PhatDude_22

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2003
I just recently purchased an albatron k600pro mobo, and an AMD 2400+, I have a stock heat sink for my cpu, My problem is this:
After playing games for about 20 mins, I decided to check my cpu temp and it is reading 54c, that seems really high to me. Does it seem high to anybody else? This is my first experience with AMD, and so far other than the temp I am completely satisfied for the price. Do AMD's run hotter than INTEL's? I have not touched my CPU as far as overclocking it, and everything else in my system is running at stock speeds, thats why I am kinda freakin' out, unless that is normal operating temp for a 2400+ xp.

G

if 54°C is reported by the ondie sensor, then don't worry. People have gotten used to 30-40°C reading using inaccurate sensors under the CPU socket, by your temps are okay (if not extremely low either) if they are measured ondie.

Don't put too much faith in those numbers, as other motherboards or even BIOS revisions can easily give you >15°C variations while the actual heat will be the same. Try running prime for an hour or so, or BurkK7, if it doesnt crash or lock up, then just relax and ignore the temp.

As for intel vs AMD.. they both run pretty hot, but they are very similar in power dissapation for a given performance level. Only the A64 seems to run much cooler.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =