XP Activation, Change Code

I have been using coporate XP Pro with SP2 and all the updates and am now
doing the right thing :). I have a purchased legal retail copy of XP Pro. How
do I change the activation code WITHOUT a reinstall? Would like a response
from a MVP..
12 answers Last reply
More about activation change code

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874/

    The above KB article is for SP1 systems, but may be applicable to your situation.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "JustUs" <JustUs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1DFC3DF6-C377-42E2-9D13-AA0D38FC34B3@microsoft.com...
    >I have been using coporate XP Pro with SP2 and all the updates and am now
    > doing the right thing :). I have a purchased legal retail copy of XP Pro. How
    > do I change the activation code WITHOUT a reinstall? Would like a response
    > from a MVP..

    JustUs wrote

    Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874/
    >
    > The above KB article is for SP1 systems, but may be applicable to
    > your situation.

    Doug,

    Doesn't that only work when replacing your illegal volume license key with a
    legal volume license key?
    Wouldn't replacing an illegal volume license key with a legal license key
    (not volume) require at least a repair installation?

    --
    Shenan Stanley
    MS-MVP

    I would think so, but I've never had to "undo" the damage. But you're right, it should apply only to VLK machines, but in this case, it can't hurt to try.

    "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23PugE3drFHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

    > JustUs wrote
    >> I have been using coporate XP Pro with SP2 and all the updates and
    >> am now doing the right thing :). I have a purchased legal retail
    >> copy of XP Pro. How do I change the activation code WITHOUT a
    >> reinstall? Would like a response from a MVP..
    >
    > Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874/
    >>
    >> The above KB article is for SP1 systems, but may be applicable to
    >> your situation.
    >
    > Doug,
    >
    > Doesn't that only work when replacing your illegal volume license key with a
    > legal volume license key?
    > Wouldn't replacing an illegal volume license key with a legal license key
    > (not volume) require at least a repair installation?
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    It should work. Same case scenario for one of my clients. In his case it was a W2K3 Enterprise. A call to activate went without a hitch when his new key on the legally purchased W2K3 was given . Activation center took the key and activated the OS

    --
    Peter

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" <dknox@mvps.org> wrote in message news:eeyCZ6drFHA.304@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    I would think so, but I've never had to "undo" the damage. But you're right, it should apply only to VLK machines, but in this case, it can't hurt to try.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Shenan Stanley" <newshelper@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23PugE3drFHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

    > JustUs wrote
    >> I have been using coporate XP Pro with SP2 and all the updates and
    >> am now doing the right thing :). I have a purchased legal retail
    >> copy of XP Pro. How do I change the activation code WITHOUT a
    >> reinstall? Would like a response from a MVP..
    >
    > Doug Knox MS-MVP wrote:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874/
    >>
    >> The above KB article is for SP1 systems, but may be applicable to
    >> your situation.
    >
    > Doug,
    >
    > Doesn't that only work when replacing your illegal volume license key with a
    > legal volume license key?
    > Wouldn't replacing an illegal volume license key with a legal license key
    > (not volume) require at least a repair installation?
    >
    > --
    > Shenan Stanley
    > MS-MVP
    > --
    > How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

    Doug, I was mistaken. I have a Volume License version. Well, I'm going to
    give it a try.

    "Doug Knox MS-MVP" wrote:

    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874/
    >
    > The above KB article is for SP1 systems, but may be applicable to your situation.

    > Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    > http://www.dougknox.com
    > --------------------------------
    > --------------------------------
    > Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.
    >
    > "JustUs" <JustUs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1DFC3DF6-C377-42E2-9D13-AA0D38FC34B3@microsoft.com...
    > >I have been using coporate XP Pro with SP2 and all the updates and am now
    > > doing the right thing :). I have a purchased legal retail copy of XP Pro. How
    > > do I change the activation code WITHOUT a reinstall? Would like a response
    > > from a MVP..

