MN-710 + Linksys Wireless G router + XP Home issues

I have the Microsoft MN-710 USB 2.0 Wireless Network Adapter attached
to a computer and the wireless router is in another room with a second
computer attached to it. So far the one that is attached to the
router works great. I also have an iPaq H4155 with built in wireless
802.11b built-in and it, too, connects just fine. I have configured
the router to run DHCP and so far the wired computer and the palmtop
both recieve the autmatic IP fine.

The wireless computer with the MN-710 is detecting a signal, but its
not getting an IP address from the router. At first I thought it was
the McAfeee Personal Firewall, so I disabled it. It still didn't
work. I even tried static IP within the same subnet as the router,
but it still doesn't seem to work. I right-clicked on the Wireless
Network Connection and hit REPAIR, but it returns an error saying the
it failed when attempted to recieve an IP address automatically!

I've never seen this before! It sees the signal, but doesn't want to
play nice with DHCP and static IP addresses won't work! I know DHCP
is installed properly.

The wireless computer is running XP Home with SP1. All the drivers
are installed correctly. Please help!

joker

Upgrade to SP2.

James Lee wrote:
> I have the Microsoft MN-710 USB 2.0 Wireless Network Adapter attached
> to a computer and the wireless router is in another room with a second
> computer attached to it. So far the one that is attached to the
> router works great. I also have an iPaq H4155 with built in wireless
> 802.11b built-in and it, too, connects just fine. I have configured
> the router to run DHCP and so far the wired computer and the palmtop
> both recieve the autmatic IP fine.
>
> The wireless computer with the MN-710 is detecting a signal, but its
> not getting an IP address from the router. At first I thought it was
> the McAfeee Personal Firewall, so I disabled it. It still didn't
> work. I even tried static IP within the same subnet as the router,
> but it still doesn't seem to work. I right-clicked on the Wireless
> Network Connection and hit REPAIR, but it returns an error saying the
> it failed when attempted to recieve an IP address automatically!
>
> I've never seen this before! It sees the signal, but doesn't want to
> play nice with DHCP and static IP addresses won't work! I know DHCP
> is installed properly.
>
> The wireless computer is running XP Home with SP1. All the drivers
> are installed correctly. Please help!

Do you have MAC filtering enabled on your wireless router?
If so, is the MN710's MAC address in the list of MAC addresses allowed to
associate with the wireless router?

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -