Bad Service! Dell takes the cake!

I bought a Dell Inspiron 8200 1 year ago, two year extended warranty.
The fan is going out on it so I phoned to find out where to send it in
for repairs. I called tech support.

1st tech from India had me remove my hard drive, remove my cd rom, and
take off all the other removable plates from the back of my computer.
Never dreamed I would be required to do this to my own laptop!
Thought that's what a warranty was for!!! Had me run a cd check for
hardware failures and told me to call back after the test was
completed. No ticket #, no case #, just call back. Total time for
the cd diagnostic....3 hours. Total time on phone by now 1 1/2 hours.

The test showed everything was fine. I called back. Different tech
this time. 2nd tech from India had me, remove the hard drive, power
up and down, and could find nothing wrong. She told me that if the
computer started acting up again to email her. Oh yeah, this tech did
give me a case number and her email address at my request. I wasn't
going to go through this again!

Murphy's law, got off the phone and it acts up again. Decided to try
and speak to someone in the US so I phoned sales. Wrong again! This
time I got Asia. Tried again, Panama and again, India, and
again....Well, you get the picture. Finally reached a girl in Austin,
Texas so she said. I asked to speak with a manager. She told me that
she could not put me through to anyone higher up until she had walked
through the trouble shooting with me. I refused to take my computer
apart again. Finally after much persuasion, she agreed to transfer me
to someone higher up. Guess what! I got disconnected! Surprise! I
phoned back. India again. Please transfer me to the US. On hold for
over an hour...disconnected again.

Spent all day today-12:30 P.M. to 8:00 P.M. trying to find someone who
could tell me where to have my computer serviced. Still no luck.
I've emailed the 2nd tech. I've written a letter to Dell Headquarters
about how bad their service is.

I'll let you know how it turns out but from my experience today. If I
ever do find out where to get my computer fixed, I hope the service
technicians are better than the support ones!
44 answers Last reply
More about service dell takes cake

    "Lynna" <lynna_r@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I bought a Dell Inspiron 8200 1 year ago, two year extended warranty.
    > The fan is going out on it so I phoned to find out where to send it in
    > for repairs. I called tech support.

    Go to Dell's support page and use the email support process. They will send
    you the same script and you just send back the appropriate answers. Within
    2 or 3 email you will receive an email with the information you require.
    Total time should take about 24 hours with actual time being a few minutes
    of your time composing and reply to emails.

    Much simpler and much less frustrating.

    --

    Rob
    Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"

    I had a similar problem with a Dell in 1998 (not that I bear a grudge!) and
    spent all night pulling apart a new PC. I finally gave up at 3am and
    insisted the PC was a lemon and got a refund.

    I wrote a letter of complaint to Michael Dell on 4 May 1998 and still
    haven't had a response. I hope you do better!

    Cheers,
    Steve

    "Lynna" <lynna_r@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I bought a Dell Inspiron 8200 1 year ago, two year extended warranty.
    > The fan is going out on it so I phoned to find out where to send it in
    > for repairs. I called tech support.
    >
    > 1st tech from India had me remove my hard drive, remove my cd rom, and
    > take off all the other removable plates from the back of my computer.
    > Never dreamed I would be required to do this to my own laptop!
    > Thought that's what a warranty was for!!! Had me run a cd check for
    > hardware failures and told me to call back after the test was
    > completed. No ticket #, no case #, just call back. Total time for
    > the cd diagnostic....3 hours. Total time on phone by now 1 1/2 hours.
    >
    > The test showed everything was fine. I called back. Different tech
    > this time. 2nd tech from India had me, remove the hard drive, power
    > up and down, and could find nothing wrong. She told me that if the
    > computer started acting up again to email her. Oh yeah, this tech did
    > give me a case number and her email address at my request. I wasn't
    > going to go through this again!
    >
    > Murphy's law, got off the phone and it acts up again. Decided to try
    > and speak to someone in the US so I phoned sales. Wrong again! This
    > time I got Asia. Tried again, Panama and again, India, and
    > again....Well, you get the picture. Finally reached a girl in Austin,
    > Texas so she said. I asked to speak with a manager. She told me that
    > she could not put me through to anyone higher up until she had walked
    > through the trouble shooting with me. I refused to take my computer
    > apart again. Finally after much persuasion, she agreed to transfer me
    > to someone higher up. Guess what! I got disconnected! Surprise! I
    > phoned back. India again. Please transfer me to the US. On hold for
    > over an hour...disconnected again.
    >
    > Spent all day today-12:30 P.M. to 8:00 P.M. trying to find someone who
    > could tell me where to have my computer serviced. Still no luck.
    > I've emailed the 2nd tech. I've written a letter to Dell Headquarters
    > about how bad their service is.
    >
    > I'll let you know how it turns out but from my experience today. If I
    > ever do find out where to get my computer fixed, I hope the service
    > technicians are better than the support ones!

    Didn't you read the warranty agreement BEFORE you purchased the unit?????

    Hello????

    "Lynna" <lynna_r@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I bought a Dell Inspiron 8200 1 year ago, two year extended warranty.
    > The fan is going out on it so I phoned to find out where to send it in
    > for repairs. I called tech support.
    >
    > 1st tech from India had me remove my hard drive, remove my cd rom, and
    > take off all the other removable plates from the back of my computer.
    > Never dreamed I would be required to do this to my own laptop!
    > Thought that's what a warranty was for!!! Had me run a cd check for
    > hardware failures and told me to call back after the test was
    > completed. No ticket #, no case #, just call back. Total time for
    > the cd diagnostic....3 hours. Total time on phone by now 1 1/2 hours.
    >
    > The test showed everything was fine. I called back. Different tech
    > this time. 2nd tech from India had me, remove the hard drive, power
    > up and down, and could find nothing wrong. She told me that if the
    > computer started acting up again to email her. Oh yeah, this tech did
    > give me a case number and her email address at my request. I wasn't
    > going to go through this again!
    >
    > Murphy's law, got off the phone and it acts up again. Decided to try
    > and speak to someone in the US so I phoned sales. Wrong again! This
    > time I got Asia. Tried again, Panama and again, India, and
    > again....Well, you get the picture. Finally reached a girl in Austin,
    > Texas so she said. I asked to speak with a manager. She told me that
    > she could not put me through to anyone higher up until she had walked
    > through the trouble shooting with me. I refused to take my computer
    > apart again. Finally after much persuasion, she agreed to transfer me
    > to someone higher up. Guess what! I got disconnected! Surprise! I
    > phoned back. India again. Please transfer me to the US. On hold for
    > over an hour...disconnected again.
    >
    > Spent all day today-12:30 P.M. to 8:00 P.M. trying to find someone who
    > could tell me where to have my computer serviced. Still no luck.
    > I've emailed the 2nd tech. I've written a letter to Dell Headquarters
    > about how bad their service is.
    >
    > I'll let you know how it turns out but from my experience today. If I
    > ever do find out where to get my computer fixed, I hope the service
    > technicians are better than the support ones!

