Bad Service! Dell takes the cake!

I bought a Dell Inspiron 8200 1 year ago, two year extended warranty.
The fan is going out on it so I phoned to find out where to send it in
for repairs. I called tech support.

1st tech from India had me remove my hard drive, remove my cd rom, and
take off all the other removable plates from the back of my computer.
Never dreamed I would be required to do this to my own laptop!
Thought that's what a warranty was for!!! Had me run a cd check for
hardware failures and told me to call back after the test was
completed. No ticket #, no case #, just call back. Total time for
the cd diagnostic....3 hours. Total time on phone by now 1 1/2 hours.

The test showed everything was fine. I called back. Different tech
this time. 2nd tech from India had me, remove the hard drive, power
up and down, and could find nothing wrong. She told me that if the
computer started acting up again to email her. Oh yeah, this tech did
give me a case number and her email address at my request. I wasn't
going to go through this again!

Murphy's law, got off the phone and it acts up again. Decided to try
and speak to someone in the US so I phoned sales. Wrong again! This
time I got Asia. Tried again, Panama and again, India, and
again....Well, you get the picture. Finally reached a girl in Austin,
Texas so she said. I asked to speak with a manager. She told me that
she could not put me through to anyone higher up until she had walked
through the trouble shooting with me. I refused to take my computer
apart again. Finally after much persuasion, she agreed to transfer me
to someone higher up. Guess what! I got disconnected! Surprise! I
phoned back. India again. Please transfer me to the US. On hold for
over an hour...disconnected again.

Spent all day today-12:30 P.M. to 8:00 P.M. trying to find someone who
could tell me where to have my computer serviced. Still no luck.
I've emailed the 2nd tech. I've written a letter to Dell Headquarters
about how bad their service is.

I'll let you know how it turns out but from my experience today. If I
ever do find out where to get my computer fixed, I hope the service
technicians are better than the support ones!

"Lynna" <lynna_r@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I bought a Dell Inspiron 8200 1 year ago, two year extended warranty.
> The fan is going out on it so I phoned to find out where to send it in
> for repairs. I called tech support.

Go to Dell's support page and use the email support process. They will send
you the same script and you just send back the appropriate answers. Within
2 or 3 email you will receive an email with the information you require.
Total time should take about 24 hours with actual time being a few minutes
of your time composing and reply to emails.

Much simpler and much less frustrating.

--

Rob
Q: "What did the redneck say right before he died?"

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I had a similar problem with a Dell in 1998 (not that I bear a grudge!) and
spent all night pulling apart a new PC. I finally gave up at 3am and
insisted the PC was a lemon and got a refund.

I wrote a letter of complaint to Michael Dell on 4 May 1998 and still
haven't had a response. I hope you do better!

Cheers,
Steve

"Lynna" <lynna_r@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I bought a Dell Inspiron 8200 1 year ago, two year extended warranty.
> The fan is going out on it so I phoned to find out where to send it in
> for repairs. I called tech support.
>
> 1st tech from India had me remove my hard drive, remove my cd rom, and
> take off all the other removable plates from the back of my computer.
> Never dreamed I would be required to do this to my own laptop!
> Thought that's what a warranty was for!!! Had me run a cd check for
> hardware failures and told me to call back after the test was
> completed. No ticket #, no case #, just call back. Total time for
> the cd diagnostic....3 hours. Total time on phone by now 1 1/2 hours.
>
> The test showed everything was fine. I called back. Different tech
> this time. 2nd tech from India had me, remove the hard drive, power
> up and down, and could find nothing wrong. She told me that if the
> computer started acting up again to email her. Oh yeah, this tech did
> give me a case number and her email address at my request. I wasn't
> going to go through this again!
>
> Murphy's law, got off the phone and it acts up again. Decided to try
> and speak to someone in the US so I phoned sales. Wrong again! This
> time I got Asia. Tried again, Panama and again, India, and
> again....Well, you get the picture. Finally reached a girl in Austin,
> Texas so she said. I asked to speak with a manager. She told me that
> she could not put me through to anyone higher up until she had walked
> through the trouble shooting with me. I refused to take my computer
> apart again. Finally after much persuasion, she agreed to transfer me
> to someone higher up. Guess what! I got disconnected! Surprise! I
> phoned back. India again. Please transfer me to the US. On hold for
> over an hour...disconnected again.
>
> Spent all day today-12:30 P.M. to 8:00 P.M. trying to find someone who
> could tell me where to have my computer serviced. Still no luck.
> I've emailed the 2nd tech. I've written a letter to Dell Headquarters
> about how bad their service is.
>
> I'll let you know how it turns out but from my experience today. If I
> ever do find out where to get my computer fixed, I hope the service
> technicians are better than the support ones!

