Cactus Canyon - $13K with over 3days left

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

This just goes to show that people are nuts!

Mark

"hAbO" <hAbO_REM0Ve..TH1s@habos-arcade.com> wrote in message
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6195125297
>
> Damn!
>
> Not my auction but I've been watching. I hope this is a fun pin to play.
> Anyone have or played one?
>

> Mike
> www.habos-arcade.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

do you think it's real... he has the id's kept hidden so it's really hard to
tell if someone is shilling...

you always have to wonder when they hide the id's... like someone is going
to CARE if someone else buys a freaking pin-ball game...

"hAbO" <hAbO_REM0Ve..TH1s@habos-arcade.com> wrote in message
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6195125297
>
> Damn!
>
> Not my auction but I've been watching. I hope this is a fun pin to play.
> Anyone have or played one?
>

> Mike
> www.habos-arcade.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

ahhhh... it was cross posted... didn't recognize him from rgvac...

"Cayle George" <caylegeorge@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I don't think there is anything tricky happening here - read the other
> thread with almost 70 posts to see that the seller is a stand up guy.

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

User Id kept private is always a red flag.

The fact that there was an HUO one listed and relisted for months with no
bids recently at $8,000 might also be a red flag.

It's a decent game, to me, but it shouldn't even be worth 1/4 of that price
either. Yikes.

JWC

http://www.arcade2084.com

ldnayman wrote:
> I am curious about the cost of boat anchors and freeway dividers. They
> can't really be that cheap. I think if you bought a game like SF2 and
> used it for a boat anchor, you'd probably save money. I don't know that
> it would do a great job though.

I think any transaction involving a SF2 is going to end as a loss. :)

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

I just can't figure out why he would change the ROMS and clear the audits
instead of just giving the new owner the updated ROMS and letting them
decide if they wanted to update them. With such a high priced game some of
the eccentric collectors might want to keep the audits as they were. -Mike
"Dave Ellis" <ellis_1701@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Holy price drop!
>
> Since this morning, it dropped down from $13,700 to $8433.33. Somebody
> pulled out of the bidding big time!
>
> -Dave Ellis
> http://www.daveclassicarcade.com
>
> hAbO wrote:
> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6195125297
> >
> > Damn!
> >
> > Not my auction but I've been watching. I hope this is a fun pin to
play.
> > Anyone have or played one?
> >

> > Mike
> > www.habos-arcade.com

Andy

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Yes, I have one and I love it. People will complain about the rules being
too shallow but it is a fun game and has great sound bytes. ...not to
mention very collectible!

Andy

"hAbO" <hAbO_REM0Ve..TH1s@habos-arcade.com> wrote in message
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6195125297
>
> Damn!
>
> Not my auction but I've been watching. I hope this is a fun pin to play.
> Anyone have or played one?
>

> Mike
> www.habos-arcade.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

well.. we can rule out #2... if the pin is truely that rare (I know nothing
about pins) then it's unlikely someone will try that.

#1 is a maybe, certainly there are scam artests out there... however, if
you've got $13K to chunk down on a pinball machine, I would hope that you
have sufficient intelligence to be able to avoid most of those scams.

maybe I've just seen potential shilling to often, but I just worry when I
see hidden bidders, you just don't know that YOU'RE not being scammed...

e-bay could really have done it one better by simply putting the feedback
rating of each of the bidders in the list even when it's hidden (albeit in a
non clickable link). That would at least give people some little bit of
confidence.

note: Again I know nothing about pins... the lister may (and from other
comments) be a stand-up guy, I'm simply expressing my opinions about hidding
bidders.

steve

<seymour-shabow@excite.com> wrote in message
> couple reasons you'd hide the bidder's ID:
>
> 1) protect your bidders from scammers..... scammers watch auctions and
> then send a "second chance offer" to the 2nd bidder and scam them outta
> money.
>
> 2) protect your bidders from competition - a person has the same object
> you have for sale, why should your auction get the 2nd seller a lead?
> (especially if they're trying to avoid auction fees, etc.)

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Agreed!!

When I get my newly purchased IJ I will have a lot less than 13K in my 4
pins(IJ, NGG, MB, Shadow) and my MAME cabinet!!

FYI -- I have no issues with the private auction either as I can guarantee
you that if it wasn't there would be some SERIOUS scam emails handed out
right away!

Greg

"The Prowler" <jvespoint@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Some people have more money than brains. You can have a lot of really
> nice games for 13K.

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Can you NOT READ!!! I said and let me say it LOUD!!!!

