Cannot re-use retail Win7 Key

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
I'm trying to re-activate my retail copy of Win7 Home Premium but having some problems, due to my previous one dieing I've got a new motherboard which it doesnt seem to like as it's giving me an 'unable to activate product' message.

Tried phoning up the activation line and that's telling me that my key is not valid for use on more then one computer, but I was under the impression that non-OEM keys could be re-activated as long as they were not being used on multiple machines at the same time.

Is this true and if so where do I need to go to sort this out? If not has M$ just royally screwed me over?

Dont particularly want to have to buy a new £80 copy just because of a previous hardware issue...

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Well that gives me a shred of hope, but I'm still unable to contact M$ as the free support requires a product ID, which -wait for it- requires you to activate the product first.
facepalm.jpg

Tried making a post on the MS forums but doubt that'll come to much.

Forgot to mention, my urgency at this is because it's on the last day before activation is required, I'd left it this long to make sure everything new was faultless to avoid repeated activations and this exact situation...

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009

Tried that the first time, just told me that my copy was only viable for one computer.

isamuelson

Distinguished
As long as it's not OEM, you're good to go. I once had an OEM copy and was able to reactivate it on a new motherboard. Most of this is automated now. You don't even have to speak with a live person. You just type in your key you got with Windows, it will then validate it, give you a new activation number to type in to reactive your key.