GeForce 6800gt v77.77 driver, dell p1130 crt

Monitor becomes blurry (but readable) after a while. It clears when I turn
off then back on but returns after a while. I have gone through
troubleshooting steps with the monitor manual and adjusted the connections
and whatnot but I'm still having problems. I'm not sure if it's a monitor,
video card/driver, or cable/adapter issue. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Rob

I've also changed the refesh rate (optimal 1280x1240 at 85mhz) dpi settings,
etc.

"bothan25" wrote:

> GeForce 6800gt v77.77 driver, dell p1130 crt
>
> Monitor becomes blurry (but readable) after a while. It clears when I turn
> off then back on but returns after a while. I have gone through
> troubleshooting steps with the monitor manual and adjusted the connections
> and whatnot but I'm still having problems. I'm not sure if it's a monitor,
> video card/driver, or cable/adapter issue. Any suggestions? Thanks,
>
> Rob

Chas

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2004

"bothan25" <bothan25@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> GeForce 6800gt v77.77 driver, dell p1130 crt
>
> Monitor becomes blurry (but readable) after a while. It clears when I turn
> off then back on but returns after a while. I have gone through
> troubleshooting steps with the monitor manual and adjusted the connections
> and whatnot but I'm still having problems. I'm not sure if it's a monitor,
> video card/driver, or cable/adapter issue. Any suggestions? Thanks,
>
> Rob

Hi
Just have a look here

http://www.epinions.com/content_128123244164

Chas

Of course. Luckily, my work was selling them for the low low price of $25 so
I didn't invest too much :)

"Chas" wrote:

> "bothan25" <bothan25@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > GeForce 6800gt v77.77 driver, dell p1130 crt
> >
> > Monitor becomes blurry (but readable) after a while. It clears when I turn
> > off then back on but returns after a while. I have gone through
> > troubleshooting steps with the monitor manual and adjusted the connections
> > and whatnot but I'm still having problems. I'm not sure if it's a monitor,
> > video card/driver, or cable/adapter issue. Any suggestions? Thanks,
> >
> > Rob
>
> Hi
> Just have a look here
>
> http://www.epinions.com/content_128123244164
>
> Chas

frodo

bothan25 <bothan25@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> GeForce 6800gt v77.77 driver, dell p1130 crt
> Monitor becomes blurry (but readable) after a while. It clears when I turn
> off then back on but returns after a while. I have gone through
> troubleshooting steps with the monitor manual and adjusted the connections
> and whatnot but I'm still having problems. I'm not sure if it's a monitor,
> video card/driver, or cable/adapter issue. Any suggestions? Thanks,
> Rob

This is usually due to a leaky capacitor in the high voltage drive section
of the monitor. It's a Sony, and very common w/ the p991 and p1130.
Difficult to fix properly, because the failure tends to propogate thru to
other areas, and most techs just fix the imeadiate issue and fail to take
the time to go thru and readjust everything else that it affected, and the
problem returns 3 months later.

Time to move up to an LCD...

Besides the fact I know I should get an lcd instead, is there anyway you
could be more specific on how to repair it? I'd like to get it fixed. I don't
know why I tried but Dell had no idea what I was talking about :/ Thanks for
your help,
Rob

"frodo@theshire.org" wrote:

> bothan25 <bothan25@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > GeForce 6800gt v77.77 driver, dell p1130 crt
> > Monitor becomes blurry (but readable) after a while. It clears when I turn
> > off then back on but returns after a while. I have gone through
> > troubleshooting steps with the monitor manual and adjusted the connections
> > and whatnot but I'm still having problems. I'm not sure if it's a monitor,
> > video card/driver, or cable/adapter issue. Any suggestions? Thanks,
> > Rob
>
> This is usually due to a leaky capacitor in the high voltage drive section
> of the monitor. It's a Sony, and very common w/ the p991 and p1130.
> Difficult to fix properly, because the failure tends to propogate thru to
> other areas, and most techs just fix the imeadiate issue and fail to take
> the time to go thru and readjust everything else that it affected, and the
> problem returns 3 months later.
>
> Time to move up to an LCD...

frodo

bothan25 <bothan25@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Besides the fact I know I should get an lcd instead, is there anyway you
> could be more specific on how to repair it? I'd like to get it fixed. I don't
> know why I tried but Dell had no idea what I was talking about :/ Thanks for
> your help,
> Rob

Well, my p991 was replaced by Dell under warrentee EIGHT times - yup, 8
times. At the time I was not alone, I found many other people who were
having the same issue. Each time I got a refurbished unit that worked ok
for anywhere from 2 days to almost a month, then the problem returned,
often with a frightening SNAP-CRACKEL-POP (once it popped very loudly and
was actually better! ...for 2 days). Finally it went out of warrentee one
week after replacement number 8. That one died about a month later, and
Dell would do nothing about it, I was stuck.

I researched the issue via google, found a few places that had detailed
Sony specs and repair procedures, which I printed and gave to my friend,
who had a tv repair bussiness (it was all greek to me). He took the
monitor and ordered the parts, then did the repair, including all the
"check this then check that" extras outlined in the info - several things
had in fact been thrown out of wack by the part failure, and he adjusted
all of them. The monitor worked great for 6 months, then I got a new
system w/ an LCD, and I gave the monitor to that same friend (since he
never charged my in the first place, I figured it was rightfully his
anyway after all the time he put into it). He still uses it to this day,
and it looks good (for a CRT; when this sony works it's one of the
sharpest CRTs out there - still, an LCD has WAY sharper text, and my old
eyes will never go back).

So, long story short, find a good repair shop, and expect to pay almost
$200 bucks for a proper repair. Google for your model number, in both
google "web" and google "groups", you'll find others in your boat and
hopefully those same instructions that I found (no, I don't have the link
saved, sorry).

Best Bet: invest the $200 in a new LCD, prices have come down, and are
continuing to fall - this xmas will be a big year for LCDs I'll bet
(prices were fairly high and steady last year, but production capacity is
now finally up there, and prices are falling. Samsung and Viewsonic are
the biggies, LG is steaming along now too).

Good Luck.