sunshine

I have and old G6 350 that I changed the boot sequence on trying to set
CD-rom as the 1st boot sequence. Well that didn't work. I changed the boot
sequence back to 1. floppy disk, 2. 1st IDE device, 3. Atapi CD-rom, and 4.
network. Now at startup its asking for a disk in drive A. How do i get
it to startup normal again.
Thanks

1. 1st IDE device

Ty

"Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have and old G6 350 that I changed the boot sequence on trying to set
>CD-rom as the 1st boot sequence. Well that didn't work. I changed the boot
>sequence back to 1. floppy disk, 2. 1st IDE device, 3. Atapi CD-rom, and
>4. network. Now at startup its asking for a disk in drive A. How do i
>get it to startup normal again.
> Thanks

sunshine

I spoke w/Gateway tech support concerning the boot sequence problem. They
walked me through setting the boot sequence to no avail. We tried setting
each of the drives to the first boot sequence; the floppy, the hard drive
and the CD-rom. We also restarted w/the W98 cd in the drive. Each time the
response was Drive not ready. Insert Boot disk in A:\. Gateway recommended
that I reformat. I don't understand how reformatting would solve the problem
if my problem is in the bios. I would like to do what I can to save the
files on this drive. Any suggestions? Thanks

"Tyrone Jackson" <tycobb@earth.net> wrote in message
> 1. 1st IDE device
>
> Ty
>

> "Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have and old G6 350 that I changed the boot sequence on trying to set
>>CD-rom as the 1st boot sequence. Well that didn't work. I changed the
>>boot sequence back to 1. floppy disk, 2. 1st IDE device, 3. Atapi CD-rom,
>>and 4. network. Now at startup its asking for a disk in drive A. How
>>do i get it to startup normal again.
>> Thanks

Gateway tech support gave you bad advice. No way no how will reformatting solve
the problem. Sheesh! Talk about incompetence.

There are a couple of possibilities here for what went wrong:

1. The C2032 3v lithium battery has lost or is losing its charge, and cannot
keep the motherboard settings charged up in CMOS. Replace the battery. They
cost no more than 2 or 3 bucks.

2. Some information is "stuck" in the non-volatile RAM, different from CMOS,
where other system settings are kept. The BIOS should have a reset NVRAM
option.

3. The most dire possibility is that the NVRAM is part of a now-failed flash
memory chip. The motherboard flash memory chip has an area reserved for the
BIOS program which runs when the system starts up. It has another area reserved
for the Windows (Linux too!) Plug-and-Play information. Every time Windows
boots up, it rewrites the PnP info, whether it has changed or not. This has the
effect of wearing out the flash memory chip, which can endure only a few hundred
thousand write operations.

A G6-350 system is old enough that its flash chip could have failed. Unlikely,
but possible.

Replace the battery, reset all settings to their BIOS defaults, and see what
happens... Ben Myers

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 05:00:30 GMT, "Sunshine"
<sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I spoke w/Gateway tech support concerning the boot sequence problem. They
>walked me through setting the boot sequence to no avail. We tried setting
>each of the drives to the first boot sequence; the floppy, the hard drive
>and the CD-rom. We also restarted w/the W98 cd in the drive. Each time the
>response was Drive not ready. Insert Boot disk in A:\. Gateway recommended
>that I reformat. I don't understand how reformatting would solve the problem
>if my problem is in the bios. I would like to do what I can to save the
>files on this drive. Any suggestions? Thanks
>
>"Tyrone Jackson" <tycobb@earth.net> wrote in message
>> 1. 1st IDE device
>>
>> Ty
>>

>> "Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I have and old G6 350 that I changed the boot sequence on trying to set
>>>CD-rom as the 1st boot sequence. Well that didn't work. I changed the
>>>boot sequence back to 1. floppy disk, 2. 1st IDE device, 3. Atapi CD-rom,
>>>and 4. network. Now at startup its asking for a disk in drive A. How
>>>do i get it to startup normal again.
>>> Thanks

