Installing second OS on partitioned drive

August 31, 2005 9:50:36 AM

Hi, I have partitioned my HD to allow Win98 along with WinXP. Win XP is on C:
and all works fine, BUT I can't boot my 98SE cd to install it.

I set my bios to try all drives and it finds the CD, and goes to the point
where it asks if I want to boot the 98 CD (it does see it), then I get a
message OEMCD001 no drivers found.

Any thoughts out there?
--
PROINWV
Anonymous

How do I install Windows 98/Me after I've installed XP?
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"proinwv" wrote:

| Hi, I have partitioned my HD to allow Win98 along with WinXP. Win XP is on C:
| and all works fine, BUT I can't boot my 98SE cd to install it.
|
| I set my bios to try all drives and it finds the CD, and goes to the point
| where it asks if I want to boot the 98 CD (it does see it), then I get a
| message OEMCD001 no drivers found.
|
| Any thoughts out there?
| --
| PROINWV
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 1:43:49 PM

The 98SE cd is not bootable.
Do you have a floppy drive?
Is XP on a NTFS partition?
--
Ron Sommer

"proinwv" <proinwv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have partitioned my HD to allow Win98 along with WinXP. Win XP is on
> C:
> and all works fine, BUT I can't boot my 98SE cd to install it.
>
> I set my bios to try all drives and it finds the CD, and goes to the point
> where it asks if I want to boot the 98 CD (it does see it), then I get a
> message OEMCD001 no drivers found.
>
> Any thoughts out there?
> --
> PROINWV
Related resources
August 31, 2005 5:59:24 PM

"proinwv" <proinwv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I have partitioned my HD to allow Win98 along with WinXP. Win XP
> is on C: and all works fine, BUT I can't boot my 98SE cd to install
> it.
>
> I set my bios to try all drives and it finds the CD, and goes to the
> point where it asks if I want to boot the 98 CD (it does see it),
> then I get a message OEMCD001 no drivers found.
>
> Any thoughts out there?

You need to install Windows 98 first, followed by XP AFAIK......
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 10:43:58 PM

proinwv wrote:
> Hi, I have partitioned my HD to allow Win98 along with WinXP. Win XP is on C:
> and all works fine, BUT I can't boot my 98SE cd to install it.
>
> I set my bios to try all drives and it finds the CD, and goes to the point
> where it asks if I want to boot the 98 CD (it does see it), then I get a
> message OEMCD001 no drivers found.
>
> Any thoughts out there?

I don't recall there ever having been any bootable Win98 installation
CDs. You need to boot from the startup diskette that accompanies the CD.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
August 31, 2005 10:43:59 PM

That's wierd, I have a cd, a "windows 98 starts here"cd and of course the
book. The book does say to insert the startup cd, but i don't know where it
might be.

Is there anyway one can get those files and put them on a cd??
--
PROINWV

"Bruce Chambers" wrote:

> proinwv wrote:
> > Hi, I have partitioned my HD to allow Win98 along with WinXP. Win XP is on C:
> > and all works fine, BUT I can't boot my 98SE cd to install it.
> >
> > I set my bios to try all drives and it finds the CD, and goes to the point
> > where it asks if I want to boot the 98 CD (it does see it), then I get a
> > message OEMCD001 no drivers found.
> >
> > Any thoughts out there?
>

> I don't recall there ever having been any bootable Win98 installation
> CDs. You need to boot from the startup diskette that accompanies the CD.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 10:44:00 PM

ignore below i meant to say "startup disc (floppy)"-not cd.

anyway, can those files be downloaded from the MS site? then after install,
I can make my own disc.
--
PROINWV

"proinwv" wrote:

> That's wierd, I have a cd, a "windows 98 starts here"cd and of course the
> book. The book does say to insert the startup cd, but i don't know where it
> might be.
>
> Is there anyway one can get those files and put them on a cd??
> --
> PROINWV
>

> "Bruce Chambers" wrote:
>
> > proinwv wrote:
> > > Hi, I have partitioned my HD to allow Win98 along with WinXP. Win XP is on C:
> > > and all works fine, BUT I can't boot my 98SE cd to install it.
> > >
> > > I set my bios to try all drives and it finds the CD, and goes to the point
> > > where it asks if I want to boot the 98 CD (it does see it), then I get a
> > > message OEMCD001 no drivers found.
> > >
> > > Any thoughts out there?
> >

> > I don't recall there ever having been any bootable Win98 installation
> > CDs. You need to boot from the startup diskette that accompanies the CD.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Bruce Chambers
> >
> > Help us help you:
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> > both at once. - RAH

Anonymous
August 31, 2005 11:41:13 PM

AFAIK, only OEM CDS were bootable for W98.