I WIL HAVE A LOT LESS THAN 13K IN MY 4 PINS AND MAME CABINET.

Notice how I said A LOT LESS!!! Not that I have 13K in those 4 pins/MAME
Cabinet.

So before you go calling me nuts maybe you should read more carefully next
time.

Thanks

Greg

"ldnayman" <ldnayman@aol.com> wrote in message
> Well then I say YOU are completely nuts. THRTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS in 4
> pins and a video game!? Ridiculous. I have less than 10k in TWENTY
> pinballs. Someone who has no interest in pins, or say is struggling to
> pay the rent, might just think that is ridiculous too.
>

> If somebody wants to spend 13K on one pin I didn't really see the
> difference. Each their own.
>
> Greg S wrote:
> > Agreed!!
> >
> > When I get my newly purchased IJ I will have a lot less than 13K in my 4
> > pins(IJ, NGG, MB, Shadow) and my MAME cabinet!!
> >
> > FYI -- I have no issues with the private auction either as I can
guarantee
> > you that if it wasn't there would be some SERIOUS scam emails handed out
> > right away!
> >
> > Greg
> >
> > "The Prowler" <jvespoint@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Some people have more money than brains. You can have a lot of really
> > > nice games for 13K.

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

NP, I understand. I didn't say what I said to pump myself up about what I
have just simply stating what others have said as well ... that you can sure
get a lot more for you 13K than this one pin.

BUT if someone wants it for that and has the cash than who cares ... to each
his own.

> Greg I didn't call YOU nuts I called US nuts. And that if someone wants
> to spend 13K on ONE pin it shouldn't make you feel better about
> spending 13K or even A LOT LESS on 4 of them.
>
> Greg S wrote:
> > Can you NOT READ!!! I said and let me say it LOUD!!!!
> >
> > I WIL HAVE A LOT LESS THAN 13K IN MY 4 PINS AND MAME CABINET.
> >
> > Notice how I said A LOT LESS!!! Not that I have 13K in those 4
pins/MAME
> > Cabinet.
> >
> > So before you go calling me nuts maybe you should read more carefully
next
> > time.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Greg
> >
> > "ldnayman" <ldnayman@aol.com> wrote in message
> > > Well then I say YOU are completely nuts. THRTEEN THOUSAND DOLLARS in 4
> > > pins and a video game!? Ridiculous. I have less than 10k in TWENTY
> > > pinballs. Someone who has no interest in pins, or say is struggling to
> > > pay the rent, might just think that is ridiculous too.
> > >

> > > If somebody wants to spend 13K on one pin I didn't really see the
> > > difference. Each their own.

> > guarantee

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

There's a huge difference between bottom-feeder collector/restorers and high
end pin buyers that want the best and are willing to pay for it. I can't
see myself paying outrageously high prices in buying though I've sold some
at prices that reached my "too high to not sell" level but that doesn't mean
I can't understand the mentality of those who want to buy that level and are
willing to pay it because they can. I can appreciate budget buying but I
don't understand why high-end mentality can't be understood even if it's not
the same as yours. I can also appreciate the concept of hiding bidders IDs
for a high-end auction, if I were willing to spend those high $$ it wouldn't
be something that I'd like to advertise, even under an eBay ID. I don't
know the seller but based on his posts and referalls, I take his description
at face value and have to say that pin IS worth what it sells for. It's not
the attitude of a section of RGP that sets the value, it's the open market,
so if the pin sells for over 13K then that IS what it's worth, to at least a
few bidders. Money talks and BS walks.

GRY

"Josh A." <josh489@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Greg S wrote:
>
>> you can sure
>> get a lot more for you 13K than this one pin.
>> BUT if someone wants it for that and has the cash than who cares ... to
>> each
>> his own.
>
> My pockets hung with empty blues,
> Silent heels were standin' on my growin' pains,
> My bid was not too bad, two bits was all I had,
> And the stable boy just handed me the reins.
> Well the gallery went wild, and the auctioneer half smiled,
> "What we don't sell, we shoot or give away,
> 'Cause the more you pay, the more it's worth."
>
> - Don McLean

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

NP DD&B its all good.

Greg

"deafdumb&blindboy" <ilduchi1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> And BTW, who linked this stupid post to the rgvac, etc? And sorry,
> Greg, I realize you were also referring to Idnayman. Let's both beat on
> him mercilessly.

