Tags:
  • Laptops
  • BIOS
  • Internet Service Providers
  • Modem
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
March 26, 2010 11:03:29 PM

Hi,

I work for an ISP and had a customer recently report the following...he is using an MSI laptop with Windows 7. Not using a router, conencting directly from modem to laptop. I'm thinking it may be a setting issue on his laptop but could not find the answer...anyone? Here's what he wrote:

when I boot the laptop it goes into a bios looking mode and I have to unplug the modem and restart the computer before windows is able to load. the machine loads windows fine when the modem is unplugged. If I let the "bios" mode run for a few minutes it eventually starts windows, but it takes several minutes.

:hello: 

More about : boot laptop bios mode

March 27, 2010 12:42:48 AM

It sounds like the laptop is trying to boot from the modem - I have no idea why, I guess it's trying to boot from a network drive. Anyway try updating the BIOS and checking the boot order settings in it - make sure the c drive is boot option one, but if it's a bug a BIOS update may solve it entirely.
m
l
March 27, 2010 1:17:06 AM

toomanyairmiles said:
It sounds like the laptop is trying to boot from the modem - I have no idea why, I guess it's trying to boot from a network drive. Anyway try updating the BIOS and checking the boot order settings in it - make sure the c drive is boot option one, but if it's a bug a BIOS update may solve it entirely.

Hit the nail right on the head.
m
l
Related resources
!