--
A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
> proinwv wrote:
>> Hi, I have partitioned my HD to allow Win98 along with WinXP. Win XP is
>> on C: and all works fine, BUT I can't boot my 98SE cd to install it.
>> I set my bios to try all drives and it finds the CD, and goes to the
>> point where it asks if I want to boot the 98 CD (it does see it), then I
>> get a message OEMCD001 no drivers found.
>> Any thoughts out there?
> I don't recall there ever having been any bootable Win98 installation CDs.
> You need to boot from the startup diskette that accompanies the CD.
> --
> Bruce Chambers
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 12:48:28 AM

You need a Dos boot disk with a generic CD driver.

Put your Windows 98 cd in the CD drive.
If the Win 98 window opens, close it.
Open Windows Explorer, right click on the CD drive, Explore.
Go to CD drive:\tools\mtsutil\fat32ebd.
Read fat32ebd.txt.
--

> ignore below i meant to say "startup disc (floppy)"-not cd.
>
> anyway, can those files be downloaded from the MS site? then after
> install,
> I can make my own disc.
> --
> PROINWV
>

> "proinwv" wrote:
>
>> That's wierd, I have a cd, a "windows 98 starts here"cd and of course the
>> book. The book does say to insert the startup cd, but i don't know where
>> it
>> might be.
>>
>> Is there anyway one can get those files and put them on a cd??
>> --
>> PROINWV

>> > I don't recall there ever having been any bootable Win98 installation
>> > CDs. You need to boot from the startup diskette that accompanies the
>> > CD.
>> >

>> > --
>> >
>> > Bruce Chambers
>> >
>> > Help us help you:
>> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>> >
>> > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
>> > both at once. - RAH

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 9:57:50 AM

Ron

I tried that and the boot disk would not work properly.

I then got a boot disk online at Bootdisk.com and it worked to the extent
that it told me that if I had a 3rd party partition (I do, Partition Magic 8
and Boot Magic) that I needed to exit, reboot and read the instructions on
the screen. Apparently it could not see the partition I have for FAT32 to
accept my Win98.

I did as instructed, and no instructions, just a normal boot to WinXP.

I'm beginning to believe that this is impossible... Maybe I should set up a
second computer for 98...;-)
--
PROINWV

"Ron Sommer" wrote:

> You need a Dos boot disk with a generic CD driver.
>
> Put your Windows 98 cd in the CD drive.
> If the Win 98 window opens, close it.
> Open Windows Explorer, right click on the CD drive, Explore.
> Go to CD drive:\tools\mtsutil\fat32ebd.
> Read fat32ebd.txt.
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> "proinwv" <proinwv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > ignore below i meant to say "startup disc (floppy)"-not cd.
> >
> > anyway, can those files be downloaded from the MS site? then after
> > install,
> > I can make my own disc.
> > --
> > PROINWV
> >

> > "proinwv" wrote:
> >
> >> That's wierd, I have a cd, a "windows 98 starts here"cd and of course the
> >> book. The book does say to insert the startup cd, but i don't know where
> >> it
> >> might be.
> >>
> >> Is there anyway one can get those files and put them on a cd??
> >> --
> >> PROINWV

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 2:35:19 PM

Do you have an OEM Windows 98 "recovery CD", which is actually a drive image
of the Windows partition? Mine is like that and it is bootable, when I boot
from the CD it proceeds to wipe out the whole HD (including any partitions
on the disk) and install itself on the first (only) partition. Just a
warning - better check what kind of Windows 98 CD's you have before trying
to install.

