the old drive
(IDE, power). If the old drive had an analog audio connector and
the connector is the same, use it. If not, you will need to
find a suitable replacement OR enable digital audio for the
drive after it's up and running.

Power up.

If all goes well, XP will find it and figure it out, and
it'll "just work". You may need to go into Device Manager
and set it for DMA mode rather than PIO.

Most new drives come with install instructions. It is very easy to do
providing you can easily remove the computer case. Some cases can be tricky
to figure out. Most simply have a couple of screws to remove at the back and
the side slides off. Ensure you have unplugged the computer before you
tinker with it on the inside. See here for pictorial example
http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_cd.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Dave & Stacey" <DaveStacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a computer and the CD-Rom doesn't work. What steps do I need to take
> in order to change it?
> Thanks,
> Stacey

But it really has to *want* to change. <g,d&r...>
--
~PA Bear
www.12stepprogramforCDRomDrives.mvp

Harry Ohrn wrote:
> Most new drives come with install instructions. It is very easy to do
> providing you can easily remove the computer case. Some cases can be
> tricky to figure out. Most simply have a couple of screws to remove at
> the back and the side slides off. Ensure you have unplugged the computer
> before you tinker with it on the inside. See here for pictorial example
> http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_cd.htm
>

> "Dave & Stacey" <DaveStacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a computer and the CD-Rom doesn't work. What steps do I need to
> > take in order to change it?
> > Thanks,
> > Stacey

LOL.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

> But it really has to *want* to change. <g,d&r...>
> --
> ~PA Bear
> www.12stepprogramforCDRomDrives.mvp
> Harry Ohrn wrote:
>> Most new drives come with install instructions. It is very easy to do
>> providing you can easily remove the computer case. Some cases can be
>> tricky to figure out. Most simply have a couple of screws to remove at
>> the back and the side slides off. Ensure you have unplugged the computer
>> before you tinker with it on the inside. See here for pictorial example
>> http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_cd.htm
>>

>> "Dave & Stacey" <DaveStacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I have a computer and the CD-Rom doesn't work. What steps do I need to
>> > take in order to change it?
>> > Thanks,
>> > Stacey

"Dave & Stacey" <DaveStacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a computer and the CD-Rom doesn't work. What steps do I need to take
> in order to change it?
> Thanks,
> Stacey

This is a hardware question...not a Windows question.

"Johnny Lingo" <johnnylingo@spammenot.com> wrote in message

> "Dave & Stacey" <DaveStacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I have a computer and the CD-Rom doesn't work. What steps do I need to
>>take
>> in order to change it?
>> Thanks,
>> Stacey
>

> This is a hardware question...not a Windows question.

Purchase a new drive, open the computer (properly ground yourself), remove
the old drive and replace the new drive the exact same way the old one came
out.

Other than what's been said, unplug the PC from the wall first.
If you're not afraid of scary msdos lines, try a Win98 or ME boot diskette
to verify access to the current CD Rom. Bootdisk.com carries these free of
charge.

Lil' Dave wrote:
> Other than what's been said, unplug the PC from the wall first.

Actually, that's not the best of advice, unless the OP has another
means of grounding the computer chassis. Without an effective ground,
it's very easy to cause damage to some internal components with an
electro-static discharge, as grounding oneself to the chassis becomes
quite pointless if the chassis isn't in turn connected to a ground.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

On Tue, 30 Aug 2005 17:57:03 -0700, "Dave & Stacey"
<DaveStacey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a computer and the CD-Rom doesn't work. What steps do I need to take
>in order to change it?
>Thanks,
>Stacey

I know it sounds like a scary thing to do, but it's really fairly
easy. It does help if you've seen it done once. There are sites that
give detailed instructions with photos. Do a Google. Or ask at the
store where you buy the new drive if they'll do it.

Consider getting a unit which will "burn" CD's not just read them.
Handy for backups etc.

Be sure to buy some canned air as well. If you've had the comp awhile
it's probably full of dust.
--
Top 10 Conservative Idiots:

Bruce Chambers wrote:
> Lil' Dave wrote:
> > Other than what's been said, unplug the PC from the wall first.
>

> Actually, that's not the best of advice, unless the OP has another
> means of grounding the computer chassis. Without an effective ground,
> it's very easy to cause damage to some internal components with an
> electro-static discharge, as grounding oneself to the chassis becomes
> quite pointless if the chassis isn't in turn connected to a ground.

You definitely don't know what you're talking about.

In the first place, if the power isn't disconnected, then power is
available on the mainboard - unless it's an AT machine - and that's
definitely a danger.

Second, grounding ones self to the computer chassis is all that is
needed - and even that need is more a theoretical need than a practical
one.