Sign in with
Your question

"INK CARTIDGE INCOMPATIBLE" MESSAGE ON HP DESKJET D1663

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 26, 2010 8:56:00 AM

Hi everybody

I recently purchased an HP Deskjet D1663 (FPU No. CB770-64001) from Dubai,UAE. When I tried to install ink cartridges (original ones) from Europe the power button flashes (the printer does not work) and I get a message saying "printer cartridge incompatible". The "printer zone (PX)" (as reported on the "Print Quality diagnostics report") is 8 and the firmware is KNL1FN0910BR.
Any idea how can I make my printer work?

Thank you

Ilias Georgiadis
Athens
Greece
a b α HP
September 27, 2010 8:36:46 AM

Are you sure that you have the correct cartridges?
Anonymous
a b α HP
September 28, 2010 2:14:58 AM

If the difference is merely that the printer comes from one region and the cartridges from another it suggests to me that HP are playing a very sophisticated game of price protection via the chips in the cartridges.

Presumably local market conditions force them to charge less for cartridges in one region and they don't want cartridges from the the cheaper region undercutting their profits in other markets.

If this is so, you should speak to HP's local office and ask them what they plan to do to help you (perhaps by reflashing your firmware so that the printer appears to be a European model). With the strong message that, if they don't, you'll be asking awkward questions on forums like this about their distasteful marketing strategies.

HP are already notorious for the outrageous price of inkjet cartridges in Europe and this suggests that they are getting away with charging even more in Dubai.
November 15, 2010 4:52:54 PM

ifly said:
Hi everybody

I recently purchased an HP Deskjet D1663 (FPU No. CB770-64001) from Dubai,UAE. When I tried to install ink cartridges (original ones) from Europe the power button flashes (the printer does not work) and I get a message saying "printer cartridge incompatible". The "printer zone (PX)" (as reported on the "Print Quality diagnostics report") is 8 and the firmware is KNL1FN0910BR.
Any idea how can I make my printer work?

Thank you

Ilias Georgiadis
Athens
Greece

HP Deskjet D1663 driver uninstall and install. this drivers page.
and restart printer.
!