Didn't you read the warranty agreement BEFORE you purchased the unit?????

Hello????

"Lynna" <lynna_r@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I bought a Dell Inspiron 8200 1 year ago, two year extended warranty.
> The fan is going out on it so I phoned to find out where to send it in
> for repairs. I called tech support.
>
> 1st tech from India had me remove my hard drive, remove my cd rom, and
> take off all the other removable plates from the back of my computer.
> Never dreamed I would be required to do this to my own laptop!
> Thought that's what a warranty was for!!! Had me run a cd check for
> hardware failures and told me to call back after the test was
> completed. No ticket #, no case #, just call back. Total time for
> the cd diagnostic....3 hours. Total time on phone by now 1 1/2 hours.
>
> The test showed everything was fine. I called back. Different tech
> this time. 2nd tech from India had me, remove the hard drive, power
> up and down, and could find nothing wrong. She told me that if the
> computer started acting up again to email her. Oh yeah, this tech did
> give me a case number and her email address at my request. I wasn't
> going to go through this again!
>
> Murphy's law, got off the phone and it acts up again. Decided to try
> and speak to someone in the US so I phoned sales. Wrong again! This
> time I got Asia. Tried again, Panama and again, India, and
> again....Well, you get the picture. Finally reached a girl in Austin,
> Texas so she said. I asked to speak with a manager. She told me that
> she could not put me through to anyone higher up until she had walked
> through the trouble shooting with me. I refused to take my computer
> apart again. Finally after much persuasion, she agreed to transfer me
> to someone higher up. Guess what! I got disconnected! Surprise! I
> phoned back. India again. Please transfer me to the US. On hold for
> over an hour...disconnected again.
>
> Spent all day today-12:30 P.M. to 8:00 P.M. trying to find someone who
> could tell me where to have my computer serviced. Still no luck.
> I've emailed the 2nd tech. I've written a letter to Dell Headquarters
> about how bad their service is.
>
> I'll let you know how it turns out but from my experience today. If I
> ever do find out where to get my computer fixed, I hope the service
> technicians are better than the support ones!

read her post dell droid. even though she obviously didn't and most people
don't she still went through dells torture and did it repeatedly and with no
positive results. hours and hours wasted so far. hello???!!!

"Rocket J. Squirrel" wrote:

> Now that sounds like an objective opinion to me.

My thoughts, exactly! <g>

Larry

so the squirrel brain and you think that dell service is what it was in the
90s? nobody on the planet says it is except mindless dellbots. why do you
attack a poster when even you know what he says is accurate? i guess it is
to be expected from a poster with a squirrel brain but not you.

Steve wrote:

> I had a similar problem with a Dell in 1998 (not that I bear a grudge!) and
> spent all night pulling apart a new PC. I finally gave up at 3am and
> insisted the PC was a lemon and got a refund.
>
> I wrote a letter of complaint to Michael Dell on 4 May 1998 and still
> haven't had a response. I hope you do better!

I can only assume that your letter was just for shits-and-giggles.

You didn't really expect a response from Michael Dell, did you?

Larry

> Steve wrote:
> >
> > I had a similar problem with a Dell in 1998 (not that I bear a grudge!)
and
> > spent all night pulling apart a new PC. I finally gave up at 3am and
> > insisted the PC was a lemon and got a refund.
> >
> > I wrote a letter of complaint to Michael Dell on 4 May 1998 and still
> > haven't had a response. I hope you do better!
>
> I can only assume that your letter was just for shits-and-giggles.
>
> You didn't really expect a response from Michael Dell, did you?
>
> Larry

of course not! everybody knows michael dell lives in an isolated and
controlled dreamworld surrounded by his dellbots repeating their mantra.
dell is wonderful and perfect...we are the best...dell is superior...and far
about the rest...

MD is as clueless as many of his dellbots in this ng!