    read her post dell droid. even though she obviously didn't and most people
    don't she still went through dells torture and did it repeatedly and with no
    positive results. hours and hours wasted so far. hello???!!!

    "Rocket J. Squirrel" wrote:

    > Now that sounds like an objective opinion to me.

    My thoughts, exactly! <g>

    Larry

    so the squirrel brain and you think that dell service is what it was in the
    90s? nobody on the planet says it is except mindless dellbots. why do you
    attack a poster when even you know what he says is accurate? i guess it is
    to be expected from a poster with a squirrel brain but not you.

    Steve wrote:

    > I had a similar problem with a Dell in 1998 (not that I bear a grudge!) and
    > spent all night pulling apart a new PC. I finally gave up at 3am and
    > insisted the PC was a lemon and got a refund.
    >
    > I wrote a letter of complaint to Michael Dell on 4 May 1998 and still
    > haven't had a response. I hope you do better!

    I can only assume that your letter was just for shits-and-giggles.

    You didn't really expect a response from Michael Dell, did you?

    Larry

    > Steve wrote:
    > >
    > > I had a similar problem with a Dell in 1998 (not that I bear a grudge!)
    and
    > > spent all night pulling apart a new PC. I finally gave up at 3am and
    > > insisted the PC was a lemon and got a refund.
    > >
    > > I wrote a letter of complaint to Michael Dell on 4 May 1998 and still
    > > haven't had a response. I hope you do better!
    >
    > I can only assume that your letter was just for shits-and-giggles.
    >
    > You didn't really expect a response from Michael Dell, did you?
    >
    > Larry

    of course not! everybody knows michael dell lives in an isolated and
    controlled dreamworld surrounded by his dellbots repeating their mantra.
    dell is wonderful and perfect...we are the best...dell is superior...and far
    about the rest...

    MD is as clueless as many of his dellbots in this ng!

    PLONK

    "Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Gs2dnVrxZtEmjD_d4p2dnA@giganews.com>...
    > "Lynna" <lynna_r@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > I bought a Dell Inspiron 8200 1 year ago, two year extended warranty.
    > > The fan is going out on it so I phoned to find out where to send it in
    > > for repairs. I called tech support.
    > >

    > Go to Dell's support page and use the email support process. They will send
    > you the same script and you just send back the appropriate answers. Within
    > 2 or 3 email you will receive an email with the information you require.
    > Total time should take about 24 hours with actual time being a few minutes
    > of your time composing and reply to emails.
    >
    > Much simpler and much less frustrating.
    This is GREAT advice and certainly has been covered MANY times
    as the way to get support from dell for hardware problems.
    I've used it and it is easy. I found out about the email tech support
    route by using this group. Complaining about the "dell of the 90's" does
    not get a problem with your computer fixed. Following decent
    advice on how to deal with dell tech support now does.
    Best wished to all.
    Dave.

    Hmmm seems a lot of people who have replied to this post just won't accept
    that Dell can be at times " less than perfect" I know from bitter experience
    this can be the case. I purchased a top end inspiron around a year ago, when
    this system arrived the battery would not power the laptop at all, and the
    diagnostic lights on the battery pack flashed indicating it was faulty. Rang
    Dell and got told to remove the CD rom hard drive etc! I pointed out I was a
    tech and knew it was the battery pack but they insisted i go along with
    this! (I didn't and returned the system for a full refund).

    I am also familiar with being transferred through to the CUT OFF department
    etc. The process can at times be painful. Once the funds had come through
    for this system I reordered this time selecting a latitude C810, the order
    vanished off the tracking sytem, i called dell , they said we have a
    shortage of parts and your system will ship in around 4 weeks. next day when
    I was at work they had attempted to deliver. Rebooked the delivery and got a
    second DOA system. Returned this after much agro on the phones and requested
    a precision m60 this one works fine apart from a faulty right "mouse"
    button. I've decided to keep it as if i returned it again I'd probably get
    one much worse.

    To sum up the systems are ok if you get a working one but the tech procedure
    can be a pain. My experience was actually much much more convoluted than I
    describe above but i really cant be bothered typing all the "events"

    Jimbo

    Jimbo wrote:

    > Hmmm seems a lot of people who have replied to this post just won't accept
    > that Dell can be at times " less than perfect" I know from bitter experience
    > this can be the case.
    >
    > <snip>

    Personally, I don't see *anyone* defending Dell to the death. What the people,
    who have had good success with Dell, are tired of hearing is that Dell can do
    no right.

    Clearly, they've proven otherwise.

    Larry

    Fair enough after all I went on to buy a 3rd system from Dell, I just wish
    that they could make customer services a little less painful. I agree with
    hassle than trying to resolve an issue over the phone.

    Jimbo

    Jimbo wrote:

    > Fair enough after all I went on to buy a 3rd system from Dell, I just wish
    > that they could make customer services a little less painful. I agree with
    > hassle than trying to resolve an issue over the phone.

    Personally, I've had great luck on the phone. I think the greatest obstacle
    (and Dell's biggest problems) is their "outsourcing."

    In order to avoid it, I've had to purchase their "Gold Tech Support" plan.
    More money, but, for me, worth it.

    It's too bad that what used to be included in the purchase price, now costs
    extra!