sunshine

Thanks Ben...will replace battery.
> Gateway tech support gave you bad advice. No way no how will reformatting
> solve
> the problem. Sheesh! Talk about incompetence.
>
> There are a couple of possibilities here for what went wrong:
>
> 1. The C2032 3v lithium battery has lost or is losing its charge, and
> cannot
> keep the motherboard settings charged up in CMOS. Replace the battery.
> They
> cost no more than 2 or 3 bucks.
>
> 2. Some information is "stuck" in the non-volatile RAM, different from
> CMOS,
> where other system settings are kept. The BIOS should have a reset NVRAM
> option.
>
> 3. The most dire possibility is that the NVRAM is part of a now-failed
> flash
> memory chip. The motherboard flash memory chip has an area reserved for
> the
> BIOS program which runs when the system starts up. It has another area
> reserved
> for the Windows (Linux too!) Plug-and-Play information. Every time
> Windows
> boots up, it rewrites the PnP info, whether it has changed or not. This
> has the
> effect of wearing out the flash memory chip, which can endure only a few
> hundred
> thousand write operations.
>
> A G6-350 system is old enough that its flash chip could have failed.
> Unlikely,
> but possible.
>
> Replace the battery, reset all settings to their BIOS defaults, and see
> what
> happens... Ben Myers
>
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 05:00:30 GMT, "Sunshine"
> <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>I spoke w/Gateway tech support concerning the boot sequence problem. They
>>walked me through setting the boot sequence to no avail. We tried setting
>>each of the drives to the first boot sequence; the floppy, the hard drive
>>and the CD-rom. We also restarted w/the W98 cd in the drive. Each time
>>the
>>response was Drive not ready. Insert Boot disk in A:\. Gateway
>>recommended
>>that I reformat. I don't understand how reformatting would solve the
>>problem
>>if my problem is in the bios. I would like to do what I can to save the
>>files on this drive. Any suggestions? Thanks
>>
>>"Tyrone Jackson" <tycobb@earth.net> wrote in message
>>> 1. 1st IDE device
>>>
>>> Ty
>>>

>>> "Sunshine" <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote in message

sunshine

I went into Advance in the Bios Setup Utility, IDE Drive configuration and
set everything to auto and the system started up properly. I also changed
the battery. Thanks for your help
> Thanks Ben...will replace battery.
> <ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers)> wrote in message
>> Gateway tech support gave you bad advice. No way no how will
>> reformatting solve
>> the problem. Sheesh! Talk about incompetence.
>>
>> There are a couple of possibilities here for what went wrong:
>>
>> 1. The C2032 3v lithium battery has lost or is losing its charge, and
>> cannot
>> keep the motherboard settings charged up in CMOS. Replace the battery.
>> They
>> cost no more than 2 or 3 bucks.
>>
>> 2. Some information is "stuck" in the non-volatile RAM, different from
>> CMOS,
>> where other system settings are kept. The BIOS should have a reset NVRAM
>> option.
>>
>> 3. The most dire possibility is that the NVRAM is part of a now-failed
>> flash
>> memory chip. The motherboard flash memory chip has an area reserved for
>> the
>> BIOS program which runs when the system starts up. It has another area
>> reserved
>> for the Windows (Linux too!) Plug-and-Play information. Every time
>> Windows
>> boots up, it rewrites the PnP info, whether it has changed or not. This
>> has the
>> effect of wearing out the flash memory chip, which can endure only a few
>> hundred
>> thousand write operations.
>>
>> A G6-350 system is old enough that its flash chip could have failed.
>> Unlikely,
>> but possible.
>>
>> Replace the battery, reset all settings to their BIOS defaults, and see
>> what
>> happens... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 05:00:30 GMT, "Sunshine"
>> <sunshinenews2000-nwsgrps@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I spoke w/Gateway tech support concerning the boot sequence problem.
>>>They
>>>walked me through setting the boot sequence to no avail. We tried
>>>setting
>>>each of the drives to the first boot sequence; the floppy, the hard drive
>>>and the CD-rom. We also restarted w/the W98 cd in the drive. Each time
>>>the
>>>response was Drive not ready. Insert Boot disk in A:\. Gateway
>>>recommended
>>>that I reformat. I don't understand how reformatting would solve the
>>>problem
>>>if my problem is in the bios. I would like to do what I can to save the
>>>files on this drive. Any suggestions? Thanks
>>>
>>>"Tyrone Jackson" <tycobb@earth.net> wrote in message

TRENDING THREADS