PLONK
"DellBotHunter" <DellServiceBlows@TheTruthHurts.com> wrote in message

> "Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> > Steve wrote:
> > >
> > > I had a similar problem with a Dell in 1998 (not that I bear a
grudge!)
> and
> > > spent all night pulling apart a new PC. I finally gave up at 3am and
> > > insisted the PC was a lemon and got a refund.
> > >
> > > I wrote a letter of complaint to Michael Dell on 4 May 1998 and still
> > > haven't had a response. I hope you do better!
> >
> > I can only assume that your letter was just for shits-and-giggles.
> >
> > You didn't really expect a response from Michael Dell, did you?
> >
> > Larry
>
> of course not! everybody knows michael dell lives in an isolated and
> controlled dreamworld surrounded by his dellbots repeating their mantra.
> dell is wonderful and perfect...we are the best...dell is superior...and
far
> about the rest...
>
> MD is as clueless as many of his dellbots in this ng!

David

"Robert R Kircher, Jr." <rrkircher@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Gs2dnVrxZtEmjD_d4p2dnA@giganews.com>...
> "Lynna" <lynna_r@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I bought a Dell Inspiron 8200 1 year ago, two year extended warranty.
> > The fan is going out on it so I phoned to find out where to send it in
> > for repairs. I called tech support.
> >

> Go to Dell's support page and use the email support process. They will send
> you the same script and you just send back the appropriate answers. Within
> 2 or 3 email you will receive an email with the information you require.
> Total time should take about 24 hours with actual time being a few minutes
> of your time composing and reply to emails.
>
> Much simpler and much less frustrating.
This is GREAT advice and certainly has been covered MANY times
as the way to get support from dell for hardware problems.
I've used it and it is easy. I found out about the email tech support
route by using this group. Complaining about the "dell of the 90's" does
not get a problem with your computer fixed. Following decent
advice on how to deal with dell tech support now does.
Best wished to all.
Dave.

Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

Hmmm seems a lot of people who have replied to this post just won't accept
that Dell can be at times " less than perfect" I know from bitter experience
this can be the case. I purchased a top end inspiron around a year ago, when
this system arrived the battery would not power the laptop at all, and the
diagnostic lights on the battery pack flashed indicating it was faulty. Rang
Dell and got told to remove the CD rom hard drive etc! I pointed out I was a
tech and knew it was the battery pack but they insisted i go along with
this! (I didn't and returned the system for a full refund).

I am also familiar with being transferred through to the CUT OFF department
etc. The process can at times be painful. Once the funds had come through
for this system I reordered this time selecting a latitude C810, the order
vanished off the tracking sytem, i called dell , they said we have a
shortage of parts and your system will ship in around 4 weeks. next day when
I was at work they had attempted to deliver. Rebooked the delivery and got a
second DOA system. Returned this after much agro on the phones and requested
a precision m60 this one works fine apart from a faulty right "mouse"
button. I've decided to keep it as if i returned it again I'd probably get
one much worse.

To sum up the systems are ok if you get a working one but the tech procedure
can be a pain. My experience was actually much much more convoluted than I
describe above but i really cant be bothered typing all the "events"

Jimbo

Jimbo wrote:

> Hmmm seems a lot of people who have replied to this post just won't accept
> that Dell can be at times " less than perfect" I know from bitter experience
> this can be the case.
>
> <snip>

Personally, I don't see *anyone* defending Dell to the death. What the people,
who have had good success with Dell, are tired of hearing is that Dell can do
no right.

Clearly, they've proven otherwise.

Larry

Jimbo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2004

Fair enough after all I went on to buy a 3rd system from Dell, I just wish
that they could make customer services a little less painful. I agree with
hassle than trying to resolve an issue over the phone.

Jimbo

Jimbo wrote:

> Fair enough after all I went on to buy a 3rd system from Dell, I just wish
> that they could make customer services a little less painful. I agree with
> hassle than trying to resolve an issue over the phone.

Personally, I've had great luck on the phone. I think the greatest obstacle
(and Dell's biggest problems) is their "outsourcing."

In order to avoid it, I've had to purchase their "Gold Tech Support" plan.
More money, but, for me, worth it.

It's too bad that what used to be included in the purchase price, now costs
extra!

Larry

"Jimbo" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
> Fair enough after all I went on to buy a 3rd system from Dell, I just wish
> that they could make customer services a little less painful. I agree with
> hassle than trying to resolve an issue over the phone.
>
> Jimbo

<snip>

Endured a poorly handled transaction via CDW.com who punted the problem to
Intuit who attempted to refund half of my purchase price (after meeting ALL
of their listed RMA requirements for their '60 day satisfaction guarantee').