    Larry

    "Jimbo" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
    > Fair enough after all I went on to buy a 3rd system from Dell, I just wish
    > that they could make customer services a little less painful. I agree with
    > hassle than trying to resolve an issue over the phone.
    >
    > Jimbo

    <snip>

    Endured a poorly handled transaction via CDW.com who punted the problem to
    Intuit who attempted to refund half of my purchase price (after meeting ALL
    of their listed RMA requirements for their '60 day satisfaction guarantee').

    Ended up getting relief via my card issuer, who honored and credited the
    entire transaction.

    Speaking of 60 days, it took much longer than that to resolve the problem
    since neither CDW or Intuit would step up to the plate. And, fwiw, Intuit
    'customer service' has apparently been outsourced to overseas call centers -
    or at least that was my experience.

    Things are tough all over...

    Stew

    Ah, it's our favorite Peter Pan character ("I won't grow up...") posting
    under a different name.

    Rocky

    "S.Lewis" wrote:

    > "Jimbo" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
    > > Fair enough after all I went on to buy a 3rd system from Dell, I just wish
    > > that they could make customer services a little less painful. I agree with
    > > hassle than trying to resolve an issue over the phone.
    > >
    > > Jimbo
    > >

    > <snip>
    >
    > Endured a poorly handled transaction via CDW.com who punted the problem to
    > Intuit who attempted to refund half of my purchase price (after meeting ALL
    > of their listed RMA requirements for their '60 day satisfaction guarantee').
    >
    > Ended up getting relief via my card issuer, who honored and credited the
    > entire transaction.
    >
    > Speaking of 60 days, it took much longer than that to resolve the problem
    > since neither CDW or Intuit would step up to the plate. And, fwiw, Intuit
    > 'customer service' has apparently been outsourced to overseas call centers -
    > or at least that was my experience.

    If you head over to the Quicken newsgroup, I think you'll find that Dell
    has nothing on Intuit when it comes to bad support.

    Apparently, Intuit's outsourcing consists of a "circular file" in India!

    Larry

    > "S.Lewis" wrote:
    >>
    >> "Jimbo" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
    >> > Fair enough after all I went on to buy a 3rd system from Dell, I just
    >> > wish
    >> > that they could make customer services a little less painful. I agree
    >> > with
    >> > hassle than trying to resolve an issue over the phone.
    >> >
    >> > Jimbo
    >> >

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >> Endured a poorly handled transaction via CDW.com who punted the problem
    >> Intuit who attempted to refund half of my purchase price (after meeting
    >> ALL
    >> of their listed RMA requirements for their '60 day satisfaction
    >> guarantee').
    >>
    >> Ended up getting relief via my card issuer, who honored and credited the
    >> entire transaction.
    >>
    >> Speaking of 60 days, it took much longer than that to resolve the problem
    >> since neither CDW or Intuit would step up to the plate. And, fwiw, Intuit
    >> 'customer service' has apparently been outsourced to overseas call
    >> centers -
    >> or at least that was my experience.
    >
    > If you head over to the Quicken newsgroup, I think you'll find that Dell
    > has nothing on Intuit when it comes to bad support.
    >
    > Apparently, Intuit's outsourcing consists of a "circular file" in India!
    >
    > Larry

    Larry,

    The poor CSR hadn't even heard of CDW.com who claims to be Intuit's largest
    domestic retail customer. And then I had to point him to www.ups.com with my
    tracking number to show him the item had been returned and signed for by
    Intuit.

    I then had to point out to him that I was in the USA, as the UPS site
    requests the country of location when you first enter their site, which sort
    of gave away the fact that he wasn't here.

    Even after viewing the track code reciept, the guy basically shrugged and
    said that he couldn't "do anything". I was sort of left begging the
    question, "well, what CAN you do?"

    In all fairness, my stateside rep with CDW was only marginally better, but
    only because he returned e-mail.

    Aaaarrrggh.

    Stew

    "S.Lewis" wrote:

    > "Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > > "S.Lewis" wrote:
    > >>
    > >> "Jimbo" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message

    > >> <snip>
    > >>
    > >> Endured a poorly handled transaction via CDW.com who punted the problem
    > >> Intuit who attempted to refund half of my purchase price (after meeting
    > >> ALL
    > >> of their listed RMA requirements for their '60 day satisfaction
    > >> guarantee').
    > >>
    > >> Ended up getting relief via my card issuer, who honored and credited the
    > >> entire transaction.
    > >>
    > >> Speaking of 60 days, it took much longer than that to resolve the problem
    > >> since neither CDW or Intuit would step up to the plate. And, fwiw, Intuit
    > >> 'customer service' has apparently been outsourced to overseas call
    > >> centers -
    > >> or at least that was my experience.
    > >
    > > If you head over to the Quicken newsgroup, I think you'll find that Dell
    > > has nothing on Intuit when it comes to bad support.
    > >
    > > Apparently, Intuit's outsourcing consists of a "circular file" in India!
    > >
    > > Larry
    >
    > Larry,
    >
    > The poor CSR hadn't even heard of CDW.com who claims to be Intuit's largest
    > domestic retail customer. And then I had to point him to www.ups.com with my
    > tracking number to show him the item had been returned and signed for by
    > Intuit.
    >
    > I then had to point out to him that I was in the USA, as the UPS site
    > requests the country of location when you first enter their site, which sort
    > of gave away the fact that he wasn't here.
    >
    > Even after viewing the track code reciept, the guy basically shrugged and
    > said that he couldn't "do anything". I was sort of left begging the
    > question, "well, what CAN you do?"
    >
    > In all fairness, my stateside rep with CDW was only marginally better, but
    > only because he returned e-mail.
    >
    > Aaaarrrggh.

    <g>

    Sorry. I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you.

    I think!

    Larry

    I have said it numerous times in this group and I'll say it again to
    you---------The old days where Dell Technical Support can be depended
    upon(to near 100%) are long gone. So--------if one can't do most of the
    service and trouble shooting yourself ----buy something else(after you make
    sure that you can get the support that you desire). Dell makes very good
    hardware, but their Tech Support is deep in the dumps. That is except for
    what is supplied to large corporate customers, which Dell recently returned
    to the U.S. and to previous quality levels.

