My Computer icon disappeared.

Greeting all!

For some reason the "My Computer" icon has disapeared from my desktop. I
have no idea how it happened or why, and more important; I don't know how to
get it back.

Is it possible to create a new shortcut to "My Computer", or in any other
way bring the icon back?

Can anyone help?

Wizard
4 answers Last reply
More about computer icon disappeared

    "Wizard" <wizard@NOSPAM.zykes.com> wrote in message
    > Greeting all!
    >
    > For some reason the "My Computer" icon has disapeared from my desktop. I
    > have no idea how it happened or why, and more important; I don't know how
    > get it back.
    >
    > Is it possible to create a new shortcut to "My Computer", or in any other
    > way bring the icon back?
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Wizard

    Hi
    Start >right click My Computer >Show on Desktop
    Chas

    "Wizard" wrote:

    > Greeting all!
    >
    > For some reason the "My Computer" icon has disapeared from my desktop. I
    > have no idea how it happened or why, and more important; I don't know how to
    > get it back.
    >
    > Is it possible to create a new shortcut to "My Computer", or in any other
    > way bring the icon back?
    >
    > Can anyone help?
    >
    > Wizard
    >

    >If the icon disapeared on the deaktop
    >Click-Start -right click My Computer-Show on Desktop

    Thanks,

    That worked indeed, but I use the classic start menu and as soon as I go
    back to it - it disapears again :-\

    Any further ideas?

    Wiz

    "Chas" <charles@prattindustriestheobvious.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message

    > "Wizard" <wizard@NOSPAM.zykes.com> wrote in message
    > > Greeting all!
    > >
    > > For some reason the "My Computer" icon has disapeared from my desktop. I
    > > have no idea how it happened or why, and more important; I don't know
    how
    > > get it back.
    > >
    > > Is it possible to create a new shortcut to "My Computer", or in any
    other
    > > way bring the icon back?
    > >
    > > Can anyone help?
    > >
    > > Wizard
    > >

    > Hi
    > Start >right click My Computer >Show on Desktop
    > Chas

    Right click Desktop | Properties | Desktop tab |
    Customize Desktop button | General tab |
    Desktop icons | Select what you want on the Desktop:
     My Documents
     My Computer
     My Network Places
     Internet Explorer

    [[Specifies whether these Windows items will appear as icons on your
    desktop. Select the check box if you want the item to appear on your
    desktop; clear the check box if you do not want the item to appear on your
    desktop.]]
    -----

    Look here...

    Read the instructions at the top
    Scroll down to
    276. Enable/Disable My Computer Icon
    ---

    XP Pro??

    Start | Run | Type: gpedit.msc | OK |
    Navigate to >>
    Local Computer Policy\User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Desktop\
    Double click: Remove My Computer icon on the desktop, in the right hand pane
    | Setting tab | Check:  Not Configured | Apply | OK

    If Enabled this setting grays out (makes unavailable)  My Computer in >>
    Right click Desktop | Properties | Desktop Tab | Customize Desktop button

    [[This setting hides My Computer from the desktop and from the new Start
    menu. It also hides links to My Computer in the Web view of all Explorer
    windows, and it hides My Computer in the Explorer folder tree pane. If the
    user navigates into My Computer via the "Up" button while this setting is
    enabled, they view an empty My Computer folder. This setting allows
    administrators to restrict their users from seeing My Computer in the shell
    namespace, allowing them to present their users with a simpler desktop
    environment.

    If you enable this setting, My Computer is hidden on the desktop, the new
    Start menu, the Explorer folder tree pane, and the Explorer Web views. If
    the user manages to navigate to My Computer, the folder will be empty.

    If you disable this setting, My Computer is displayed as usual, appearing as
    normal on the desktop, Start menu, folder tree pane, and Web views, unless
    restricted by another setting.

    If you do not configure this setting, the default is to display My Computer
    as usual.

    Note: Hiding My Computer and its contents does not hide the contents of the
    child folders of My Computer. For example, if the users navigate into one of
    their hard drives, they see all of their folders and files there, even if
    this setting is enabled. ]]

    Or you can.............
    Start | Run | regedit | OK |

    Navigate to >>
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum
    {20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}
    REG_DWORD
    0x0000000 (0)

    0 = My Computer on Desktop & Start Menu.
    1 = No My Computer on Desktop & Start Menu.

    Set to 0.

    Or..........
    Delete the key >>
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\NonEnum

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:%23dTMVfirFHA.2228@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl,
    Wizard <wizard@NOSPAM.zykes.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Thanks,
    >
    > That worked indeed, but I use the classic start menu and as soon as I go
    > back to it - it disapears again :-\
    >
    > Any further ideas?
    >
    > Wiz
    >
    > "Chas" <charles@prattindustriestheobvious.wanadoo.co.uk> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Wizard" <wizard@NOSPAM.zykes.com> wrote in message
    >>> Greeting all!
    >>>
    >>> For some reason the "My Computer" icon has disapeared from my desktop. I
    >>> have no idea how it happened or why, and more important; I don't know
    >>> how to
    >>> get it back.
    >>>
    >>> Is it possible to create a new shortcut to "My Computer", or in any
    >>> other way bring the icon back?
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone help?
    >>>
    >>> Wizard
    >>>

    >> Hi
    >> Start >right click My Computer >Show on Desktop
    >> Chas

Desktops Microsoft Computers Windows XP