Ended up getting relief via my card issuer, who honored and credited the
entire transaction.

Speaking of 60 days, it took much longer than that to resolve the problem
since neither CDW or Intuit would step up to the plate. And, fwiw, Intuit
'customer service' has apparently been outsourced to overseas call centers -
or at least that was my experience.

Things are tough all over...

Stew

Ah, it's our favorite Peter Pan character ("I won't grow up...") posting
under a different name.

Rocky

"S.Lewis" wrote:

> "Jimbo" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
> > Fair enough after all I went on to buy a 3rd system from Dell, I just wish
> > that they could make customer services a little less painful. I agree with
> > hassle than trying to resolve an issue over the phone.
> >
> > Jimbo
> >

> <snip>
>
> Endured a poorly handled transaction via CDW.com who punted the problem to
> Intuit who attempted to refund half of my purchase price (after meeting ALL
> of their listed RMA requirements for their '60 day satisfaction guarantee').
>
> Ended up getting relief via my card issuer, who honored and credited the
> entire transaction.
>
> Speaking of 60 days, it took much longer than that to resolve the problem
> since neither CDW or Intuit would step up to the plate. And, fwiw, Intuit
> 'customer service' has apparently been outsourced to overseas call centers -
> or at least that was my experience.

If you head over to the Quicken newsgroup, I think you'll find that Dell
has nothing on Intuit when it comes to bad support.

Apparently, Intuit's outsourcing consists of a "circular file" in India!

Larry

> "S.Lewis" wrote:
>>
>> "Jimbo" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
>> > Fair enough after all I went on to buy a 3rd system from Dell, I just
>> > wish
>> > that they could make customer services a little less painful. I agree
>> > with
>> > hassle than trying to resolve an issue over the phone.
>> >
>> > Jimbo
>> >

>> <snip>
>>
>> Endured a poorly handled transaction via CDW.com who punted the problem
>> Intuit who attempted to refund half of my purchase price (after meeting
>> ALL
>> of their listed RMA requirements for their '60 day satisfaction
>> guarantee').
>>
>> Ended up getting relief via my card issuer, who honored and credited the
>> entire transaction.
>>
>> Speaking of 60 days, it took much longer than that to resolve the problem
>> since neither CDW or Intuit would step up to the plate. And, fwiw, Intuit
>> 'customer service' has apparently been outsourced to overseas call
>> centers -
>> or at least that was my experience.
>
> If you head over to the Quicken newsgroup, I think you'll find that Dell
> has nothing on Intuit when it comes to bad support.
>
> Apparently, Intuit's outsourcing consists of a "circular file" in India!
>
> Larry

Larry,

The poor CSR hadn't even heard of CDW.com who claims to be Intuit's largest
domestic retail customer. And then I had to point him to www.ups.com with my
tracking number to show him the item had been returned and signed for by
Intuit.

I then had to point out to him that I was in the USA, as the UPS site
requests the country of location when you first enter their site, which sort
of gave away the fact that he wasn't here.

Even after viewing the track code reciept, the guy basically shrugged and
said that he couldn't "do anything". I was sort of left begging the
question, "well, what CAN you do?"

In all fairness, my stateside rep with CDW was only marginally better, but
only because he returned e-mail.

Aaaarrrggh.

Stew

"S.Lewis" wrote:

> "Lawrence Glasser" <lglasser@spamcop.net> wrote in message
> > "S.Lewis" wrote:
> >>
> >> "Jimbo" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message