    Guess I had better get ready for the flames. >g<

    Irene wrote:

    > I have said it numerous times in this group and I'll say it again to
    > you---------The old days where Dell Technical Support can be depended
    > upon(to near 100%) are long gone. So--------if one can't do most of the
    > service and trouble shooting yourself ----buy something else(after you make
    > sure that you can get the support that you desire). Dell makes very good
    > hardware, but their Tech Support is deep in the dumps. That is except for
    > what is supplied to large corporate customers, which Dell recently returned
    > to the U.S. and to previous quality levels.
    >
    > Guess I had better get ready for the flames. >g<

    Not a flame, just a disagreement...

    As a purchaser through Dell's Small Business Division, I opted for their
    Gold Tech Support program, which affords me the opportunity to speak to
    a US based tech, in a timely manner.

    The support's there, however it'll cost you!

    Larry

    If Dell has extended those improvements to ALL their small business site
    customers, then kudos to Dell, but as of the latest I have heard, some
    "qualify" and some don't---for the "Gold Tech Support", that is. One
    question---does "Gold Tech Support" give you the same level of technical
    support that all Dell customers used to get, or is it just a U.S. Tech and
    shorter hold times to get through----which is what we have heard from
    friends who have purchased it.

    Additionally, it most certainly was not offered to us when we looked into
    the purchase of our newest computer. As you well know, from my previous
    posts, that is why we did not purchase a 4TH Dell computer.

    So as far as I am concerned, the jury is still out.

    Irene wrote:

    > If Dell has extended those improvements to ALL their small business site
    > customers, then kudos to Dell, but as of the latest I have heard, some
    > "qualify" and some don't---for the "Gold Tech Support", that is. One
    > question---does "Gold Tech Support" give you the same level of technical
    > support that all Dell customers used to get, or is it just a U.S. Tech and
    > shorter hold times to get through----which is what we have heard from
    > friends who have purchased it.
    >
    > Additionally, it most certainly was not offered to us when we looked into
    > the purchase of our newest computer. As you well know, from my previous
    > posts, that is why we did not purchase a 4TH Dell computer.
    >
    > So as far as I am concerned, the jury is still out.

    My latest system was purchased in December of 2003, through the Small
    Business Division.

    At the time, Gold Tech Support was a free update to Dell's "Same Day
    4-Hour 5x10 Parts and Labor On-Site Response" warranty, which I opted
    for.

    When you say, "the same level of technical support that all Dell
    customers used to get, or is it just a U.S. Tech and shorter hold
    times to get through," aren't those the same thing?

    A short time after my purchase, I had the opportunity to call GTS,
    regarding a RAID configuration question. Less than 1 minute "on
    hold" and, clearly, a tech who was worlds above the usual "Make
    sure that your monitor is plugged in." techs. No script reading.

    In March of this year, I purchased a system for my brother-in-law
    and was offered a free Gold Tech Support upgrade from Dell's "Next
    Business Day Parts and Labor On-Site Response" warranty.

    Larry

    I'm glad to hear it. Maybe this is a "start" on the road back for Dell.

    Sorry, I forgot to reply to your question----" When you say, "the same level
    of technical support that all Dell
    customers used to get, or is it just a U.S. Tech and shorter hold times to
    get through," aren't those the same thing?"

    Not really. I remember "way back when"(>g<) it was rare to have to make
    multiple calls to get the proper help.
    As Dell began it's descent into where the support for "Home and Home
    Business" consumers PC's now stands, even U.S. based support began to
    deteriorate.

    I remember a series of calls to Dell Tech Support that resulted in little
    more than being brushed off. "I'll have to call you back"(no call back), "I
    will email you instructions"(no email back) , etc. It took around a half
    dozen calls to get an answer that should have been provided with the first
    call. Not all problems were a result of out sourcing. Some began well
    before the out sourcing took place(such as the example I just described).

    Just as not all of Dell's support problems were created by over seas out
    sourcing, I doubt that all will be corrected by moving some tech support
    back to the U.S.

    But, as I said, it may be a start on the road back.

    "Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > Irene wrote:
    > >
    > > If Dell has extended those improvements to ALL their small business site
    > > customers, then kudos to Dell, but as of the latest I have heard, some
    > > "qualify" and some don't---for the "Gold Tech Support", that is. One
    > > question---does "Gold Tech Support" give you the same level of
    technical
    > > support that all Dell customers used to get, or is it just a U.S. Tech
    and
    > > shorter hold times to get through----which is what we have heard from
    > > friends who have purchased it.
    > >
    > > Additionally, it most certainly was not offered to us when we looked
    into
    > > the purchase of our newest computer. As you well know, from my previous
    > > posts, that is why we did not purchase a 4TH Dell computer.
    > >
    > > So as far as I am concerned, the jury is still out.
    >
    > My latest system was purchased in December of 2003, through the Small
    > Business Division.
    >
    > At the time, Gold Tech Support was a free update to Dell's "Same Day
    > 4-Hour 5x10 Parts and Labor On-Site Response" warranty, which I opted
    > for.
    >
    > When you say, "the same level of technical support that all Dell
    > customers used to get, or is it just a U.S. Tech and shorter hold
    > times to get through," aren't those the same thing?
    >
    > A short time after my purchase, I had the opportunity to call GTS,
    > regarding a RAID configuration question. Less than 1 minute "on
    > hold" and, clearly, a tech who was worlds above the usual "Make
    > sure that your monitor is plugged in." techs. No script reading.
    >
    > In March of this year, I purchased a system for my brother-in-law
    > and was offered a free Gold Tech Support upgrade from Dell's "Next
    > Business Day Parts and Labor On-Site Response" warranty.
    >
    > Larry
  26. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    dell has clearly stated there is no road back. as soon as they think they
    can get away with it, the rest of tech support is heading overseas. the
    road to dell hell now goes through india! now there's a great dell tech
    support slogan!

