Sign in with
Your question

My Computer is heating my room

Last response: in CPUs
October 12, 2003 8:36:58 PM

this is a serious problem . it seem like my computer work like a heating system. Is it normal
here's my spec

My own beast: Athlon 2700xp+ , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 400/360) , 512mb ddr400. SO MUCH faster than my father pIII 550......

More about : computer heating room

October 12, 2003 9:14:01 PM

check temps. on cpu and mamma board, if above 60 c your runnin hot. Check fan speed also ( if fan dies it could kill cpu and or mamma board). If you dont have a program to do this go into bios and check temps there. If all that is all right its just expelling heat into room which it is suppost to do, and that will be fixed in a month or to by a program called WINTER, unless your one of the lucky ones that live in Key West.

The man of steel said that
October 12, 2003 9:36:03 PM

actually i wont need any heating during winter because of my computer. btw temp is 30c cpu 20c mobo bacause i have a house fan shooting air in the case because before i did that my temp was above 60c/40c

My own beast: Athlon 2700xp+ , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 400/360) , 512mb ddr400. SO MUCH faster than my father pIII 550......
Related resources
October 13, 2003 1:01:10 AM

Since I upgraded from my Thunderbird 1.4, I've had to resort to actually turning on the central heating in my room. That baby used to hit 70+ in games, now I'm lucky if I can get much above 40.

Maybe I should get a Geforce FX to compensate...
October 13, 2003 1:04:16 AM

Blardy blardy blar!!! Ma comp hits me with a wave of heat every time I sit down..nice and toasty in da winter cause I keep both windows open on account of me lighting matches every few minutes.

The one and only "Monstrous BULLgarian!"
October 13, 2003 1:50:27 AM

No matter how hot it is running it will still release the same amount of heat, the heatsink only acts to disipate the heat.

To reduce the thermal output, underclock and/or undervolt

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pIII_Man on 10/12/03 09:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
October 13, 2003 1:53:56 AM

Of course it will. its a high end system.
All high end systems will... regardles of AMD or intell or the CPU temp.

Whats important is the total thermal output.

Alot comes from the CRT monitor (if you have one), the PSU, graphics card and cpu.
Enough to warm a room certainly.

mine does quite nicely.

<b>I am not a AMD fanboy.
I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
I AM a performance fanboy.
And a low price fanboy. :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>
October 13, 2003 2:15:29 AM

The room my PC in is small, and quite well isolated with the door shut.
Add to that the fact that our house is usually cool, and i run a powerful 17" crt i can get up to 4-5C hotter than the rest of the house.
Nice in winter!
Not so fun in summer.

I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
Regards,
October 13, 2003 2:26:19 AM

Fock yeah, like my case, my room is meant to capture tons of heat in one section while the other is cool. That section is about 10ºF hotter than the rest of my house!

October 13, 2003 2:29:22 AM

hehe.
Its gonna be even better when the spaceheater called prescott comes onto the scene :D 

They talk about more efficient CPU coolers to keep the thermal output under control, but that just shifting the heat away from the CPU/Case.
You still have to get the heat out the room!

I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
Regards,
October 13, 2003 2:29:42 AM

My room is also small.

I have only 15" CRT and no active cooled graphics card. My room is only 1C-2C hotter compared to rest of the house.

In the summer, there's not much difference between 34C and 35C, so it's not a problem.

----------------
<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A></b>

<b><A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig & 3DMark score</A></b>
October 13, 2003 2:34:52 AM

/me thinks about my system.

3 HDD's constantly running = 20 to 50W
1 overclocked R9800pro = 50W
1 overclocked cpu = 70 or 80W
1 CRT running at full speed = 100 to 120W
mobo and other bits = 25 to 50W.
1 human body = who knows?

it all adds up.

I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
Regards,
October 13, 2003 2:35:46 AM

So turn on the AC that will kool things off.
October 13, 2003 2:38:47 AM

AC... AC... whots that? LOL
My PC allready consumes enough power, imagine the extra bitching that would ensue if i installed an aircon?

I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
Regards,
October 13, 2003 2:45:55 AM

At least you will not be sweaty while on your Puter.
October 13, 2003 2:50:35 AM

Maybe when i can afford my own place... untill then i have to endure.

And thus my rig is outfitted for high temp running.

Oversized CPU cooler, lots of casefans, well designed case, drives behind front fanholes, ramsinks on graphics card ram, active NB cooling etc.

I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
Regards,
October 13, 2003 3:01:33 AM

Master poo, I am getting close (a few months) to an upgrade. Here's what I plan:

2x AMD Hammer (or maybe 1x AMF-FX if it can't be done in a dualie)
1GB DDR
RAID 0 4x raptors or faster
2x maxtor 200GB HDD's for backup
oced vid card (let's say GF 7/ quadro)
17" CRT or 23" LCD
sound crd
7.1 speaker system
other funky stuff
ooo das gonna be tons of heat!

October 13, 2003 3:06:33 AM

hmmm.
I have a bit of an issue with the FX and opteron at the moment.

