• Flat Panel Monitors
  • Asus
  • LED Backlight
  • Samsung
  • Peripherals
  • Product
Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 26, 2010 2:14:26 PM

The Asus one is on sale at the moment w/ rebate on Newegg for about $230, but I was wondering if the extra money would be worth putting towards the XL2370? Namely is the LED backlight worth it?

Asus VW266H

[Samsung XL2370-1

Thanks everyone!

More about : asus vw266h samsung xl2370

Best solution

September 26, 2010 4:32:55 PM

If you want to save a few Watts of electricity and a thinner screen then go for the LED. Otherwise $$ is better.

The asus you choose is 1920x1200 rather than 1920x1080. I would go for the screen with more pixels. If that doesn't matter you can probably find a screen with 1920x1080 for even cheaper than the asus.

Some evil corporate bastards known as marketers have been giving consumers the impression that LED backlight is better in every single way and improves color and picture quality. Fact is cheap white LEDs in fact has about the same color spectrum as normal CCFLs. Thats normal CCFLs, if you compare white LED to enchanced W-CCFL used in professional displays there is no contest in terms of color.

There are RGB LEDs backlight used in that one LaCie 30" monitor that cost $2k. But that is marginally better than W-CCFL and cost even more. Using three different LED backlights remove the power consumptions benefits and makes the monitor just as thick as before.
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b Ô Samsung
September 27, 2010 3:09:04 AM

I personally prefer 1920 x 1200 resolution. The best benefit about LED monitors are that they are edge lit instead of having a full backlight array which save on electricity and allows a slimmer design. I would guess on a 26" - 27" monitor, LED will probably save 15w of power per hour of usage.

The bad thing about LED edge lit monitors are potential backlight bleeding along the edges of the screen because that were the lights are. Secondly even distribution of the backlight depends on the amorphis material used to reflect the "backlight" to the viewer(s).

m
l
Related resources
September 27, 2010 3:15:17 AM

Quote:
The bad thing about LED edge lit monitors are potential backlight bleeding along the edges of the screen because that were the lights are. Secondly even distribution of the backlight depends on the amorphis material used to reflect the "backlight" to the viewer(s).

exactly but LED's are stunning, sometimes appeal is more of a factory than resolution.
m
l
September 27, 2010 10:36:40 AM

Best answer selected by Valerik.
m
l
September 27, 2010 10:44:47 AM

I'm going with the Asus one, and just to let everyone know you can get an extra 35 off with the promo code

EMCYXNP53

that's a 105 total off with the rebate included.
m
l
!