    First, the retail CD key will not be accepted by the VLA (not corporate
    edition. Corp. Edition is used in labelling pirated versions.) There is a
    special file/setting which test the CD key with the installed version. If
    the setting is looking for VLA key then the retail key will not be accepted.

    You can normally do a repair reinstall on top of the installed version. Or
    wait until you need to reformat.

    "JustUs" <JustUs@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have been using coporate XP Pro with SP2 and all the updates and am now
    > doing the right thing :). I have a purchased legal retail copy of XP Pro.
    > How
    > do I change the activation code WITHOUT a reinstall? Would like a response
    > from a MVP..

    Make sure you back up anything you can't afford to lose, first. Just in case.

    JustUs wrote:
    > I have been using coporate XP Pro with SP2 and all the updates and am now
    > doing the right thing :). I have a purchased legal retail copy of XP Pro. How
    > do I change the activation code WITHOUT a reinstall? Would like a response
    > from a MVP..

    You need to purchase and use a _legitimate_ full (or an Upgrade CD
    might work, if you have an earlier, qualifying OS) retail copy of WinXP
    Pro to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, using
    the new CD and Product Key.

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    In article <uSTAd0orFHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>, Bruce Chambers
    favored us with...
    > You need to purchase and use a _legitimate_ full (or an Upgrade CD
    > might work, if you have an earlier, qualifying OS) retail copy of WinXP
    > Pro to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, using
    > the new CD and Product Key.

    Hmm -- I have a legal copy of Win 98 on CD from my old computer
    (which I no longer use). I have a laptop with Win XP Pro
    preinstalled, and the dreaded "recovery disks" but no Win XP install
    disk.

    I wonder: could I use a Win XP upgrade disk to do a repair install
    (if and when I need to do one) by giving it the Win 98 CD at the
    point where it asks for the qualifying disk?

    I've been nervous about not having a Windows disk, and the
    manufacturer won't give or sell me one. (As discussed here, the
    contractual obligation is fulfilled by giving me those useless
    "recovery disks". Damn you, Microsoft, for encouraging that!) So I'm
    wondering if this is a way to have a legal repair disk available
    without paying full retail.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/

    Stan Brown wrote:

    > I wonder: could I use a Win XP upgrade disk to do a repair install
    > (if and when I need to do one) by giving it the Win 98 CD at the
    > point where it asks for the qualifying disk?

    Quite a few people have said that this option will work, but I've never
    had occasion to try it, myself. I _think_ it'll work, but can't promise.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    On Thu, 01 Sep 2005 19:36:44 -0600 in
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.general, Bruce Chambers favored us with...
    > Stan Brown wrote:
    > > I wonder: could I use a Win XP upgrade disk to do a repair install
    > > (if and when I need to do one) by giving it the Win 98 CD at the
    > > point where it asks for the qualifying disk?
    >
    > Quite a few people have said that this option will work, but I've never
    > had occasion to try it, myself. I _think_ it'll work, but can't promise.

    Fair enough -- I guess you really can't promise something like this
    unless you've tried it yourself.

    HAS anyone here tried this?

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "And if you're afraid of butter, which many people are nowa-
    days, (long pause) you just put in cream." --Julia Child

    In news:1DFC3DF6-C377-42E2-9D13-AA0D38FC34B3@microsoft.com,
    JustUs <JustUs@discussions.microsoft.com> replied with a ;-)
    > I have been using coporate XP Pro with SP2 and all the updates and am
    > now doing the right thing :). I have a purchased legal retail copy of
    > XP Pro. How do I change the activation code WITHOUT a reinstall?
    > Would like a response from a MVP..

    Click on the link below, or copy and paste the link into the address box
    if using the web based newsgroup.
    I need to change my XP Product KEY #18 on the FAQ list
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/xpfaq.html

    --
    Michael Stevens MS-MVP XP
    xpnews@bogusmichaelstevenstech.com