Sign in with
Your question

IE Error - Loads Blank Page

Last response: in Windows 7
November 12, 2012 6:04:20 PM

Running Windows 7 o/s. Internet Explorer now loads a "Blank Page". Have removed several malware which highjacked IE. Used
Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Revouninstaller programs. Believed to have cleaned Registry correctly. Have searched YouTube for solutions. Can use any suggestions.

More about : error loads blank page

a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2012 8:51:26 PM

Hi :) 

Run a Norton 2013 scan...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
November 12, 2012 9:17:36 PM

Brett, thanks for replying. I don't have Norton & can't afford it now. Have you any other recommendations? I've installed Malwarebytes free, CCLeaner, Revouninstaller & it's made the laptop run much faster. But, I can't eliminate the IE 7 default blank page loading. I've spent hours fixing my grandson's laptop, which was infected w. multiple malware & slowed it down immensely. Now, its protected from future attacks. I've tried researching on YouTube, Google & can't find the answer. I know there's a solution to fix this blank page issue somewhere. Thx PC
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2012 9:35:46 PM

Hi Phil :) 

http://us.norton.com/downloads/

Thats a free trial of NIS 2013 (the middle one on the page)

Not sure how long it will last (maybe only 15 days) but Norton trials ARE usually the FULL VERSION...

m
l
November 12, 2012 9:51:29 PM

Ok, I'll try it. Norton has been such a large memory intensive program & didn't catch all the malware in the past, I've been using various other quality free-ware versions; Avast & AVG. Meanwhile, between emails, I located an IE 7 blank page default solution in MS Support.
Their recommendation is to use Notepad & create a Text Editor file. "RunOnceHasShown"=dword: 0000007,
"RunOnceCompleted"=dword:00000007. Have you heard of this solution? I'll try yours first. Thx Phil
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
November 12, 2012 9:52:34 PM

phil_crawford said:
Ok, I'll try it. Norton has been such a large memory intensive program & didn't catch all the malware in the past, I've been using various other quality free-ware versions; Avast & AVG. Meanwhile, between emails, I located an IE 7 blank page default solution in MS Support.
Their recommendation is to use Notepad & create a Text Editor file. "RunOnceHasShown"=dword: 0000007,
"RunOnceCompleted"=dword:00000007. Have you heard of this solution? I'll try yours first. Thx Phil

Hi Phil :) 

I own computer shops in the UK and do this stuff all the time lol..removing viruses and spyware...

Try what I said and if it doesn't work come back and I will have a final suggestion...

Oh and Norton is fine these days...that memory hog thing was resolved in 2008...

m
l
November 12, 2012 10:01:32 PM

Have you tried another browser to make sure it's just IE having the issue? I've seen some malware/virus that made a change in IE and caused a similar issue to which you speak. Here is exactly what it changed. Internet Options - Connections - LAN Settings and it had selected a Proxy Server. Uncheck Proxy Server. Currently, I have Automatically detect settings checked and all is well. Also, you can try going into Internet Options - Advanced and press the Reset button to reset IE to defaults.
m
l
November 12, 2012 11:09:28 PM

Ok. Thanks Brett. I'll download Norton 2013 & will respond back. P.S. I had the unique opportunity nearly 40 years ago. My dad was a sales mgr & was offered a trial position to set up sales account reps in Europe. We moved to the Hague, NL in 1970 & I attended the American Intl H.S. of the Hague, Netherlands; graduating in 1973. I played varsity tennis, skiing, soccer, track & volleyball. When playing other American Intl H.S., each team's players hosted the competing team. In this manner, I was able to travel throughout Europe, as every nation's capital had a school. I visited Germany, Switzerland, France, Belgium & England via the sports program for tournaments. I played in the UK soccer tournament, Spring of 1972. I visited England earlier in 1972 & went to all the major national sites in London.

My heritage is English & Scottish; our family last name is Crawford (fathers). Others are Reycroft (mothers) , Ives (fathers) & Russell (mothers). Some day, I hope to return as it's been decades. I can honestly say that the most memorable experiences occurred in Europe. There are so many advances over the U.S.; 1) Culture, 2) Languages, 3) Transportation, 4) Cuisine, 5) Architecture, 6) Family unity & respect (no specific order). Every EU nation speaks a minimum of (3) languages; our foreign language programs in H.S./college don't even compare. The culture of every EU nation is so unique & honorable. The train (local & express) & bus arrival/departure times are so accurate. I could set my watch by the transit system. If I was 15-30 seconds late to the local train station in Voorschoten, NL (town outside The Hague-10km east) for school, I missed the connection. Every country has spectacular eating at every level, for every meal time. They'll all exceptional & the people take such great pride in everything they produce or sell.
However, learning to drink UK warm beer; light or dark, took quite a while to adjust to.

