Is the graphics card dead?

I have a friend who has a Samsung NP R700 laptop, that upon start up, all that shows are thin, gray vertical lines. After a minute or so the lines start to show some color. I can hear the windows start up sound, but that's all. Just the vertical colored lines remain. My guess is that the laptop has overheated and since I can hear windows starting up, that the only problem is in the graphics card. Would I be correct in my assumption?

Thanks.

Samsung R700
250GB HD
Intel Core 2 Duo T5450 1.66 GHz
2GB Ram 17in. display
Nvidia Geforce 8400M GS 128MB
6 answers Last reply
More about graphics card dead
  1. No. It sounds like your LCD is damaged. What happens when you plug in an external monitor?
  2. Yea, I haven't tried that yet. That will be the very next thing I try. Thank you
  3. Ok, here goes. Prior to hooking up an external monitor, I turned the laptop on again, this time the vertical bars showed up again, but by the time windows booted up, they went away. The desktop was back. I thought i would put in a dvd just to see what would happen, and just as I thought...as soon as I got through the menu and to the main movie, the screen blacks out. I can still see the desktop in the background, but inside my movie player window...nothing, just audio.
    Now, I am back to square one...I think the graphic card is shot.
  4. The movie being black likely doesn't have anything to do with your GPU if the rest of your desktop was fine. Try using a different player/movie.

The bars are gone though?
  5. Nope sounds like the graphics card. Did the image lockup when you started the movie player? Or glitch out?

INFO: Nvidia 8400m/8600m were defective and all tend to burn out over a year to two period. Unfortunately the only way to fix it is to replace your motherboard, or easier, the whole laptop.
  6. ibanezbass said:
    Nope sounds like the graphics card. Did the image lockup when you started the movie player? Or glitch out?

INFO: Nvidia 8400m/8600m were defective and all tend to burn out over a year to two period. Unfortunately the only way to fix it is to replace your motherboard, or easier, the whole laptop.

I don't believe there are nearly enough test results to say that.

Also, you can generally repair the defective G84/86 chips with a solder reflow or the much-less-expensive oven bake.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Graphics Cards Samsung