Small Receiver or Subwoofer+integrated amp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daneren2005

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I keep hearing everyone say that even a cheap set of home theater speakers would blow away the best computer speakers. Every time I look at, say, the Z5500 or Z906 discussions there is always someone who goes on about how you can pick up some $200 off the shelf speakers that are much better. The one problem with their arguments always comes back to the receivers.

First of all even the lowest end receivers that do what the built in ones of these high end speakers do costs almost as much a complete computer speaker system does. Second of all the receivers are huge. I have room behind my monitor for quite a bit. In fact I actually have my subwoofer behind my monitor. But every receiver I have ever seen is gigantic. It would take up too much desk space and be clumsy to change the volume on while using the computer. Plus they would look like crap next to a computer.

This brings me to my question. Does anyone make either small receivers/amps that would be small like the Z5500's controller pod is? Or does anyone sell stand alone subwoofers with integrated amps for a 5.1 setup? It doesn't matter how much "better" the sound quality of a receiver + home theater setup is, without a more manageable way to hook up the speakers then a min $200 gigantic receiver its just not worth it.

PS In case anyone is wondering I was going to be hooking up 5.1 setup with a 5 Polk RM8s (4 satellites, 1 center) + whatever subwoofer I can find for $100-200 and was going to be hooking it up via a digital connection on my audio card

Solution
Most receivers are the standard 17'' wide and 5-10'' high. It highly depends on the type of computer speakers and type of home theater speakers. Speakers are speakers...they all work the same way. Just computer speakers use different interfaces.

If you find a spot for a receiver, I recommend it highly. It usually gives you tons of inputs, settings, connections and other benefits.

I do not know of any tiny receivers. Receivers have amplifiers in them...that means they have a beefy PSU, heatsinks, transistors and other stuff so they are going to be big.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Most receivers are the standard 17'' wide and 5-10'' high. It highly depends on the type of computer speakers and type of home theater speakers. Speakers are speakers...they all work the same way. Just computer speakers use different interfaces.

If you find a spot for a receiver, I recommend it highly. It usually gives you tons of inputs, settings, connections and other benefits.

I do not know of any tiny receivers. Receivers have amplifiers in them...that means they have a beefy PSU, heatsinks, transistors and other stuff so they are going to be big.

Solution

daneren2005

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
"Just computer speakers use different interfaces"

Yes and its this different interface I would like but with my own speaker setup. It would be wonderful if there was a subwoofer that has a prebuilt amp + input/output connections on it that you could buy on its own instead of always needing to buy a complete speaker system. Are you aware of anything like that existing?

daneren2005

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Alright so if active subwoofers are what I'm looking for then the answer seems to be no. After googling around a bit most of the active subwoofers just have amp + power for the subwoofer itself. The few that I found that had outputs to sattelites only had ouptuts for 2 and I wanted a full 5.1 system.

daneren2005

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Yes but those low end systems have extremely low wattage so if you hooked up nicer speakers to them wouldn't they still be really weak because of an inferior amp? As I understand it watt != quality but it does equal power, so with such a low power output the speakers would be fairly quiet. I'm definitely not an expert on speakers though so I could be wrong about that.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
The low end systems have low wattage, but if you buy efficient speakers, it will be quite loud. Buy speakers with an efficiency of like 100db+ and I am sure it will sound LOUD. However it depends on the efficiency of the speakers you currently have. You can also get lower impedance speakers. Be careful though not to fry the amp.

daneren2005

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Alright I ended up getting a 5.1 set of speakers that have the following amp specs:
67 w/channel (4 Ohms at 3.85kHz)

The speakers I want to buy are:
20-125 w/channel at 8 Ohms (89 db efficiency).

From the speaker description I'm not sure how I can tell if this would fry my amp or not...Is there supposed to be a way to control how much energy the speakers actually draw?

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
No, if your speakers have more resistance, its perfectly safe.

There is no way to control how much the speakers draw, but you can adjust resistance using...well...resistors.

If the resistance is high then its much safer than if the resistances lower than what the amplifier is designed for.

MEgamer

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
67 w/channel (4 Ohms at 3.85kHz)

thats around 38.5 watts at 8ohms, if other variables were kept constant/

u would get ur speakers to about 103dB, thats at around max volume though. im not sure if thats very loud... considering musical peaks are usually 100db or more.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
You should look for a speaker with the least minimum input power; anything below 25 watts is better.

Below is an example:

Specifications
Specs M80
Enclosure: Triple Vortex / Reflex
Max Amp Power: 400 Watts
Min Amp Power: 10 Watts <------------------- minimum power required
Freq Resp +/-3dB (Hz): 34 Hz – 20 kHz Frequency Graph
Freq Resp +3dB- 9dB (Hz): 25 Hz – 20 kHz
Impedance (Ohms): 4 Ohms Impedance Graph
SPL in Room1w/1m(db): 95 dB
SPL Anechoic 1w/1m(db): 91 dB
X-Over 160 Hz & 2.3 kHz