Andy

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

All they have in California are fruits and nuts. :)

Andy

> Agreed. And looking at what I've personally bought, does it appear that
> I am fixated on DMD pins? Obviously not. I could care less. The only
> one I've got a serious desire for is TZ. If I could find one for less
> than $2K that wasn't ready for the trash pile, I'd hock my Omega to get
> it if necessary. And you're right Greg- Right place, right time - You
> don't want to end up like Dr. John - Right Place, Wrong Time. Or even
> wrong place right time for that matter.
> And as far as Vizilla - I don't really care for what you have to say
> about California. At least it's public schools gave me the skills to
> write, spell, and punctuate. Considering I live near San Diego, I'm not
> about to drive to Oregon to save $200. It would cost me $300 in gas to
> do that. Cost savings? Negative. Time? 24-28 hours of round trip
> driving, in my truck, an 89 Toyota 2WD- not the most comfortable
> long-haul vehicle known to man, but certainly able to pull it off. And
> when people want to knock Californians, I've got this to say - Most of
> the people in California today came from everywhere else in the nation,
> usually with military backgrounds, and decided to stay. They are the
> rejects from the rest of the country. The rest of the people here came
> from Mexico. Then there are a few like myself, a third generation
> native, who remember what this state was like before it was overrun by
> all the people. One of the most beautiful, wonderful places in the USA.
> Uncrowded beaches with great surf, beautiful state parks, deserts,
> mountains, and giant redwoods, culture, arts, fashion, intelligentsia,
> manufacturing, aerospace, opportunities, and on and on. Nowadays, you
> can't drive anywhere, the people are boorish, downtrodden opprtunists,
> who lack education, have no family values, and are ciphers to the
> system. But this is no place to rant about social ills. I'm just
> stating my case for the greatness of this state. And for the education
> it gave me. Because if you're going to write in a public forum, then be
> prepared to be judged by how you write. The pen truly is mightier than
> the sword.

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

"Dave Ellis" <ellis_1701@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Holy price drop!
>
> Since this morning, it dropped down from $13,700 to $8433.33. Somebody
> pulled out of the bidding big time!
>
> -Dave Ellis
> http://www.daveclassicarcade.com

The bidder claimed that he entered the wrong amount.

Rob

> hAbO wrote:
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6195125297
>>
>> Damn!
>>
>> Not my auction but I've been watching. I hope this is a fun pin to
>> play. Anyone have or played one?
>>

>> Mike
>> www.habos-arcade.com

Andy

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

True, but not hard to get it back to 43 if the buyer was worried about it.

Andy

"Mike & Tiff" <mtlew@(no spam)charter.net> wrote in message
>I just can't figure out why he would change the ROMS and clear the audits
> instead of just giving the new owner the updated ROMS and letting them
> decide if they wanted to update them. With such a high priced game some
> of
> the eccentric collectors might want to keep the audits as they
> ere. -Mike
> "Dave Ellis" <ellis_1701@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Holy price drop!
>>
>> Since this morning, it dropped down from $13,700 to $8433.33. Somebody
>> pulled out of the bidding big time!
>>
>> -Dave Ellis
>> http://www.daveclassicarcade.com
>>
>> hAbO wrote:
>> > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6195125297
>> >
>> > Damn!
>> >
>> > Not my auction but I've been watching. I hope this is a fun pin to
> play.
>> > Anyone have or played one?
>> >

>> > Mike
>> > www.habos-arcade.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

My point is that with 43 plays on the game being something that adds value
to the game. Now changing the ROMS might have caused the value to drop some
to an eccentric collector. The proof (said loosely) is lost. Your point is
taken that I could put 43 games on that machine in a day, uh hum a bad
pinball playing day :)

On 2005-07-25, deafdumb&blindboy <ilduchi1@earthlink.net> wrote:
> repairs that I can, I do all my own cosmetic restoration. And I've only
> been doing this since February 2005. That's when I bought my first pin.
> So just wait until I've got some time under my belt. I'm sure I'll find
> some more deals. All it takes is time.

I'd have to agree on two points. I've sunk major $$ into restoration hardware (ask Scot, ask Donnnie, ask ActionPin). I've also found that as I've made contacts with Local Vendors, that they are fairly happy to deal, especially if they know you have money in hand.

Heck, I got 13 machines for $3000 (10 of which were EM's) i was able to sell off most of them, leaving the last few machines costing me well under $200 each.