    "Irene" <girlsrule@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > Business Division.
    > >
    > > At the time, Gold Tech Support was a free update to Dell's "Same Day
    > > 4-Hour 5x10 Parts and Labor On-Site Response" warranty, which I opted
    > > for.
    > >
    > > When you say, "the same level of technical support that all Dell
    > > customers used to get, or is it just a U.S. Tech and shorter hold
    > > times to get through," aren't those the same thing?
    > >
    > > A short time after my purchase, I had the opportunity to call GTS,
    > > regarding a RAID configuration question. Less than 1 minute "on
    > > hold" and, clearly, a tech who was worlds above the usual "Make
    > > sure that your monitor is plugged in." techs. No script reading.
    > >
    > > In March of this year, I purchased a system for my brother-in-law
    > > and was offered a free Gold Tech Support upgrade from Dell's "Next
    > > Business Day Parts and Labor On-Site Response" warranty.

  27. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    <yawn>...PLONK

    Rocky

> [...]
    > > > Business Division.
    > > >
    > > > At the time, Gold Tech Support was a free update to Dell's "Same Day
    > > > 4-Hour 5x10 Parts and Labor On-Site Response" warranty, which I opted
    > > > for.
    > > >
    > > > When you say, "the same level of technical support that all Dell
    > > > customers used to get, or is it just a U.S. Tech and shorter hold
    > > > times to get through," aren't those the same thing?
    > > >
    > > > A short time after my purchase, I had the opportunity to call GTS,
    > > > regarding a RAID configuration question. Less than 1 minute "on
    > > > hold" and, clearly, a tech who was worlds above the usual "Make
    > > > sure that your monitor is plugged in." techs. No script reading.
    > > >
    > > > In March of this year, I purchased a system for my brother-in-law
    > > > and was offered a free Gold Tech Support upgrade from Dell's "Next
    > > > Business Day Parts and Labor On-Site Response" warranty.

  28. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    DellBotHunter wrote:

    > dell has clearly stated there is no road back. as soon as they think they
    > can get away with it, the rest of tech support is heading overseas. the
    > road to dell hell now goes through india! now there's a great dell tech
    > support slogan!

    Clearly, you're truly convinced that Dell is still going downhill,
    or you're just some troll that's here to make trouble.

    "Dell has clearly stated there is no road back."

    When/where did this happen? Every recent report that I've seen/heard,
    indicates that Dell is aware of the problems with outsourcing, and
    is making an effort to bring some of the company's Tech Support back
    to the US.

    Larry
  29. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Lynna wrote:

    > I bought a Dell Inspiron 8200 1 year ago, two year extended warranty.
    > The fan is going out on it so I phoned to find out where to send it in
    > for repairs. I called tech support.
    >
    > 1st tech from India had me remove my hard drive, remove my cd rom, and
    > take off all the other removable plates from the back of my computer.
    > Never dreamed I would be required to do this to my own laptop!
    > Thought that's what a warranty was for!!! Had me run a cd check for
    > hardware failures and told me to call back after the test was
    > completed. No ticket #, no case #, just call back. Total time for
    > the cd diagnostic....3 hours. Total time on phone by now 1 1/2 hours.
    >
    > The test showed everything was fine. I called back. Different tech
    > this time. 2nd tech from India had me, remove the hard drive, power
    > up and down, and could find nothing wrong. She told me that if the
    > computer started acting up again to email her. Oh yeah, this tech did
    > give me a case number and her email address at my request. I wasn't
    > going to go through this again!
    >
    > Murphy's law, got off the phone and it acts up again. Decided to try
    > and speak to someone in the US so I phoned sales. Wrong again! This
    > time I got Asia. Tried again, Panama and again, India, and
    > again....Well, you get the picture. Finally reached a girl in Austin,
    > Texas so she said. I asked to speak with a manager. She told me that
    > she could not put me through to anyone higher up until she had walked
    > through the trouble shooting with me. I refused to take my computer
    > apart again. Finally after much persuasion, she agreed to transfer me
    > to someone higher up. Guess what! I got disconnected! Surprise! I
    > phoned back. India again. Please transfer me to the US. On hold for
    > over an hour...disconnected again.
    >
    > Spent all day today-12:30 P.M. to 8:00 P.M. trying to find someone who
    > could tell me where to have my computer serviced. Still no luck.
    > I've emailed the 2nd tech. I've written a letter to Dell Headquarters
    > about how bad their service is.
    >
    > I'll let you know how it turns out but from my experience today. If I
    > ever do find out where to get my computer fixed, I hope the service
    > technicians are better than the support ones!

    Everyone is that bad now. Example: I called Time warner about extreme
    slowdowns with my road runner connection in Feb. Had to go through testing
    with a pc outside of my router several times before they agreed that there
    was a problem. Tech comes out and finds no problem on the lines and the
    speed was decent so he left. I kept calling back every time it would get
    slow only to walk through unplugging my router and plugging in a pc and
    having them check all the settings of that pc then transferring me to lever
    3 which was closed or never answered the phone. Fast forward to today,
    they have replaced my modem 4 times as well as the splitter and cable, it
    is so slow I can't even view a web page, I have to try multiple times to
    send and receive messages such as this. We have been told that since my
    connection works eventually that there is no problem. We have been told
    that their connection is for entertainment purposes only, we have been told
    we would be called back, we have been told someone would be out the next
    day only be told that all their tech are booked and they can't come out
    until the next day. I was told they have no on call people who can come
    out to make me happy and then was told by the on call guy that they finally
    called that he would put us on the on call support list. I have been told
    that techs would come out and stay until it worked, etc,etc. I still can't
    pull a web page without refreshing 10 times after each two minute timeout
    period. Think about waiting 10-15 minutes just to get google to come up.
    I'm still waiting from them after the guy yesterday was supposed to have
    someone else fix them problem this morning.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Eugene" <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > that their connection is for entertainment purposes only, we have been
    told
    > we would be called back, we have been told someone would be out the next
    > day only be told that all their tech are booked and they can't come out
    > until the next day. I was told they have no on call people who can come
    > out to make me happy and then was told by the on call guy that they
    finally
    > called that he would put us on the on call support list. I have been told
    > that techs would come out and stay until it worked, etc,etc. I still
    can't
    > pull a web page without refreshing 10 times after each two minute timeout
    > period. Think about waiting 10-15 minutes just to get google to come up.
    > I'm still waiting from them after the guy yesterday was supposed to have
    > someone else fix them problem this morning.

