Accessing hard drive from DOS--windows inop

Mark G

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
Hi all, my computer was unable to access the restore feature hidden on the harddrive on a separate partition. I used the diskpart feature in windows dos prompt to make the restore partition active. Upon bootup, the Gateway restore program comes up automatically and it states it cannot run (memory error).

For now, I'd like to just put back the previous partition which was active, but I can't get into the DOS prompt. I made a DOS reboot disk in FAT32, but it doesn't give me access to my harddrive nor does it have the dispart program.

Any way to get DOS to work without windows and making this change?

Also, I was going to get a restore disk from Gateway to reload Windows. Would this work? Also, could I just get the Windows 8 upgrade and load that instead (which I was planning to do anyway). My data is backup up so overwriting the harddrive isn't an issue.

Thanx 8)

mark google hirem boot cd it a cd with lots of free tools. it bootable and has a mini xp that come on this disk. it help you test your hsrd drive to see if that the issue or if it your system ram. if your getting memory errors i would run memtest to check your ram.

Mark G

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012

Response: Thanks for the quick response--The computer will not boot up in Windows (continuous loop of boot then error). This program has a lot more than i need. Can I make a bootable disk from (bypassing windows)--e.g. DOS prompt with access to "diskpart" which is what i used to create this mess--thanx