Hopefully, if only our nation can re-learn to emulate the European cultural values, we may still have a chance for survival. Sadly, it's very unlikely. Our nation is so diluted now, that the minorities have become the aggregate majority in our democratic process. They believe in the concept of having big government take care of them financially. I've been working since I was 12 yrs. old. I have an different viewpoint. That hard work ethic, I believe, is what build our country, early on.

I even miss the Wednesday/Saturday city flea markets & especially the Friday, fresh food open markets. The buildings in every village, town, city are so impressive; dating back centuries & are so well maintained. With our fragmented family circle & society, respect for sr. family members & elders is almost non-existent. I grew up in Connecticut & New Hampshire; New England; born in Bridgeport, CT. A very conservative & Protestant background (Congregationalist). It's so sad to see our national values collapse in just one generation. I'm 58 & will probably be working for the next 10 yrs, based on our state-side economic dilemma.

In closing, I have first hand experience of just how special the European societies & cultures are. If I were in a better position, I would relocate back instantly. One of the most important lessons learned there was respect, trust & friendship. Americans say they've met a new friend the other day. Incorrect. They've only made an acquaintance. True friendship is earned. It is based on shared values & trust-over considerable time. Unfortunately, this concept here will never be adopted, as it's too difficult to comprehend. I'm one of few Americans who's had this rare opportunity to live & experience the splendors of where our nation originated from.
I wish you the best in your business ventures & personal longevity.

I truly appreciate your effort in helping me solve this issue.
V/R Phil

m
l
November 13, 2012 2:28:22 AM

Brett, I'm truly sorry about the previous email. I've had 3 orthopedic surgeries (L&R Shoulder rebuilds & Total L/Knee replacements), 1 per month & I wasn't think correctly, being heavily medicated. It bought back such fond memories. When I realized after sending, that others could access this note, I immediately sent an urgent note, requested the IT staff to remove it ASAP from the webpage for obvious reasons & withdraw of membership as penalty. Again sorry for the over-writing of my experiences in europe. Please disregard, delete & don't respond from that reply. I have another internal & 1 R/Ankle rebuild later this month. Please accept my apology for overzealousness. Living in europe has made the strongest impact on my life.
V/R Phil
m
l
November 13, 2012 4:23:50 AM

On the IE-7 Blank Page, I can type in a web address to say MSN, Google & it immediately is directed, so I'm connected to the internet.
Your notes:
1) Look at the Internet Options\Connections\LAN Settings\
2) Find & Uncheck the Proxy Server. Location?
3) Check the Automatically detect settings. Location?
4) Go Internet Options-Advanced Settings. Ok
5) Press Reset Button to reset IE to Defaults. Done

I went to Find More Providers & dragged Add-Ons to the Favorites Bar
I'm looking for a Windows IE-7 Icon
In the View & Manage your Internet Explorer Add-Ons, I eliminated the list down to Google & Bing.
However, it wants to always set Bing as the Default Search Provider, even when I select Google.
I went to Control Panel-Network & Internet-Internet Optons-Change Home Page.
I've changed it to: http://www.msn.com/; but its always being overridden.

Good News! I was able to set Google & it now loads IE-7 fine. I went to Tools on the Favorites Status Bar above the Google image, clicked on Tools. The drop-down gave options for:menu bar, favorites bar, Command Bar, Status Bar. I checked Status Bar, then unlocked the Lock Tool Bars option. Also, in the Manage Search Providers, I moved Bing, from 2nd position, but wouldn't allow the default setting change, to 1st position & Google to the 2nd. I now could make Google Default & deleted Bing. It originally had 2 different Bing Icons loaded, 1 blue & 1 red. If you can respond about the other Qs above; thanks for your help. I'll be searching myself Thx PC
m
l
November 13, 2012 3:24:00 PM

1) Look at the Internet Options\Connections\LAN Settings\
2) Find & Uncheck the Proxy Server. Location?
3) Check the Automatically detect settings. Location?

I double checked an IE7 system to make sure I pointed you correctly. Let me try again.

1) In IE, go to Tools and choose Internet Options
2) Move to the Connections tab
3) Look for a button in the bottom right that says "LAN settings," press it.
4) A new window will open for LAN settings. There are two areas in the window for configuration. The top portion is called Automatic configuration and the bottom is Proxy server. If the check box to use a proxy is not selected already, then this not your issue.

My Win 7 - IE9 system had the "Automatically detect settings" box checked, but another XP - IE7 box doesn't have anything.

You said IE7 loads fine now, so you can get on the net or the program loads?
m
l
!