cannot install software in limited user accounts

I've never set up more than one account before, but I need to set one up
for my niece and limited would seem to be the way to go.

Every I run a setup program, it asks me which user to use. I try the
limited one and it doesn't work, so I try punching in my sister's name
as admin, but get an error about "don't have permissions" I cannot
install anything.

I tried to look it up in MS KB, but the closest thing I could find
referred only to games and told me to temporarily setup as admin,
install and go back to limited.

Please tell me there is an easier way. Explaining the above to my
sister will take me a week :).
--
Cynthia
I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

The NT family of products (Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP) all require
that a user account have administrative priveleges to install software. This
may be fine in a corporate setting where IT wants to have control over hardware
and software configurations. But for home and small office environments, this
requirement can be a bit much and fairly difficult to understand.

The easiest solution is simply to verify your sister's account has
administrative priveleges. The other solution is to boot the system in safe
mode, log in with the generic and built-in account of administrator and install
software... Ben Myers

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 08:14:34 -0500, "Cynthia G" <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I've never set up more than one account before, but I need to set one up
>for my niece and limited would seem to be the way to go.
>
>Every I run a setup program, it asks me which user to use. I try the
>limited one and it doesn't work, so I try punching in my sister's name
>as admin, but get an error about "don't have permissions" I cannot
>install anything.
>
>I tried to look it up in MS KB, but the closest thing I could find
>referred only to games and told me to temporarily setup as admin,
>install and go back to limited.
>
>Please tell me there is an easier way. Explaining the above to my
>sister will take me a week :).
>--
>Cynthia
>I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

Thank you.

So, you're saying that even though the whole point of giving her husband a
limited account is moot since he needs to log in as her (admin) to install
software? If she changes his account to admin, he won't let her change it
back.

Sounds fairly backwards to me. I thought I could just enter the afmin name
and password and I could install in any user account.

> The NT family of products (Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP) all
> require
> that a user account have administrative priveleges to install software.
> This
> may be fine in a corporate setting where IT wants to have control over
> hardware
> and software configurations. But for home and small office environments,
> this
> requirement can be a bit much and fairly difficult to understand.
>
> The easiest solution is simply to verify your sister's account has
> administrative priveleges. The other solution is to boot the system in
> safe
> mode, log in with the generic and built-in account of administrator and
> install
> software... Ben Myers
>
> On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 08:14:34 -0500, "Cynthia G"
> <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I've never set up more than one account before, but I need to set one up
>>for my niece and limited would seem to be the way to go.
>>
>>Every I run a setup program, it asks me which user to use. I try the
>>limited one and it doesn't work, so I try punching in my sister's name
>>as admin, but get an error about "don't have permissions" I cannot
>>install anything.
>>
>>I tried to look it up in MS KB, but the closest thing I could find
>>referred only to games and told me to temporarily setup as admin,
>>install and go back to limited.
>>
>>Please tell me there is an easier way. Explaining the above to my
>>sister will take me a week :).
>>--
>>Cynthia
>>I don't read Hotmail - To mail me: cynthiag at canadiensfan dot com

Guy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2003

Also - there is a difference between XP home and Professional. With the
latter you can set-up a power user who can install software. With the
former you have the admin or limited user account.

Guy

"Cynthia G" <cynthiag31DONTREAD@hotmail.com> wrote in news:Ny5hd.3326
$D6.38275@news20.bellglobal.com:

> I've never set up more than one account before, but I need to set one up
> for my niece and limited would seem to be the way to go.
>
> Every I run a setup program, it asks me which user to use. I try the
> limited one and it doesn't work, so I try punching in my sister's name
> as admin, but get an error about "don't have permissions" I cannot
> install anything.
>
> I tried to look it up in MS KB, but the closest thing I could find
> referred only to games and told me to temporarily setup as admin,
> install and go back to limited.
>
> Please tell me there is an easier way. Explaining the above to my
> sister will take me a week :).

Normally, you can right click on the installation file, and select Run as.
You can then select the admin user name, and enter that account's password.

--
Tom McCune

your understanding is correct, but what may not be clear to you is that
there is no limit to the number of accounts that can have administrator
privileges. in other words you can set it so mom is not the only
administrator, but dad and daughter are too. arguably you don't want anyone
to be administrator; this would prevent deliberate installation of software
or malicious installation of software (trojans/spyware etc) as unexpected
changes to any system are the source of most problems... having one
administor means one person aware of all changes made to the system. a
major drawback of having all users set to limited user rights in an stand
alone computer environment (as opposed to a network setup with a
server/domain controller) is that antivirus programs won't update unless the
user logged on is an administrator.