file and print sharing

We have about 300 computers (Win XP SP2) with 'file and print sharing for
microsoft network' turned off. Does anyone know a way of turning this back
on though a script or GPO ?

With best regards, Achill. E-mail: achill@mail.ru
6 answers Last reply
More about file print sharing

    When you say turned off, do you mean that its not installed as a service, or its blocked by the firewall? If the latter, yes, it can be controlled via group policies.

    Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Network, Network Connections, Windows Firewall.

    Win 95/98/Me/XP Tweaks and Fixes
    http://www.dougknox.com
    --------------------------------
    --------------------------------
    Unsolicited e-mail is not answered.

    "Achill" <achill@mail.ru> wrote in message news:Oi%23SpoirFHA.2072@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
    > We have about 300 computers (Win XP SP2) with 'file and print sharing for
    > microsoft network' turned off. Does anyone know a way of turning this back
    > on though a script or GPO ?
    >
    > With best regards, Achill. E-mail: achill@mail.ru

    There's no way to install it via group policies. As far as I know, you'd have to go to, or remote into each machine and install it manually.

    Achill wrote:

    > We have about 300 computers (Win XP SP2) with 'file and print
    > sharing for microsoft network' turned off. Does anyone know a
    > way of turning this back on though a script or GPO ?

    Hi,

    You might get something to work with snetcfg.exe.

    If you want to use Snetcfg.exe to _enable_ File & Print Sharing (F&PS
    already installed, but the checkbox is not checked), you will have to
    uninstall F&PS first, and then install again (using snetcfg.exe for
    both tasks). This will make the checkbox checked.

    I suggest you use a computer startup script (with a GPO) that runs as
    part of the boot up process (before the user logs in). It runs under
    the system context and has admin rights. You should let the script
    create a registry marker that the script tests on so it does the job
    only once for each computer, to avoid doing this at every computer
    startup.

    To be able to access files over the network from the computer startup
    script, you could put the file(s) on a network share and grant read
    access for the AD group "Domain Computers" to the share.

    Alternatively, from the startup script, you could map a drive on
    the fly, like this:

    sDomainUser = "arp.corp\computer_fix"
    sPswd = "something"

    Set oNetwork = CreateObject("Wscript.Network")

    oNetwork.MapNetworkDrive _
    "Y:", "\\server\netlogon\some folder",, sDomainUser, sPswd

    More about snetcfg.exe and F&PS here:
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.scripting.vbscript/msg/bc2ef5a6df39fdad?dmode=source

    Also, it looks like you can combine parsing the output from
    nbtstat.exe -n and checking the server service existence to obtain
    current status:
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.scripting.wsh/browse_frm/thread/ffa7598b02c200cd/a733b51d1673042e#a733b51d1673042e

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    Hello, Torgeir!
    You wrote on Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:10:09 +0200:

    ??>> We have about 300 computers (Win XP SP2) with 'file and print
    ??>> sharing for microsoft network' turned off. Does anyone know a
    ??>> way of turning this back on though a script or GPO ?
    ??>>
    TBM> Hi,

    TBM> You might get something to work with snetcfg.exe.

    TBM> If you want to use Snetcfg.exe to _enable_ File & Print Sharing (F&PS
    TBM> already installed, but the checkbox is not checked), you will have to
    TBM> uninstall F&PS first, and then install again (using snetcfg.exe for
    TBM> both tasks). This will make the checkbox checked.

    With best regards, Achill. E-mail: achill@mail.ru

    is it possible with utillities Snetcfg.exe help to enable FPS at the
    indicated network interface, as there could be the cases, when on the
    computer two and more network cards are possible ?

    Achill wrote:

    > Hello, Torgeir!
    > You wrote on Wed, 31 Aug 2005 18:10:09 +0200:
    >
    > ??>> We have about 300 computers (Win XP SP2) with 'file and print
    > ??>> sharing for microsoft network' turned off. Does anyone know a
    > ??>> way of turning this back on though a script or GPO ?
    > ??>>
    > TBM> Hi,
    >
    > TBM> You might get something to work with snetcfg.exe.
    >
    > TBM> If you want to use Snetcfg.exe to _enable_ File & Print Sharing (F&PS
    > TBM> already installed, but the checkbox is not checked), you will have to
    > TBM> uninstall F&PS first, and then install again (using snetcfg.exe for
    > TBM> both tasks). This will make the checkbox checked.
    >

    > With best regards, Achill. E-mail: achill@mail.ru
    >
    > is it possible with utillities Snetcfg.exe help to enable FPS at the
    > indicated network interface, as there could be the cases, when on the
    > computer two and more network cards are possible ?

    Hi,

    No, you will not be able to specify what network interface to
    enable it on.

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  6. I don't buy this at all.

    1) Obviously, "enabling" (or re-enabling) F&Ps is just, basically, a 'registry entry.' So, why is it not possible to just make a .reg to do this?

    2) Why oh why would you not be able to 'specify the network interface' via a script?

    Example:
    1) Write a script to determine the precise registry entry that corresponds to the current, actively-connected NIC card.
    2) Massage a proper registry entry to make that F&PS check-box "checked" for that NIC interface
    3) Run the .REG file

    Granted, you and the other poster did mention "snetcfg," but... is my example possible?
    If so, how could this [easily] be accomplished?

    My email is: computerz4u (at-[ y@h00 (d0t] K0m - <-- U can figure it out from there.

Computers Microsoft Windows XP