Sign in with
Your question

Samsung SM 2943 HM power problem

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
September 28, 2010 8:28:16 PM

Soooooo, I have this monitor.....

This is the second time this problem has happened so I guess its something real and not just a loose power cable.

The first time the monitor seems dead. No led light, nothing. I was ready to give up then a slight crackle and its worked ever since.

This time I booted up my xbox then pressed the power button. The monitor was on standby, when I "pressed" the power button it turned off and I cant get it to turn back on.

I have tried multiple cables, constantly turning on and off, with the hard button and touch button, but am not getting any life.

Firstly, does this sound like an easy/cheap to fix problem?

Also, I purchased the monitor online, (at some place and time that is forgotten, at least at the moment). What would be the best way to go about getting this fixed? Should I contact Samsung directly, (I don't think I still have the box, so returning through the mail is gonna be a hassle). There is a local tv dealer that seems to do Samsung repairs, would it be as easy/cheap getting them to have a look at it?

Thanks
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
September 28, 2010 9:45:25 PM

Have a look at the longish piece here about repairs:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/58336-3-official-flat...

Especially if the screen is still under warranty probably better to get in touch with Samsung who may have a repair contractor near enough that you can drive there.
September 28, 2010 11:23:26 PM

K. Thanks.

I've gotten terrible at keeping track of receipts or even where I bought most of my tech from.....terrible thing this gadget addiction. I'll try and find the info and contact Samsung directly.

By the way, after about an hour I tried turning the monitor on again and it worked! There is something strange going on inside that LCD that's for sure.
Related resources
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
September 29, 2010 6:32:51 AM

It may well be capacitors. Did you read the repair piece ? It's a simple soldering job to replace them -- which implies that it could be done by a TV repair guy and not cost much.
October 1, 2010 2:08:32 AM

Well I've managed to register with Samsung and give them details of the problem. They replied by requesting my exact model code, (very quickly), so I'm quietly hoping that the rest of the process will go as well.

As it happens I managed to find the online supplier/date and I am well within the 3 year warranty period, so there should be no problems regarding that. I have checked and it looks like the local repair centre isn't too far away, (although in a town I have no other reason to visit!), but even if I have to take it there myself it'll only be a minor hassle.

The tv repair guy is currently the backup. I'm okay at building pc's - unscrewing/replacing/cleaning electronics, but I have never attempted soldering, and I don't think now is gonna be the time to learn a new skill. :) 

Also, armed with the knowledge that it is more than likely the capacitors, I can make sure I don't get ripped off.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for the info, fihart ;) 

UPDATE:

"Thank you for contacting Samsung. Regarding the problem that you had, we have raised a service request under your name to send you an agent to swap the monitor."

No actual date, but I'm a little shocked at how smoothly this seems to have happened. As the monitor isn't mission critical and is also working again, at the moment anyway, I couldn't be happier with Samsungs support.
!