> proinwv wrote:
>> Hi, I have partitioned my HD to allow Win98 along with WinXP. Win XP is
>> on C: and all works fine, BUT I can't boot my 98SE cd to install it.
>>
>> I set my bios to try all drives and it finds the CD, and goes to the
>> point where it asks if I want to boot the 98 CD (it does see it), then I
>> get a message OEMCD001 no drivers found.
>>
>> Any thoughts out there?
>

> I don't recall there ever having been any bootable Win98 installation CDs.
> You need to boot from the startup diskette that accompanies the CD.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH
Anonymous
September 1, 2005 3:42:27 PM

You should be able to put the boot files from the floppy on to the Fat32
partition.
Boot Magic should let you select the Fat32 partition as the boot partition.
--

> Ron
>
> I tried that and the boot disk would not work properly.
>
> I then got a boot disk online at Bootdisk.com and it worked to the extent
> that it told me that if I had a 3rd party partition (I do, Partition Magic
> 8
> and Boot Magic) that I needed to exit, reboot and read the instructions on
> the screen. Apparently it could not see the partition I have for FAT32 to
> accept my Win98.
>
> I did as instructed, and no instructions, just a normal boot to WinXP.
>
> I'm beginning to believe that this is impossible... Maybe I should set up
> second computer for 98...;-)
> --
> PROINWV
>

> "Ron Sommer" wrote:
>
>> You need a Dos boot disk with a generic CD driver.
>>
>> Put your Windows 98 cd in the CD drive.
>> If the Win 98 window opens, close it.
>> Open Windows Explorer, right click on the CD drive, Explore.
>> Go to CD drive:\tools\mtsutil\fat32ebd.
>> Read fat32ebd.txt.
>> --
>> Ron Sommer
>>
>> "proinwv" <proinwv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > ignore below i meant to say "startup disc (floppy)"-not cd.
>> >
>> > anyway, can those files be downloaded from the MS site? then after
>> > install,
>> > I can make my own disc.
>> > --
>> > PROINWV

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 5:41:03 PM

Ron,
If I understand correctly, copy the boot files to the FAT32 partition but
then how do I get Win98 installed ??

When I boot off of the floppy, the Win98 instructions don't recognize the
partition and tell me that if I had a 3rd party partition (I do, Partition
Magic
8 and Boot Magic) that I need to exit, reboot and read the instructions on
the screen which don't exist.

Boot Magic does offer me both partitions when the computer is booted
normally. Of course the FAT32 is empty.

????--
PROINWV

"Ron Sommer" wrote:

> You should be able to put the boot files from the floppy on to the Fat32
> partition.
> Boot Magic should let you select the Fat32 partition as the boot partition.
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> "proinwv" <proinwv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ron
> >
> > I tried that and the boot disk would not work properly.
> >
> > I then got a boot disk online at Bootdisk.com and it worked to the extent
> > that it told me that if I had a 3rd party partition (I do, Partition Magic
> > 8
> > and Boot Magic) that I needed to exit, reboot and read the instructions on
> > the screen. Apparently it could not see the partition I have for FAT32 to
> > accept my Win98.
> >
> > I did as instructed, and no instructions, just a normal boot to WinXP.
> >
> > I'm beginning to believe that this is impossible... Maybe I should set up
> > second computer for 98...;-)
> > --
> > PROINWV
> >

> > "Ron Sommer" wrote:
> >
> >> You need a Dos boot disk with a generic CD driver.
> >>
> >> Put your Windows 98 cd in the CD drive.
> >> If the Win 98 window opens, close it.
> >> Open Windows Explorer, right click on the CD drive, Explore.
> >> Go to CD drive:\tools\mtsutil\fat32ebd.
> >> Read fat32ebd.txt.
> >> --
> >> Ron Sommer
> >>
> >> "proinwv" <proinwv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 5:45:08 PM

My CD says, for distribution with a new pc only. I assume that that is an OEM.

