Another PAPA sneak preview

It's from a week or two back, but it still shows progress.

http://www.papa.org/progress2005/07-13-05-small/

Just 18 days until PAPA 8... http://www.papa.org/papa8/

Kevin

Will you be removing those damn video games before PAPA 8 ? Seems
sacrilegious to have them in the same room as those great pins. You've
accomplished a lot to make PAPA happen again. Best wishes for a great
tournament ! LTG :)

"Kevin Martin" <sigma@pair.com> wrote in message
> It's from a week or two back, but it still shows progress.
>
> http://www.papa.org/progress2005/07-13-05-small/
>
> Just 18 days until PAPA 8... http://www.papa.org/papa8/
>
> Kevin

I was at the PAPA facility today dropping off an AFM and was shocked to
see the vids as well. There's a Tutankham, Dig Dug, DK Jr, Sinistar,
Tempest, and a Tatoo Assassins (which is very rare - only a couple
games exist appearently). There were also a couple of the DDR type
games as well.

I gotta tell ya, that place is a sight. I saw pins I never even knew
existed - and multiples of many of the popular games. I was also
reunited with my minty TOTAN and boy did she look GOOOOOD. :)

The dig dug, tutankam and dkjr came from me :) You got to have a few
vids. They also have the old time arcade element to the floor. The
place looks great. If I win the lottery, i'm opening up a place like
that for my area :) That is the sweetest collection i've ever seen.
can't wait till Aug.

Kevin Martin <sigma@pair.com> wrote in news:dc0vc001ala@news3.newsguy.com:

> It's from a week or two back, but it still shows progress.
>
> http://www.papa.org/progress2005/07-13-05-small/
>
> Just 18 days until PAPA 8... http://www.papa.org/papa8/

I like your solution to "electricity needed in the middle of the room, and
I'm NOT breaking up the concrete"!

I may have to steal that idea for use in the future. ;)

"Lloyd Olson" <ltg@ssbilliards.com> wrote in

> Will you be removing those damn video games before PAPA 8 ? Seems
> sacrilegious to have them in the same room as those great pins. You've
> accomplished a lot to make PAPA happen again. Best wishes for a great
> tournament ! LTG :)

How can one know the light, without also seeing darkness? :)

TheKorn wrote:
> I like your solution to "electricity needed in the middle of the room, and
> I'm NOT breaking up the concrete"!

The hanging electrical distribution? Thank the architect!

Kevin

Steve Prendergast wrote:
> I was at the PAPA facility today dropping off an AFM and was shocked to
> see the vids as well.

I didn't know such strong anti-video sentiment still lingered
amongst the pinball community ;) Just because I used to put in
ten-hour days on TAF or Whitewater or Funhouse, doesn't mean I
couldn't waste some time with Bosconian, Magic Sword, or
Tutankham :)

Kevin

No anti-vid sentiment from me. I am mainly a vid guy as you know from being
over the house and seeing what I have.. Wanna sell me that Tempest? ;)

--
-Steve P.

All messages are scanned with Norton Anti-Virus

> Steve Prendergast wrote:
>> I was at the PAPA facility today dropping off an AFM and was shocked to
>> see the vids as well.
>
> I didn't know such strong anti-video sentiment still lingered
> amongst the pinball community ;) Just because I used to put in
> ten-hour days on TAF or Whitewater or Funhouse, doesn't mean I
> couldn't waste some time with Bosconian, Magic Sword, or
> Tutankham :)
>
> Kevin

> How can one know the light, without also seeing darkness? :)

Well spoken Obi-Wan-Kenobi ;-)

Jelle

i completly avoid that TOTAN at Pinburgh in 2003..

it isn't fun to get so high with the score to do only 1 thing. shooting
the left orbit orbit to get the harem spelled to get it's multiball.
pretty lame.

i hope there will be an Adams Family, TZ (again),
Funhouse was fun to have it last year why not do it again :).
Dr Who was nice at pinburgh 2 years ago,
that's a great tourney game for me :),
and YES KME Sopranos should be Nice in A,.

i hope also for a CV WITH both outlane posts installed.without them is
pretty lame,
cuz on that machine in that case you can't prove skill.
cuz of the missing outlane posts.

maybe NASCAR :) if it will be there :D
since no one knows it yet :) should be cool..
but i guess it won't make it.. but it should surprise me if it does.

Fishtales should be a nice tourney one :)

Dracula is great :)

maybe drop an older game into it,. why not an Black Knight 2000, hehehe

Monster Bash is good too..
anyway i will see what it will be,. whatever it is i know him :)

till then folks

Dutch *Tommy* E'C CyBeRRoy

*Tommy*CyBeRRoy wrote:
> it isn't fun to get so high with the score to do only 1 thing. shooting
> the left orbit orbit to get the harem spelled to get it's multiball.
> pretty lame.

Well, I agree, but people are trying to win. They will do
whatever is necessary.