It also helps if they know you won't be bothering them as well (for repairs, etc)

Josh A. wrote:
> Brian Saunders wrote:
>

>>Ebay should change their policy to require another legal
>>bid after a retraction for "wrong amount entered".
>

> That won't work. Let's say someone bids $1,000 on the first day of the
> auction intending to bid only $100. He then checks back on the sixth
> day of the auction and discovers his error, but by that time the bid is
> already up to $750. He can't retract his bid and place one for a
> lesser amount without still bidding way more than he originally
> intended. eBay would have to disallow bid retractions entirely in
> order to prevent the abuse seen here, which I can't see it ever doing.

The solution is very simple.

A bidder can retract an (erroneous) bid *ONLY* if the seller agrees to
allow the retraction, otherwise it the bid stays.

We need to stop protecting the incompetent at the expense of those of us
that can look after ourselves.

--
Bret Pehrson
bret@classicade.com

Classicade
http://www.classicade.com

On Tue, 26 Jul, TheKorn@TheKorn.net wrote:
> Also ask him how he intends to pay. Maybe he intends to send you TWO
> cashier's checks, since his bid is so high! :))

Do you think he'd have the guts to try to get change from *both* checks?

--Donnie

On Tue, 26 Jul, Cayle George wrote:
> Yeah its no big deal, the auction price will jump at least %30 in the
> last 60 seconds

Not a chance.

--Donnie

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

actually, that particular example has an easy solution... rebuild the road
and add a bunch of turns in it...

Most US roads are constructed nice and straight... long, sleep inducing
highways... with correspondingly high accident rates.

Take Europe for example (and Germany in particular), their highways have
numerous turns in them, and consequently have a much lower incidence of
accidents caused by the driver falling asleep behind the wheel.

not that this has anything to do with e-bay... they can't really make it
that much twistier to deal with...

<TheKorn@TheKorn.net> wrote in message
> metallik wrote:
>> > Kind of like building an overpass at the most dangerous traffic
>> > intersection in the state. Pretty soon, the first intersection is
>> > safe, but the NEXT intersection is now the most dangerous.
>>
>> Hm, but if you were going to build an overpass, wouldn't it make sense
>> to start with the most dangerous intersection? I have no idea how this
>> applies to ebay, but there's a few intersections around here that could
>> sure use overpasses.. :)
>
> You're kind of missing the point! :) If you don't solve the root
> problem, then all you'll do is displace it someplace else.
>

> This particular example happened north of Chicago. I-94 and US-41 both
> share the same pavement, then on the north side of the city 94 hangs a
> left while 41 keeps going straight north. (In a strange twist, the
> roads meet up again close to the Wisconsin border.) For years, the
> first intersection after the split (lake-cook road) was the most
> dangerous intersection in Illinois...
>
> ...people would fall asleep at the wheel, and then not notice that they
> were plowing into stopped traffic. The most horrific accidents were
> involving trucks, of course, but regular cars did it as well. The
> state tried all sorts of things; strobe lights going off when the light
> was red, flashing signs 3000 ft. away from the intersection, even
> installed an unmanned radar emitter so that radar detectors would go
> off when approaching that intersection from the south. They all
> helped, but it was still the most dangerous intersection in Illinois.
>
> So one day, some jackass decided to spend a lot of pork and convert it
> to an overpass. $50M later, and guess what? Yup, the _next_
> intersection is now the most dangerous. Not surprisingly, the strobe
> lights have gone back up, the rader emitter was moved, and the signs
> repositioned.

Andy

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

Ok, Kirb, almost a nice suggestion. So they do tht and people will just
open a free checking account and open a new e_bay account and do all the bid
retractions on the new account. As long as people can circumvent all these
possibilities none of them will solve the problem.

Andy

"kirb" <kirbseepe@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >The solution is very simple.
>
>>A bidder can retract an (erroneous) bid *ONLY* if the seller agrees to
>>allow the retraction, otherwise it the bid stays.
>
> A better solution is to add a negative to the feedback score so you
> would risk screwing up your feedback by running around jacking up
> prices to view the reserve. They should track retracted bids as part of
> the feedback system.
>
> The seller should also be able to block people with a zero feedback
> from bidding on items (for another ebay fee, of course).
>
> Are people putting in a high bid to block others from bidding and then
> removing the bid later to score the item cheaper?
>
> Kirb

Andy

Archived from groups: rec.games.pinball,rec.games.video.arcade,rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,rec.games.video.arcade.marketplace (More info?)

No, Kirb, you win again. *My* point is that neither blocking bidders nor
making negative feedback a result of a retraction will solve the problem at
hand. Neither is better than the other. Just because I can't offer a
solution doesn't mean I can't contribute to the conversation.