I also have a "Windows Starts Here" cd and a boot diskette, and my
instruction manual which says to boot with the diskette, then insert the cd
and follow the instructions which leads me nowhere as it doesn't recognize my
partition, which is really there.
--
PROINWV

"NotMe" wrote:

> AFAIK, only OEM CDS were bootable for W98.
>
> --
> A Professional Amateur...If anyone knew it all, none of would be here!
> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
> > proinwv wrote:
> >> Hi, I have partitioned my HD to allow Win98 along with WinXP. Win XP is
> >> on C: and all works fine, BUT I can't boot my 98SE cd to install it.
> >> I set my bios to try all drives and it finds the CD, and goes to the
> >> point where it asks if I want to boot the 98 CD (it does see it), then I
> >> get a message OEMCD001 no drivers found.
> >> Any thoughts out there?
> > I don't recall there ever having been any bootable Win98 installation CDs.
> > You need to boot from the startup diskette that accompanies the CD.
> > --
> > Bruce Chambers
> > Help us help you:
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> > both at once. - RAH

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 9:46:02 PM

It's not a recovery cd. I'm not trying to boot the cd in C:\ which is my
WinXP. I want to load it to a newly partitioned drive.
--
PROINWV

"VikingMan" wrote:

> Do you have an OEM Windows 98 "recovery CD", which is actually a drive image
> of the Windows partition? Mine is like that and it is bootable, when I boot
> from the CD it proceeds to wipe out the whole HD (including any partitions
> on the disk) and install itself on the first (only) partition. Just a
> warning - better check what kind of Windows 98 CD's you have before trying
> to install.
>
> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@cable0ne.n3t> wrote in message
> > proinwv wrote:
> >> Hi, I have partitioned my HD to allow Win98 along with WinXP. Win XP is
> >> on C: and all works fine, BUT I can't boot my 98SE cd to install it.
> >>
> >> I set my bios to try all drives and it finds the CD, and goes to the
> >> point where it asks if I want to boot the 98 CD (it does see it), then I
> >> get a message OEMCD001 no drivers found.
> >>
> >> Any thoughts out there?
> >

> > I don't recall there ever having been any bootable Win98 installation CDs.
> > You need to boot from the startup diskette that accompanies the CD.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Bruce Chambers
> >
> > Help us help you:
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> > both at once. - RAH

Anonymous
September 1, 2005 10:05:31 PM

You should boot to a C: prompt.
Change to the CD drive (it will probably be D:)  and run setup.exe.

Have you looked into uninstalling Boot Magic?
Does Boot Magic support have instructions?
--

> Ron,
> If I understand correctly, copy the boot files to the FAT32 partition but
> then how do I get Win98 installed ??
>
> When I boot off of the floppy, the Win98 instructions don't recognize the
> partition and tell me that if I had a 3rd party partition (I do, Partition
> Magic
> 8 and Boot Magic) that I need to exit, reboot and read the instructions on
> the screen which don't exist.
>
> Boot Magic does offer me both partitions when the computer is booted
> normally. Of course the FAT32 is empty.
>
> ????--
> PROINWV
>

> "Ron Sommer" wrote:
>
>> You should be able to put the boot files from the floppy on to the Fat32
>> partition.
>> Boot Magic should let you select the Fat32 partition as the boot
>> partition.
>> --
>> Ron Sommer
>>
>> "proinwv" <proinwv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ron
>> >
>> > I tried that and the boot disk would not work properly.
>> >
>> > I then got a boot disk online at Bootdisk.com and it worked to the
>> > extent
>> > that it told me that if I had a 3rd party partition (I do, Partition
>> > Magic
>> > 8
>> > and Boot Magic) that I needed to exit, reboot and read the instructions
>> > on
>> > the screen. Apparently it could not see the partition I have for FAT32
>> > accept my Win98.
>> >
>> > I did as instructed, and no instructions, just a normal boot to WinXP.
>> >
>> > I'm beginning to believe that this is impossible... Maybe I should set
>> > up
>> > second computer for 98...;-)
>> > --
>> > PROINWV

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 12:41:08 PM

Ummh I replied to this yesterday, and it didn't post. Anyway, I booted and it
goes to A: and I can change to C: but I cannot change to D: or E: (my cd
drives).

I could uninstall boot magic but I don't know why this would help. It
shouldn't be in effect until I boot to an OS.

I am in contact with Symantec, but no help at this time.

Anyway, any ideas?

I do appreciate the time you and the others have given to my issue.