    Forget them. Post here and you're likely to get better advice. Include as
    much info about hardware, etc.

    What does this site say about your speed?
    http://www.dslreports.com/stest
  31. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    DellBotHunter wrote:

    > "Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > > DellBotHunter wrote:
    > > >
    > > > dell has clearly stated there is no road back. as soon as they think
    > they
    > > > can get away with it, the rest of tech support is heading overseas. the
    > > > road to dell hell now goes through india! now there's a great dell tech
    > > > support slogan!
    > >
    > > Clearly, you're truly convinced that Dell is still going downhill,
    > > or you're just some troll that's here to make trouble.
    > >
    > > "Dell has clearly stated there is no road back."
    > >
    > > When/where did this happen? Every recent report that I've seen/heard,
    > > indicates that Dell is aware of the problems with outsourcing, and
    > > is making an effort to bring some of the company's Tech Support back
    > > to the US.
    > >
    > > Larry
    >
    > they moved back here for the business people TEMPORARILY until they can work
    > out the problems they were having. dells own VPs stated it in some of the
    > articles posted in here. go back and read some of the past posts of web
    > articles.

    Honestly, I don't recall any of those posts. Care to provide a link?

    Larry
  32. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > DellBotHunter wrote:
    > >
    > > "Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message

    > > they
    the

    > > > Clearly, you're truly convinced that Dell is still going downhill,
    > > > or you're just some troll that's here to make trouble.
    > > >
    > > > "Dell has clearly stated there is no road back."
    > > >
    > > > When/where did this happen? Every recent report that I've seen/heard,
    > > > indicates that Dell is aware of the problems with outsourcing, and
    > > > is making an effort to bring some of the company's Tech Support back
    > > > to the US.
    > > >
    > > > Larry
    > >
    > > they moved back here for the business people TEMPORARILY until they can
    work
    > > out the problems they were having. dells own VPs stated it in some of
    the
    > > articles posted in here. go back and read some of the past posts of web
    > > articles.
    >
    > Honestly, I don't recall any of those posts. Care to provide a link?
    >
    > Larry

    A quick Google shows:

    http://news.com.com/2100-1001_3-5182611.html

    http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/409825.cms

    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=31101
  33. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    DellBotHunter wrote:

    > "Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > > DellBotHunter wrote:
    > > >
    > > > "Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message

    > think
    > > > they
    > the
    > tech

    > > > they moved back here for the business people TEMPORARILY until they can
    > work
    > > > out the problems they were having. dells own VPs stated it in some of
    > the
    > > > articles posted in here. go back and read some of the past posts of web
    > > > articles.
    > >
    > > Honestly, I don't recall any of those posts. Care to provide a link?
    > >
    > > Larry
    >
    > A quick Google shows:
    >
    > http://news.com.com/2100-1001_3-5182611.html
    >
    > http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/409825.cms
    >
    > http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=31101

    At no time did I find any reference to, or implication that, "they moved back
    here for the business people TEMPORARILY until they can work out the problems
    they were having."

    All I got was that they recognized that the pendulum swung too far in the other
    direction and adjustments were necessary.

    Larry
  34. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > DellBotHunter wrote:
    > >
    > > "Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message

    > > think
    > > the
    > > tech

    > > work
    > > the
    > > >
    > > > Honestly, I don't recall any of those posts. Care to provide a link?
    > > >
    > > > Larry
    > >
    > > A quick Google shows:
    > >
    > > http://news.com.com/2100-1001_3-5182611.html
    > >
    > > http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/409825.cms
    > >
    > > http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=31101
    >
    > At no time did I find any reference to, or implication that, "they moved
    back
    > here for the business people TEMPORARILY until they can work out the
    problems
    > they were having."
    >
    > All I got was that they recognized that the pendulum swung too far in the
    other
    > direction and adjustments were necessary.
    >
    > Larry

    the link from the ng was stale. but this statement from the first link is
    pretty clear. "all shoring" says it all. the things that got the business
    customers up in arms were things that were going to be fixed and then guess
    what.

    "Mott did not rule out future expansion in India and said Dell has a policy
    of "all shoring"--spreading jobs throughout Dell's global reach--wherever
    the right skills are to meet the needs of its global business."
    "We certainly learned a lot of things, and we'll be smarter about our growth
    in newly developed areas," he said.
  35. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    DellBotHunter wrote:

    > <snip>
    >
    > the link from the ng was stale. but this statement from the first link is
    > pretty clear. "all shoring" says it all. the things that got the business
    > customers up in arms were things that were going to be fixed and then guess
    > what.
    >
    > "Mott did not rule out future expansion in India and said Dell has a policy
    > of "all shoring"--spreading jobs throughout Dell's global reach--wherever
    > the right skills are to meet the needs of its global business."
    > "We certainly learned a lot of things, and we'll be smarter about our growth
    > in newly developed areas," he said.

    "Did not rule out" is no way means "we're planning on."

    I think you're (inaccurately) reading between the lines.

    To me, "we'll be smarter about our growth in newly developed areas" means
    they recognized that they screwed up and will be a bit more cautious before
    making future changes.

    Larry
  36. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > DellBotHunter wrote:
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > >
    > > the link from the ng was stale. but this statement from the first link
    is
    > > pretty clear. "all shoring" says it all. the things that got the
    business
    > > customers up in arms were things that were going to be fixed and then
    guess
    > > what.
    > >
    > > "Mott did not rule out future expansion in India and said Dell has a
    policy
    > > of "all shoring"--spreading jobs throughout Dell's global
    reach--wherever
    > > the right skills are to meet the needs of its global business."
    > > "We certainly learned a lot of things, and we'll be smarter about our
    growth
    > > in newly developed areas," he said.
    >
    > "Did not rule out" is no way means "we're planning on."
    >
    > I think you're (inaccurately) reading between the lines.
    >
    > To me, "we'll be smarter about our growth in newly developed areas" means
    > they recognized that they screwed up and will be a bit more cautious
    before
    > making future changes.
    >
    > Larry

    found it, see *news flash* post on 11/22/2003 by WSZsr. no reading between
    the lines necessary.

