I wonder if anyone has come across this, my son added a custom boot screen
which when booting showed up as a choice when asking which os to boot to it
showed as windows xp (bootscreen), this has been on for some time, he has
edited it out of his boot.ini last night, upon reboot he has no internet
connection, I tried ipconfig /renew no connection to renew, I tried arp -d it
tells me I do not have sufficient rights ? I was logged on as administrator,
I have never come across this before, I know a repair would solve it but I am
curious as to why removing the boot screen should have an adverse effect, it
connect via a network point into a wireless router although this pc is hard
wired to to the router( i.e not using the wireless connection) any ideas
anyone ?

--
there are no problems just challenges

steve.a wrote:
> I wonder if anyone has come across this, my son added a custom boot screen
> which when booting showed up as a choice when asking which os to boot to it
> showed as windows xp (bootscreen), this has been on for some time, he has
> edited it out of his boot.ini last night, upon reboot he has no internet
> connection, I tried ipconfig /renew no connection to renew, I tried arp -d it
> tells me I do not have sufficient rights ? I was logged on as administrator,
> I have never come across this before, I know a repair would solve it but I am
> curious as to why removing the boot screen should have an adverse effect, it
> connect via a network point into a wireless router although this pc is hard
> wired to to the router( i.e not using the wireless connection) any ideas
> anyone ?

Can you post the contents of the boot.ini file?
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Most custom boot screens are obtained by modifying ntoskrnl.exe.

This can sometimes cause problems.

ntoskrnl.exe is NT Kernel & System. Very important for Windows.

Ask your son if he saved a backup copy of ntoskrnl.exe before he screwed it
up, I mean modified it.

If not, you may have to expand NTOSKRNL.EX_ from your XP CD to
%windir%\System32

ntoskrnl.exe exists on the XP CD as a compressed file...
CD drive letter:\I386\NTOSKRNL.EX_

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes