Automatically launching Application after logon

Hi,

The machine in question is in an unsupervised, Kiosk type environement. The
computer is a stand-alone XP pro. It reboots itself once a day. The OS
automatically logs on a user with limited permissions after each reboot. I
have put a shortcut of the application in the Startup folder of the user. So
far, so good...

The problem:
The app that's being auto-launched runs on a local instance of SQL engine
(MSDE). It sometimes happens that the SQL services have not had enough time
to initialize before the App is launched. So it fails.

How can I configure the app to launch after the SQL has initialized?

All I need is about 30 secs. Can I insert a wait period? Can I slave it to
SQL?

Thanks for your input,

If you're accessing the database via an ODBC connection, you could recode the app to wait for the SQL Server to be up and running before continuing, if its your application. Otherwise, use a VB Script file to launch the program

set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WScript.Sleep 30000
WshShell.Run "<path to your application>"

The above example would wait 30,000 milliseconds (30 seconds) then launch your app.
Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Tom Bombadill" <Genius_poster@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:u$SBnFerFHA.3604@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
>
> The machine in question is in an unsupervised, Kiosk type environement. The
> computer is a stand-alone XP pro. It reboots itself once a day. The OS
> automatically logs on a user with limited permissions after each reboot. I
> have put a shortcut of the application in the Startup folder of the user. So
> far, so good...
>
> The problem:
> The app that's being auto-launched runs on a local instance of SQL engine
> (MSDE). It sometimes happens that the SQL services have not had enough time
> to initialize before the App is launched. So it fails.
>
> How can I configure the app to launch after the SQL has initialized?
>
> All I need is about 30 secs. Can I insert a wait period? Can I slave it to
> SQL?
>
> Thanks for your input,

Hi Doug,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate the hint.

Now that you've bothered, let me share another problem of mine.

As I mentioned, the machine is in an unsupervised environment. So I really
need to lock it down for the everyday users who would be accessing the
application. However, occaisonally, admins or other staff would need to
connect to the PC and they should be provided with the unrestricted
interface.

Group Policies seem to be the perfect tool for this purpose. However, when
the local GP is edited in a stand-alone machine, all users seem to be
affected by it. I tried to manage the policy by granting/denying permissions
to the Windows\system32\Grouppolicy folder. But it looked like a one way
trip and I wasn't able to successfully edit the GP once it was applied.

Please advise,

Thanks again

You might be interested in a small utility that I created. It applies a good number of the pre-SP2 per-user restrictions, on a per-user basis. See www.dougknox.com, Win XP Utilities, Windows XP Security Console.