    By Amy Schatz

    AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

    Saturday, November 22, 2003
    ..
    ..
    ..
    Dell executives left open the possibility that tech support for corporate
    customers could be shifted overseas again, if technical expertise and
    language skills improve there.

    "I don't think we're ruling that out," said Jon Weisblatt, a Dell spokesman.

    ..
    ..
    ..
  37. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    DellBotHunter wrote:

    > "Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
    > > DellBotHunter wrote:
    > > >
    > > > <snip>
    > > >
    > > > the link from the ng was stale. but this statement from the first link
    > is
    > > > pretty clear. "all shoring" says it all. the things that got the
    > business
    > > > customers up in arms were things that were going to be fixed and then
    > guess
    > > > what.
    > > >
    > > > "Mott did not rule out future expansion in India and said Dell has a
    > policy
    > > > of "all shoring"--spreading jobs throughout Dell's global
    > reach--wherever
    > > > the right skills are to meet the needs of its global business."
    > > > "We certainly learned a lot of things, and we'll be smarter about our
    > growth
    > > > in newly developed areas," he said.
    > >
    > > "Did not rule out" is no way means "we're planning on."
    > >
    > > I think you're (inaccurately) reading between the lines.
    > >
    > > To me, "we'll be smarter about our growth in newly developed areas" means
    > > they recognized that they screwed up and will be a bit more cautious
    > before
    > > making future changes.
    > >
    > > Larry
    >
    > found it, see *news flash* post on 11/22/2003 by WSZsr. no reading between
    > the lines necessary.
    >
    > By Amy Schatz
    >
    > AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
    >
    > Saturday, November 22, 2003
    > .
    > .
    > .
    > Dell executives left open the possibility that tech support for corporate
    > customers could be shifted overseas again, if technical expertise and
    > language skills improve there.
    >
    > "I don't think we're ruling that out," said Jon Weisblatt, a Dell spokesman.

    November marked the period where everyone realized that Dell's idea to
    outsource technical support was disastrous.

    I'd like to think that the past 6 months have provided Dell with enough
    feedback to drop the idea, or at least cut back on outsourcing, for the
    foreseeable future.

    At this point it's all speculation. Only time will tell.

    Larry
  38. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Can you provide a reference for that "statement" from Dell. I would very
    much like to read it, since it would effect future purchase decisions.

> [...]
    > > > Business Division.
    > > >
    > > > At the time, Gold Tech Support was a free update to Dell's "Same Day
    > > > 4-Hour 5x10 Parts and Labor On-Site Response" warranty, which I opted
    > > > for.
    > > >
    > > > When you say, "the same level of technical support that all Dell
    > > > customers used to get, or is it just a U.S. Tech and shorter hold
    > > > times to get through," aren't those the same thing?
    > > >
    > > > A short time after my purchase, I had the opportunity to call GTS,
    > > > regarding a RAID configuration question. Less than 1 minute "on
    > > > hold" and, clearly, a tech who was worlds above the usual "Make
    > > > sure that your monitor is plugged in." techs. No script reading.
    > > >
    > > > In March of this year, I purchased a system for my brother-in-law
    > > > and was offered a free Gold Tech Support upgrade from Dell's "Next
    > > > Business Day Parts and Labor On-Site Response" warranty.

  39. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 21:09:38 GMT, Lawrence Glasser
    <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote:

    >Irene wrote:
    >>
    >> I have said it numerous times in this group and I'll say it again to
    >> you---------The old days where Dell Technical Support can be depended
    >> upon(to near 100%) are long gone. So--------if one can't do most of the
    >> service and trouble shooting yourself ----buy something else(after you make
    >> sure that you can get the support that you desire). Dell makes very good
    >> hardware, but their Tech Support is deep in the dumps. That is except for
    >> what is supplied to large corporate customers, which Dell recently returned
    >> to the U.S. and to previous quality levels.
    >>
    >> Guess I had better get ready for the flames. >g<
    >
    >Not a flame, just a disagreement...
    >
    >As a purchaser through Dell's Small Business Division, I opted for their
    >Gold Tech Support program, which affords me the opportunity to speak to
    >a US based tech, in a timely manner.
    >
    >The support's there, however it'll cost you!
    >
    >Larry

    you can also call the gold support number with your non gold support
    system and they will transfer you to the appropriate support line. In
    my experience i have gotten through to someone (even if they are in
    india) faster than calling them directly.

    Just my 2 cents, but the gold support does seem to be better now..
  40. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    My experience with Dell Tech Support has been very good, especially compared with the tech support I never received after purchasing a Packard Bell in the fall of 1998, and in 12 mos, PBell packed up and left the US. After that I only had the choice of learning to fix it myself, or pay someone else to fix it.

    My wife purchased an Insp 1100 in Feb of this year. Since I had no experience fixing laptops, plus the inherent problems with a laptop, such as damage screen, its compactness, and my lack of knowledge of fixing it myself. We chose to get the 4yr accident/warranty coverage. This may be the reason we got the fast service, I don't know. Because when I called the tech support number, from the manual, it did not give a different #, if you had different coverage's.

    Last Monday, she spilled soda on keyboard at 2:00 pm (EDT), it would not reboot into Windows. After trying to reboot it myself, by first letting it dry out for a couple of hours, and failing. Around 6 pm (EDT), I called the # found in the laptop's manual, and after listening to Musac for 5 mins, I was connected, I believe, to an US based technician. I don't know if all the tech support for notebooks are US based, or that calling during normal weekday working hours, you will get tech support based in the US. Within 10 mins of explaining the problem, I was told that it would have to returned to be fixed. Given a repair # and confirming shipping info, I was instructed to call AirborneExpress/DHL the next (Tues) morning to arrange pickup. DHL picked it up Tuesday afternoon. It arrived in Tennessee Wednesday morning, fixed, and then shipped backed out that evening. It was back at my door by 3:17 pm (EDT) on Thursday afternoon. Funny thing, that Dell using a automatic calling system, called our home at 3:15 that same day, saying the laptop was fixed and being shipped back. If anything they should do something about their order/repair status system to make it more accurate. The motherboard and keyboard had to replaced. I don't know how much faster anyone could have fixed the problem.

