mgame

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Here's my prob. I have a ASUS A7V333 Mobo Rev 2.0 Bios version 1017. Current working cpu is a AMD Athalon 1700. Wanted to upgrade to a XP 2500. Originally thought new CPU was DOA so got RMA and replaced. Got replacement still won't work. Message received. "System fail cpu test in voice".

Anyone on this board or any other have the same mobo and have any luck getting the bloody thing to work. If so would you please tell me the correct settings for any jumpers I would have to set?!

Thought settings should be VID3,4 Set to pins 1 and 2.
Sysclock set to 166. Power regulator unlimited. Jumper free mode off.

Thanks, Matt Neufeld

mgame

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
How about I just send this damned cpu so that you can test it for me. Cause everyone on here says just put it in and walla. Even on jumper free mode I have no luck.

Thanks Matt Neufeld

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
hehe, that message usually has nothing to do with the CPU, it's Asus's generic warning that the system failed to boot on the last attempt. Try getting into BIOS and setting it to default first, then set the bus speed properly at the reboot.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mgame

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I don't have a retail box it is a OEM cpu. I do have the invoice. A trade would be cool. According to the bios my system hangs cause of a improper setting? Just doesn't make sense to me. Anyone else on these boards tells me they just put the chip in and changed the bus speed to 166 and worked no probs. If this were a client computer I'd be working on probably would've worked the 1st time. Thanks for your replies and assistance though!

mgame

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Ok I understand what the problem is. I understand that I shouldn't be able to get much past 133Mhz on the bus. What doesn't make sense that the manual tells me I should be able to select multiples from 5.0 to 14.0. For some reason I can only max out at 12.5? if I had 13.5. Then I could run my new XP 2500 without to much trouble. If I left the system on auto it always wants to set the stupid thing at 166. Let me know what you think.

ozmol

Distinguished
May 11, 2001
Yes, it appears that v2.0 of the pcb with the latest BIOS does support 166mhz fsb(333fsb) Athlons, but what sort of ram do you have? The board may be trying to run the ram syncronously in which case you need at least PC-2700 ram (DDR333).

Sounds like the the CPU multiplier is locked at 12.5 (166 x 12.5 = 2075mhz). This sounds right for an XP2500+.

mgame

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I have (2)512Mg Samsung PC2700.
I get this bothersome warning in the bios whenever I try and set the bus to 166mhz telling me that "It is best to run the bus greater than or equal to 333mhz" I'm not exactly sure what it is talking about. I have been building computers for myself and clients for the last 7yrs and never have I had so much trouble with just upgrading a cpu.
I have emailed ASUS which it will probably take about a month or more to reply. If I can't get this cpu to work. Then I will just sell it on ebay and make my money back.