The FX only takes annoying registered ram, and the opteron needs heniously expensive ECC PC2700.

I might upgrade when or IF a FX/opteron comes out that takes dual channel plane jane PC3200.

I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
Regards,
October 13, 2003 3:06:40 AM

You have lots of money to spend? Any extra you don't need?
October 13, 2003 3:09:03 AM

You can buy one of those floor fans they sell at home depot for $100. That will kool you and your puter. Just make shure you have no papers laying around.
October 13, 2003 4:35:59 AM

Lol, the rest goes for cheese and soda!

a b à CPUs
October 13, 2003 6:40:58 AM

This is normal. My office reaches up to 110F in the summer, preventing me from turning on the computer until after sundown.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 13, 2003 7:19:05 PM

I have the AC on. The sun is coming in allmost time do shut down till the sun goes to bed.
October 13, 2003 7:27:26 PM

My comp is in a pretty large room with high ceilings, but when i close the door, the temp goes up by at least 1c, and thats with a pentium iii, although a lot of it comes from the crt.

Looks like in the future we are only going to get hotter, both the FX and Scotty put out A LOT of heat.

If it isn't a P6 then it isn't a procesor
110% BX fanboy
October 13, 2003 7:34:17 PM

Who needs the oil companys when these new cpus are putting out nice heat. For free after you pay for it.
October 13, 2003 7:38:50 PM

Amd, Intel, Nvidia etc. should really try to correct these problems in the future. Transmeta is prolly unique in this respect. [wishfull thinking]Now if you could only combine the performance of an FX with the power consumption of a Crusoe. [/wishfull thinking] *sigh*

<font color=blue>
<i><font color=black>Faithless</font color=black></i> is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
J. R. R. Tolkien
</font color=blue>
a b à CPUs
October 13, 2003 10:51:45 PM

Where I live it typically gets to around 95F outside in the hot part of the summer. Occasionally it gets to 100F or a bit higher. The sun makes my office 10F hotter than the outside temp, with the windows open and fan blowing. My AC can't keep up so I don't even try to cool this room. Turning on the computer raises the room temp another 5F or so. After around 20 minutes at 115F I feel like I've been in the sauna too long, shut the computer back off, and leave

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
October 14, 2003 12:17:03 AM

You must be living in Arizona. Down here in Fla we don't hit 100F in the summer. Today hit 88F.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2003 12:18:14 AM

Captain Obvious says that when the RPM of the fans in his computers PSU hits the max its time to shutdown!

<b><font color=red>Captain Obvious To The Rescue!!!</font color=red></b>
October 14, 2003 12:21:34 AM

Shutdown or smoke down.
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2003 4:26:12 AM

No, I live in Michigan. Because of all the surface water, humidity is often over 90%. Tempatures go over 95F aroud 3 weeks a year, and occasionally top 100F, all while maintaining those high humidity levels. Winter temps often dip below 0F. It cost me $150 a month in the summer to cool 1/2 my trailer, and $150 a month in the winter to heat 1/2 my trailer.

October 14, 2003 6:39:48 AM

arizona? it gets hotter than that in california. arizona gets upwards of 120 in the summer.

wpdclan.com cs game server - 69.12.5.119:27015
October 14, 2003 8:57:38 AM

Down here in Georgia, June and July costs me and my roommates about $500/month to cool the house. 2 central units, 1 for each floor, plus a wonderful 17,800 BTU wall unit for my "cave". Over by the wall unit, it's about 68 degrees but over here at the computer its 78. This is constant throughout the year. Last year when we had an unusual foot of snow, I still had to keep the air condioner on to keep the room from getting up into the 90's. Who needs a heater when you have a Sony 21" E540 and a 2500+ OC'd to 3200, 27" tv, power amp, etc. etc.

<font color=purple>AMD XP 2200+, A7N8X Deluxe, 512mb PC3200 Corsair XMS DDR, Geforce3 Ti-500, Audigy Platinum, 230GB of HD's, TDK 48x CDRW, Lite-On 16x DVD, XP Pro SP1, and more neon than a ghetto sled </font color=purple>
October 14, 2003 5:55:47 PM

With the new Scotty at 120 Watts you will not have to heat 1/2 your tralier. That will heat it for you.
October 14, 2003 5:58:07 PM

I have central AC. But!!! Where my puter is with the Ice on it's still to warm.
a b à CPUs
October 14, 2003 7:43:55 PM

That's what sux about GA. Our summers are shorter, and hot spells less frequent.

October 14, 2003 7:46:02 PM

i live in quebec and we have hot summer and very cold winter

October 15, 2003 4:41:14 AM

Quote:
If all that is all right its just expelling heat into room which it is suppost to do, and that will be fixed in a month or to by a program called WINTER

haha i get it

-------

October 15, 2003 4:44:24 AM

Quote:
My mom often blames me for leaving the room without turning off the 40W light.

I keep the PC 12+ hour/day in holidays. Thanks god....she doesn't know my PC sucks ~230W!

eheh yea im glad my electric bill is included in me rent !

*glares at slightly o'd palomino*

-------

!