Verbatim DVD-R Caution on Box

I just bought a spindle pack of 50 Verbatim that says UP TO 8X.

There is a big Caution note on it that says:

Damage to media and hardware could occur if this disc is used in some 1X/2X
DVD drives. Check drive's manufacturer for latest firmware."

Damage to hardware ????

I have a Sony DVD player and a DVD-R writer drive on my 2-year-old 700 XL.
Should I take them back ?

--
C and A Bredt

If you have any doubt whatsoever, return them.
Or keep them and if you ruin your DVD drive, then you can go out and buy a
new one that'll do all formats for $70-80!