file and print sharing

August 31, 2005 7:47:32 PM

We have about 300 computers (Win XP SP2) with 'file and print sharing for
microsoft network' turned off. Does anyone know a way of turning this back
on though a script or GPO ?

With best regards, Achill. E-mail: achill@mail.ru

More about : file print sharing

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 7:47:33 PM

When you say turned off, do you mean that its not installed as a service, or its blocked by the firewall? If the latter, yes, it can be controlled via group policies.

Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Network, Network Connections, Windows Firewall.

Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
http://www.dougknox.com
--------------------------------
--------------------------------
Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

"Achill" <achill@mail.ru> wrote in message news:o i%23SpoirFHA.2072@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
> We have about 300 computers (Win XP SP2) with 'file and print sharing for
> microsoft network' turned off. Does anyone know a way of turning this back
> on though a script or GPO ?
>
> With best regards, Achill. E-mail: achill@mail.ru

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 7:47:34 PM

There's no way to install it via group policies. As far as I know, you'd have to go to, or remote into each machine and install it manually.

"Achill" <achill@mail.ru> wrote in message news:utczUOjrFHA.3476@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Hello, Doug!
> You wrote on Wed, 31 Aug 2005 09:11:24 -0400:
>
> DKM> When you say turned off, do you mean that its not installed as a
> service, or its blocked by the firewall? If the latter, yes, it can be
> controlled via group policies.
> DKM> Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Network, Network
> DKM> Connections, Windows Firewall.
>

> With best regards, Achill. E-mail: achill@mail.ru
>
> Its not installed as a service

August 31, 2005 10:10:09 PM

Achill wrote:

> We have about 300 computers (Win XP SP2) with 'file and print
> sharing for microsoft network' turned off. Does anyone know a
> way of turning this back on though a script or GPO ?

Hi,

You might get something to work with snetcfg.exe.

If you want to use Snetcfg.exe to _enable_ File & Print Sharing (F&PS
already installed, but the checkbox is not checked), you will have to
uninstall F&PS first, and then install again (using snetcfg.exe for
both tasks). This will make the checkbox checked.

I suggest you use a computer startup script (with a GPO) that runs as
part of the boot up process (before the user logs in). It runs under
the system context and has admin rights. You should let the script
create a registry marker that the script tests on so it does the job
only once for each computer, to avoid doing this at every computer
startup.

To be able to access files over the network from the computer startup
script, you could put the file(s) on a network share and grant read
access for the AD group "Domain Computers" to the share.

Alternatively, from the startup script, you could map a drive on
the fly, like this:

sDomainUser = "arp.corp\computer_fix"
sPswd = "something"

Set oNetwork = CreateObject("Wscript.Network")

oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive _
"Y:", "\\server\netlogon\some folder",, sDomainUser, sPswd

More about snetcfg.exe and F&PS here:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.scrip...

Also, it looks like you can combine parsing the output from
nbtstat.exe -n and checking the server service existence to obtain
current status:
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.scrip...

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
September 1, 2005 1:56:37 PM

Hello, Torgeir!
You wrote on Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:10:09 +0200:

??>> We have about 300 computers (Win XP SP2) with 'file and print
??>> sharing for microsoft network' turned off. Does anyone know a
??>> way of turning this back on though a script or GPO ?
??>>
TBM> Hi,

TBM> You might get something to work with snetcfg.exe.

TBM> If you want to use Snetcfg.exe to _enable_ File & Print Sharing (F&PS
TBM> already installed, but the checkbox is not checked), you will have to
TBM> uninstall F&PS first, and then install again (using snetcfg.exe for
TBM> both tasks). This will make the checkbox checked.

With best regards, Achill. E-mail: achill@mail.ru

is it possible with utillities Snetcfg.exe help to enable FPS at the
indicated network interface, as there could be the cases, when on the
computer two and more network cards are possible ?
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 2:21:01 PM

Achill wrote:

> Hello, Torgeir!
> You wrote on Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:10:09 +0200:
>
> ??>> We have about 300 computers (Win XP SP2) with 'file and print
> ??>> sharing for microsoft network' turned off. Does anyone know a
> ??>> way of turning this back on though a script or GPO ?
> ??>>
> TBM> Hi,
>
> TBM> You might get something to work with snetcfg.exe.
>
> TBM> If you want to use Snetcfg.exe to _enable_ File & Print Sharing (F&PS
> TBM> already installed, but the checkbox is not checked), you will have to
> TBM> uninstall F&PS first, and then install again (using snetcfg.exe for
> TBM> both tasks). This will make the checkbox checked.
>

> With best regards, Achill. E-mail: achill@mail.ru
>
> is it possible with utillities Snetcfg.exe help to enable FPS at the
> indicated network interface, as there could be the cases, when on the
> computer two and more network cards are possible ?

Hi,

No, you will not be able to specify what network interface to
enable it on.

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
July 9, 2009 3:49:51 PM

I don't buy this at all.

1) Obviously, "enabling" (or re-enabling) F&Ps is just, basically, a 'registry entry.' So, why is it not possible to just make a .reg to do this?

2) Why oh why would you not be able to 'specify the network interface' via a script?

Example:
1) Write a script to determine the precise registry entry that corresponds to the current, actively-connected NIC card.
2) Massage a proper registry entry to make that F&PS check-box "checked" for that NIC interface
3) Run the .REG file

Granted, you and the other poster did mention "snetcfg," but... is my example possible?
If so, how could this [easily] be accomplished?

My email is: computerz4u (at-[ y@h00 (d0t] K0m - <-- U can figure it out from there.
!