    We also own a DIM4600, and I had a software issue one weekend after I purchased it, something that I caused, not Dell. Called Tech support, did get what I believe was someone from a call center in India, could not explain the problem correctly, and could not understand her. I chose to end the call, saying that I had a problem understanding her, and called back, and chatted with someone I could understand better, and got the problem resolved to my satisfaction. Before people start ranting, "They should employ people that speak clearer English", in the past, even calling my mother, I have had to hang-up and re-dial her #, because of a bad connection. I don't know if I was directed to the India call center because it was the weekend, or that the model of PC and warranty service that I have, uses these centers. If I called during normal weekday working hours, would my call still have been directed to India, or would it been handled by someone from TX or TN? I don't know, hopefully I won't need to find out anytime soon. Since I have the one-year warranty on the desktop, with less than 60 days left. Other than the motherboard, I feel confident in fixing the other components myself. And if necessary would have some one else repair it.

    Basically that is what you need to consider before purchasing a new PC, what you can afford in way of warranty coverage, and your skill level for repairing it yourself.

    --

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>
  41. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Has anyone else seen this? I work for a very large company and we
    exclusively purchase dell optiplex systems for our desktop pc's. Over
    the last year we purchased numerous sx270 models. For the last two
    months, we have started having issues where pc's would not boot, would
    not turn on, and other bizarre behaviour. Upon opening the cases on
    these systems, we noticed bulging and exploded capacitors. Everyone of
    these capacitors were the orange/black color ones.

    Dell has been very prompt in replacing these with refurb boards, which
    have a different manufacturers capacitors on them (green/black in
    color). They will not admit to any problems of this sort with the
    systems, but it seems they are aware of it just from the replacement
    boards we received. The systems in question are ones that were all
    purchased together, 500+ at one time. Did we get a bad batch or is
    this a widespread issue?
  42. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Wide spread and far beyond Dell
    Counterfeit capacitors are a significant cause for a few years.
    Google has a lot on it:
    http://www.google.ca/search?as_q=counterfeit+capacitor+motherboard&num=100&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&btnG=Google+Search&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&lr=&as_ft=i&as_filetype=&as_qdr=all&as_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

    --
    Jupiter Jones
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "NoneOfBusiness" <NoneOfBusiness@nob.net> wrote in message
    > Has anyone else seen this? I work for a very large company and we
    > exclusively purchase dell optiplex systems for our desktop pc's.
    Over
    > the last year we purchased numerous sx270 models. For the last two
    > months, we have started having issues where pc's would not boot,
    would
    > not turn on, and other bizarre behaviour. Upon opening the cases on
    > these systems, we noticed bulging and exploded capacitors. Everyone
    of
    > these capacitors were the orange/black color ones.
    >
    > Dell has been very prompt in replacing these with refurb boards,
    which
    > have a different manufacturers capacitors on them (green/black in
    > color). They will not admit to any problems of this sort with the
    > systems, but it seems they are aware of it just from the replacement
    > boards we received. The systems in question are ones that were all
    > purchased together, 500+ at one time. Did we get a bad batch or is
    > this a widespread issue?

  43. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    The 270 is too new to be part of the faulty-capacitor run that plagued the
    industry about 2-3 years ago.

    The SX270 has a bad reputation for overheating - that probably has more to
    do with the damaged caps than faulty caps do.

    This one seems to have model-specific cap issues

    http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Dell_OptiPlex_SX270/4852-3118_16-30469086.html

    "NoneOfBusiness" <NoneOfBusiness@nob.net> wrote in message
    > Has anyone else seen this? I work for a very large company and we
    > exclusively purchase dell optiplex systems for our desktop pc's. Over
    > the last year we purchased numerous sx270 models. For the last two
    > months, we have started having issues where pc's would not boot, would
    > not turn on, and other bizarre behaviour. Upon opening the cases on
    > these systems, we noticed bulging and exploded capacitors. Everyone of
    > these capacitors were the orange/black color ones.
    >
    > Dell has been very prompt in replacing these with refurb boards, which
    > have a different manufacturers capacitors on them (green/black in
    > color). They will not admit to any problems of this sort with the
    > systems, but it seems they are aware of it just from the replacement
    > boards we received. The systems in question are ones that were all
    > purchased together, 500+ at one time. Did we get a bad batch or is
    > this a widespread issue?

  44. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 20:26:44 GMT, "Edward J. Neth"
    <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote:

    >The 270 is too new to be part of the faulty-capacitor run that plagued the
    >industry about 2-3 years ago.
    >
    >The SX270 has a bad reputation for overheating - that probably has more to
    >do with the damaged caps than faulty caps do.
    >
    >This one seems to have model-specific cap issues
    >
    >http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/Dell_OptiPlex_SX270/4852-3118_16-30469086.html
    >

    >"NoneOfBusiness" <NoneOfBusiness@nob.net> wrote in message
    >> Has anyone else seen this? I work for a very large company and we
    >> exclusively purchase dell optiplex systems for our desktop pc's. Over
    >> the last year we purchased numerous sx270 models. For the last two
    >> months, we have started having issues where pc's would not boot, would
    >> not turn on, and other bizarre behaviour. Upon opening the cases on
    >> these systems, we noticed bulging and exploded capacitors. Everyone of
    >> these capacitors were the orange/black color ones.
    >>
    >> Dell has been very prompt in replacing these with refurb boards, which
    >> have a different manufacturers capacitors on them (green/black in
    >> color). They will not admit to any problems of this sort with the
    >> systems, but it seems they are aware of it just from the replacement
    >> boards we received. The systems in question are ones that were all
    >> purchased together, 500+ at one time. Did we get a bad batch or is
    >> this a widespread issue?

    I argued against purchasing these systems to no avail. Not for this
    reason though. Maybe now the powers that be can be convinced that if
    we need small, then get the GX in a small form factor instead.

Dell Computers