craqon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
Goto http://www.realstorm.com/Download.html

Any reason why these type of benchmarks aren't used?

At least it will tell you which CPU will render the best 3D. Sorry guys. You lot with the 9800's and 5900's will have to stand in the same corner as the one's with the S3 Trio 64's, because this benchmark uses no 3d hardware.

Easy way to find out where your bottleneck is now, not?

For using now 3d hardware, this still looks not too bad. I can hear your quad Xeon desktop grind to a halt from this side of the hemisphere.

Your views?

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
The answer: nobody will use this. People at home aren't concerned with this type of performance. They want faster games and faster audio/video, both streaming, and encoding.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

craqon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
Yes, but with this you'll be able to find out which processor processes numerous processes the fastest. (Say that ten times fast.)

As I said, build a stable fast platform and then build the PC up from there. With this you can see why your PC is not doing the greatest. You know what to expect from a certain cofiguration. With no real issues with drivers. If you have a super system and scoring crap in 3d Mark or AquanMark, where do you start to troubleshoot?

With this you can immediately say that the problem is not software based, but a hardware issue.

It's like troubleshooting a PC on a network. You don't go and reinstall TCP/IP or check gateway and DNS. You start with a cabletester. Not?

I'm not trying too bring in a stupid issue. But is raw performance not the first test?

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
It would be..........if there's such a thing as "raw performance". There isn't. Performance depends on software. There is no such thing as "raw" software. All software have a pattern that sits better with different computer systems.
Doing well in this software does *not* guarantee you'll do better in all others. That's true of any software because they vary vastly both in functionality and optimizations.
What makes this program any more "valid" as a standard of measuring performance as say.........3DMark? Or Sandra? Those all attempt to achieve a "standard" of performance, but that's a failed model. If consumers don't use software that's similar to the way 3DMark or Sandra is coded, whatever results they give will not reflect what consumers will see. The same is true of this.
So again, nobody cares about the performance of a piece of code they will never use. They care about how their common applications will run, which can be coded entirely different and perform vastly different on different systems.

craqon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
As I said, build a stable fast platform and then build the PC up from there. With this you can see why your PC is not doing the greatest. You know what to expect from a certain cofiguration. With no real issues with drivers. If you have a super system and scoring crap in 3d Mark or AquanMark, where do you start to troubleshoot?

That is the argument.

And besides. These benchies looks cool as well. Check the screenshots. And say "wow, my S3 Trio 64V+ Decelerator can do exactly the same as that."

And any PC "can" run 3D Mark and look cool. It's nice to see something out there that makes a PC still go 'crunch.'

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
So....do it for the "wow" effect? Why not just download some nVidia demos, or better yet, buy a Mac, the "wow" factor........

Now for those of us who wants something useful...

craqon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
And still you don't understand.

You can optimize your software only that much. If the hardware is not optimized first then there will be issues. And 3D Mark is not the tool to do this. PCMark maybe. Or Sysoft. Or this. Which looks way nicer. It does have AA and volume lights, so before you decide it's not useful, try it. What is a 10Mb download?

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
What will it tell me? Will it tell me the speed at which I can encode video? Or how about how fast my scenes in lightwave will render? How about my games? Nope, doesn't do any of those things, all it does is give me some trivial number.
So why do I care? To tune my PC? Why would I tune my PC to run this better? It brings me no use. I did, however, tune my PC for quite a bit to get faster encode rates, which I did.

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
What is a 10Mb download?
an hour of wasted time & call charges for us poor dial-up users :frown: ...

I can write a program in Powerbasic that executes some calculation 20 million times and gives a score. that would be just as effective as any other 'RAW' power benchmark which includes no specific hardware optimizations.

I'm really not sure as to what you mean by 'optimised hardware' anyway. There's not a great deal you can do to 'optimise' hardware, apart from check it's running at it's rated speed (or as fast as you can go if you're an overclocker - and that can only be found by experimentation).

---
<font color=red>The preceding text is assembled from information stored in an unreliable organic storage medium. As such it may be innacurate, incomplete, or completely wrong</font color=red> :wink:

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
My weekly virus scan turned up “Trojan Horse BackDoor.Hftp.B” in the desktop Application “RealStormBench2004.exe”.

Lucky the program in the folder doesn’t contain this virus, which is what I think I ran to check it out.

I haven’t installed any other apps in the past 2 weeks.

Check your system!!!

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

craqon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
That's quite odd. But mind you. I've picked up the strangest virusses on my PC. Norton get's them all. But it is an irritation, especially that stupid Swen virus. I get about 9 megs of it per day. And my web client doesn't provide virus checking. It is free though. I've would have asked him not to relay messages from Microsoft, but then I miss out on all the nice/free MS convention/launch invites.