> i hope also for a CV WITH both outlane posts installed.without them is
> pretty lame,
> cuz on that machine in that case you can't prove skill.
> cuz of the missing outlane posts.

Well, when I put CV in A that year, everyone said "oh, I'm
going to play Ringmaster Battle all day". Now, that is not so
easy in later ROMs, as I understand it, but you can be assured
that with the left outlane post removed, nobody started
Ringmaster Battle ;)

> maybe NASCAR :) if it will be there :D
> since no one knows it yet :) should be cool..
> but i guess it won't make it.. but it should surprise me if it does.

Nascar will be there. Probably not in competition, though.

Kevin

cah

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2005

Cayle George wrote:
> Pretty hard to exploit BSD - A fine tourney machine.

You've obviously never heard of the altar strategy.

Hey, don't forget

118 000,728,000 Josh Sharpe

I agree with KME about game selection -- it does stink to have a game
with a one-sided strategy. And I agree with KJM -- if there is a
one-sided strategy, you're basically forced to go for it, because
someone else will. I think the game selection at Pinburgh and PAPA has
been fantastic in this respect, with very few exceptions.

Oh, and Gofers better be in qualifying again, or else ;)

- Bowen

kme

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2005

>Oh, and Gofers better be in qualifying again, or else ;)

yeah, nothing like taking advantage of that 50X scoring bug on Cart
Attack to piss off the competition :)

> Well, when I put CV in A that year, everyone said "oh, I'm
> going to play Ringmaster Battle all day". Now, that is not so
> easy in later ROMs, as I understand it, but you can be assured
> that with the left outlane post removed, nobody started
> Ringmaster Battle ;)

Agree with ya Kevin it helped.. ooh yes it did :)

NOBODY could be ever reaching the Ringmaster Battle Mode. as a matter
of fact, they (including me) couldn't even reach the R'M Special
multiball.

And my opinion is,.

i guess it will be tough enough to reach the R'M Battle sequence
with both posts in there.. but then both the posts ALL the Way up.

i like the idea that i have an oppurtunity to actually save the ball
from draining through the outlanes because of the rubbers on the
outlane posts. proof and throw some odd skills to keep the ball alive.
and with that CV from Pinburgh 2003. wasn't the case at all.

cuz if the ball was there at the left inlane/outlane area it was going
for 90% to the outlane.

but otherwise thinking,.

i know Kevin that your goal is, to place machines in A (for example).

where the ball time MUST and will be set to a minimum. to give other
players also the time to play that particulair game.. i understand
that..

but that CV crossed the lines..

the excitement and fun on that particular machine was gone.

and yes i know it is a tourney setup game.
but for me it isn't only for the points and the winning.
i play also for the fun of it. and CV missed all of the fun.

cuz of the missing left post. my 2cnts about it..

> > maybe NASCAR :) if it will be there :D
> > since no one knows it yet :) should be cool..
> > but i guess it won't make it.. but it should surprise me if it does.
>
> Nascar will be there. Probably not in competition, though.

That is wonderfull news Kevin :) i'm wondering how it plays..
i hope it will maybe be an TOPS game instead?

Grtz Tha Dutch *Tommy* C'E CyBeRRoy

gofers is an Great Option YES :D throw it in A you have another vote
here :)

since i was Nr 1 with the scores at the end in qualifications with
Gofers and BSD :) hehe

lovely tournament machines,. this year i will be more serious with the
classics..

kme

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2005

Gofers is too buggy... ok in Qualifying but never in a finals match.
Whirlwind was fun last year as well (Except for the random tilts) TOM
was good except for the secret ball lock being enabled. WCS is always
good too.

cah

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2005

KME wrote:
> Gofers is too buggy... ok in Qualifying but never in a finals match.

Well, if the game malfunctions on you... "Hey, the game is violent
enough" ;)

> Whirlwind was fun last year as well (Except for the random tilts)

And the saucer rejections as well from what I hear.

> TOM was good except for the secret ball lock being enabled.

Give me a 'T'
Give me an 'H'
Give me a 'E'
Give me an 'A'
Give me a 'T'
Give me an 'R'
Give me an 'E'

Almost as painful to watch as to read.

> WCS is always good too.
Agreed.

alter or rats ...........strategy.
but the ball will drain sometimes. pends the kickout speed and angle of
the scoop.

good tourney games with no rapes/unbalanced scoring

BSD
sopranos (yep.i agree)
godzilla (dont laugh, the largest points is when you start all 5 m
balls at once or complete all and get to "new york") nothing to rape on
the game. games can last long, but just have the pf waxed well and
increase the pitch greatly.

elvis (with updated roms so you cant start the same mode again quickly
after the ball drains)

scared stiff
monster bash
lord of the rings
dirty harry
TOM

basically the games in which you really have to complete everything to
get the largest points (example- scared stiff monster multiball/spider
multiball). so raping a spinner or loop wont get the big points.