PROINWV

"Ron Sommer" wrote:

> You should boot to a C: prompt.
> Change to the CD drive (it will probably be D:)  and run setup.exe.
>
> Have you looked into uninstalling Boot Magic?
> Does Boot Magic support have instructions?
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> "proinwv" <proinwv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ron,
> > If I understand correctly, copy the boot files to the FAT32 partition but
> > then how do I get Win98 installed ??
> >
> > When I boot off of the floppy, the Win98 instructions don't recognize the
> > partition and tell me that if I had a 3rd party partition (I do, Partition
> > Magic
> > 8 and Boot Magic) that I need to exit, reboot and read the instructions on
> > the screen which don't exist.
> >
> > Boot Magic does offer me both partitions when the computer is booted
> > normally. Of course the FAT32 is empty.
> >
> > ????--
> > PROINWV
> >

> > "Ron Sommer" wrote:
> >
> >> You should be able to put the boot files from the floppy on to the Fat32
> >> partition.
> >> Boot Magic should let you select the Fat32 partition as the boot
> >> partition.
> >> --
> >> Ron Sommer
> >>
> >> "proinwv" <proinwv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 2, 2005 9:25:33 PM

Boot Magic starts first to allow you to choose which partition to boot.

Did you use the Fat32ebd?
--

> Ummh I replied to this yesterday, and it didn't post. Anyway, I booted and
> it
> goes to A: and I can change to C: but I cannot change to D: or E: (my cd
> drives).
>
> I could uninstall boot magic but I don't know why this would help. It
> shouldn't be in effect until I boot to an OS.
>
> I am in contact with Symantec, but no help at this time.
>
> Anyway, any ideas?
>
> I do appreciate the time you and the others have given to my issue.
>
> PROINWV
>

> "Ron Sommer" wrote:
>
>> You should boot to a C: prompt.
>> Change to the CD drive (it will probably be D:)  and run setup.exe.
>>
>> Have you looked into uninstalling Boot Magic?
>> Does Boot Magic support have instructions?
>> --
>> Ron Sommer
>>
>> "proinwv" <proinwv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ron,
>> > If I understand correctly, copy the boot files to the FAT32 partition
>> > but
>> > then how do I get Win98 installed ??
>> >
>> > When I boot off of the floppy, the Win98 instructions don't recognize
>> > the
>> > partition and tell me that if I had a 3rd party partition (I do,
>> > Partition
>> > Magic
>> > 8 and Boot Magic) that I need to exit, reboot and read the instructions
>> > on
>> > the screen which don't exist.
>> >
>> > Boot Magic does offer me both partitions when the computer is booted
>> > normally. Of course the FAT32 is empty.
>> >
>> > ????--
>> > PROINWV

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 2:12:01 PM

yes is used Fat32ebd.

I believe that Boot Magic is functioning.

When I boot to my 98 boot disk, to install, and direct it to go to a cd, it
cannot find the cd drives (i have 2). At the beginning of the boot disk it
says no OEMCD001 drives found.

I believe that this is the problem.

I assume that I SHOULD NOT try to run setup.exe on the 98cd thru XP as it
would then install over my C: XP OS. Correct?
--
PROINWV

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 4:30:53 PM

That is not correct.
I will have to add more reply later.
--

> yes is used Fat32ebd.
>
> I believe that Boot Magic is functioning.
>
> When I boot to my 98 boot disk, to install, and direct it to go to a cd,
> it
> cannot find the cd drives (i have 2). At the beginning of the boot disk it
> says no OEMCD001 drives found.
>
> I believe that this is the problem.
>
> I assume that I SHOULD NOT try to run setup.exe on the 98cd thru XP as it
> would then install over my C: XP OS. Correct?
> --
> PROINWV
>

> "Ron Sommer" wrote:
>
>> Boot Magic starts first to allow you to choose which partition to boot.
>>
>> Did you use the Fat32ebd?
>> --
>> Ron Sommer
>>
>> "proinwv" <proinwv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ummh I replied to this yesterday, and it didn't post. Anyway, I booted
>> > and
>> > it
>> > goes to A: and I can change to C: but I cannot change to D: or E: (my
>> > cd
>> > drives).
>> >
>> > I could uninstall boot magic but I don't know why this would help. It
>> > shouldn't be in effect until I boot to an OS.
>> >
>> > I am in contact with Symantec, but no help at this time.
>> >
>> > Anyway, any ideas?
>> >
>> > I do appreciate the time you and the others have given to my issue.
>> >
>> > PROINWV

Anonymous
September 3, 2005 9:17:02 PM

I called the local company that built my computer and their tech told me that
I could not install win98 as a second OS with XP already on it. I would have
to remove XP, install 98 as the first OS and then XP.