> >> <snip>
> >>
> >> Endured a poorly handled transaction via CDW.com who punted the problem
> >> Intuit who attempted to refund half of my purchase price (after meeting
> >> ALL
> >> of their listed RMA requirements for their '60 day satisfaction
> >> guarantee').
> >>
> >> Ended up getting relief via my card issuer, who honored and credited the
> >> entire transaction.
> >>
> >> Speaking of 60 days, it took much longer than that to resolve the problem
> >> since neither CDW or Intuit would step up to the plate. And, fwiw, Intuit
> >> 'customer service' has apparently been outsourced to overseas call
> >> centers -
> >> or at least that was my experience.
> >
> > If you head over to the Quicken newsgroup, I think you'll find that Dell
> > has nothing on Intuit when it comes to bad support.
> >
> > Apparently, Intuit's outsourcing consists of a "circular file" in India!
> >
> > Larry
>
> Larry,
>
> The poor CSR hadn't even heard of CDW.com who claims to be Intuit's largest
> domestic retail customer. And then I had to point him to www.ups.com with my
> tracking number to show him the item had been returned and signed for by
> Intuit.
>
> I then had to point out to him that I was in the USA, as the UPS site
> requests the country of location when you first enter their site, which sort
> of gave away the fact that he wasn't here.
>
> Even after viewing the track code reciept, the guy basically shrugged and
> said that he couldn't "do anything". I was sort of left begging the
> question, "well, what CAN you do?"
>
> In all fairness, my stateside rep with CDW was only marginally better, but
> only because he returned e-mail.
>
> Aaaarrrggh.

<g>

Sorry. I'm not laughing at you, I'm laughing with you.

I think!

Larry

I have said it numerous times in this group and I'll say it again to
you---------The old days where Dell Technical Support can be depended
upon(to near 100%) are long gone. So--------if one can't do most of the
service and trouble shooting yourself ----buy something else(after you make
sure that you can get the support that you desire). Dell makes very good
hardware, but their Tech Support is deep in the dumps. That is except for
what is supplied to large corporate customers, which Dell recently returned
to the U.S. and to previous quality levels.

Guess I had better get ready for the flames. >g<

Irene wrote:

> I have said it numerous times in this group and I'll say it again to
> you---------The old days where Dell Technical Support can be depended
> upon(to near 100%) are long gone. So--------if one can't do most of the
> service and trouble shooting yourself ----buy something else(after you make
> sure that you can get the support that you desire). Dell makes very good
> hardware, but their Tech Support is deep in the dumps. That is except for
> what is supplied to large corporate customers, which Dell recently returned
> to the U.S. and to previous quality levels.
>
> Guess I had better get ready for the flames. >g<

Not a flame, just a disagreement...

As a purchaser through Dell's Small Business Division, I opted for their
Gold Tech Support program, which affords me the opportunity to speak to
a US based tech, in a timely manner.

The support's there, however it'll cost you!

Larry

If Dell has extended those improvements to ALL their small business site
customers, then kudos to Dell, but as of the latest I have heard, some
"qualify" and some don't---for the "Gold Tech Support", that is. One
question---does "Gold Tech Support" give you the same level of technical
support that all Dell customers used to get, or is it just a U.S. Tech and
shorter hold times to get through----which is what we have heard from
friends who have purchased it.

Additionally, it most certainly was not offered to us when we looked into
the purchase of our newest computer. As you well know, from my previous
posts, that is why we did not purchase a 4TH Dell computer.

So as far as I am concerned, the jury is still out.

Irene wrote:

> If Dell has extended those improvements to ALL their small business site
> customers, then kudos to Dell, but as of the latest I have heard, some
> "qualify" and some don't---for the "Gold Tech Support", that is. One
> question---does "Gold Tech Support" give you the same level of technical
> support that all Dell customers used to get, or is it just a U.S. Tech and
> shorter hold times to get through----which is what we have heard from
> friends who have purchased it.
>
> Additionally, it most certainly was not offered to us when we looked into
> the purchase of our newest computer. As you well know, from my previous
> posts, that is why we did not purchase a 4TH Dell computer.
>
> So as far as I am concerned, the jury is still out.

My latest system was purchased in December of 2003, through the Small
Business Division.

At the time, Gold Tech Support was a free update to Dell's "Same Day
4-Hour 5x10 Parts and Labor On-Site Response" warranty, which I opted
for.

When you say, "the same level of technical support that all Dell
customers used to get, or is it just a U.S. Tech and shorter hold
times to get through," aren't those the same thing?

A short time after my purchase, I had the opportunity to call GTS,
regarding a RAID configuration question. Less than 1 minute "on
hold" and, clearly, a tech who was worlds above the usual "Make
sure that your monitor is plugged in." techs. No script reading.

In March of this year, I purchased a system for my brother-in-law
and was offered a free Gold Tech Support upgrade from Dell's "Next
Business Day Parts and Labor On-Site Response" warranty.

Larry

I'm glad to hear it. Maybe this is a "start" on the road back for Dell.