If this is so, then I am not going to go forward, as I am not willing to put
myself thru reloading all...

Are you in agreement with the tech's comment?
--
PROINWV

"Ron Sommer" wrote:

> That is not correct.
> I will have to add more reply later.
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> "proinwv" <proinwv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > yes is used Fat32ebd.
> >
> > I believe that Boot Magic is functioning.
> >
> > When I boot to my 98 boot disk, to install, and direct it to go to a cd,
> > it
> > cannot find the cd drives (i have 2). At the beginning of the boot disk it
> > says no OEMCD001 drives found.
> >
> > I believe that this is the problem.
> >
> > I assume that I SHOULD NOT try to run setup.exe on the 98cd thru XP as it
> > would then install over my C: XP OS. Correct?
> > --
> > PROINWV
> >

> > "Ron Sommer" wrote:
> >
> >> Boot Magic starts first to allow you to choose which partition to boot.
> >>
> >> Did you use the Fat32ebd?
> >> --
> >> Ron Sommer
> >>
> >> "proinwv" <proinwv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

September 4, 2005 6:35:40 AM

Yes. 98 has to be loaded first.

Alias

"proinwv" <proinwv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote

>I called the local company that built my computer and their tech told me
>that
> I could not install win98 as a second OS with XP already on it. I would
> have
> to remove XP, install 98 as the first OS and then XP.
>
> If this is so, then I am not going to go forward, as I am not willing to
> put
> myself thru reloading all...
>
> Are you in agreement with the tech's comment?
> --
> PROINWV
>

> "Ron Sommer" wrote:
>
>> That is not correct.
>> I will have to add more reply later.
>> --
>> Ron Sommer
>>
>> "proinwv" <proinwv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > yes is used Fat32ebd.
>> >
>> > I believe that Boot Magic is functioning.
>> >
>> > When I boot to my 98 boot disk, to install, and direct it to go to a
>> > cd,
>> > it
>> > cannot find the cd drives (i have 2). At the beginning of the boot disk
>> > it
>> > says no OEMCD001 drives found.
>> >
>> > I believe that this is the problem.
>> >
>> > I assume that I SHOULD NOT try to run setup.exe on the 98cd thru XP as
>> > it
>> > would then install over my C: XP OS. Correct?
>> > --
>> > PROINWV

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 6:35:41 AM

Well *^&! it. I am not ready to go into a masochistic mode, especially this
wonderful weather weekend in the mountain state, WV.

Ron, I really appreciate the time that you spent with me on this. Maybe I'll
sell my computer, get out my slide rule, buy 100 yellow #2 pencils, a ream of
yellow paper, and retrogress.

And Boot Magic people, if you're reading this--get your act together and put
this in the instructions.

Have a good weekend.
--
PROINWV

"Alias" wrote:

> Yes. 98 has to be loaded first.
>
> Alias
>
> "proinwv" <proinwv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
>
> >I called the local company that built my computer and their tech told me
> >that
> > I could not install win98 as a second OS with XP already on it. I would
> > have
> > to remove XP, install 98 as the first OS and then XP.
> >
> > If this is so, then I am not going to go forward, as I am not willing to
> > put
> > myself thru reloading all...
> >
> > Are you in agreement with the tech's comment?
> > --
> > PROINWV
> >

> > "Ron Sommer" wrote:
> >
> >> That is not correct.
> >> I will have to add more reply later.
> >> --
> >> Ron Sommer
> >>
> >> "proinwv" <proinwv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 4, 2005 6:35:42 AM

Did you tell your tech that you where using Boot Magic?
That would have changed his answer.

Here are directions on using Boot Magic to dual boot.
http://www.maxpc.co.uk/tips/default.asp?pagetypeid=2&ar...
--

!