2500+ Trouble

pjordan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
I have an 2500+ that I have been overclocking. It is at 211 X 10. When I run Memtest it gets 57% through and then locks up. It doesn't display errors it just locks up and I have to reset it. I am using Geil Dual Channel DDR433 at 3-3-6 which is what it is rated for. It is at 2.8VDimm, whould I try raising that to 2.9. I don't want anything to burn up. Would that be safe? Or it might be my CPU? I tried it at 1.7Vcore and that happened, I raised it to 1.775 and had the same syptoms. I tried booting into windows Xp at 1.725 and got to the enter password screen. I entered password and hit enter and it locked up. What should I do to get maximum performance? I have the Asus a7a8x deluxe.
Thanks for any help.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
1) How is your power supply handling it? Are any of the voltage rails running low?

2) Have you tried changing the memory timings to something less demanding like 4-4-8 to see if that makes it more stable?

<pre><A HREF="http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030905" target="_new"><font color=black>People don't understand how hard being a dark god can be. - Hastur</font color=black></A></pre><p>

pjordan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
How do I know about voltages? What should they be?

I looked in the Hardware Monitor and the Vcore, though set at 1.725 is 1.77. The +3 is +3.25, the +5 is 4.86 and the +12 is 12.6.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by pjordan on 10/15/03 03:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It couldn't hurt to try slower timings. But you've already indicated your own problem:
The +3 is +3.25, the +5 is 4.86
The 3.3V line is under spec. The 5V line is under spec. They should both be slightly <i>above</i> spec for a guaranteed stability. Being just <i>at</i> (or slightly below) is when your power supply is <i>just</i> enough. And being that far <i>under</i> spec means that your weakest link (in this case your RAM) is going to crap out on you at any given moment.

I'd say that you need a better power supply. This one looks like it's just being ridden too hard.

<pre><A HREF="http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030905" target="_new"><font color=black>People don't understand how hard being a dark god can be. - Hastur</font color=black></A></pre><p>

G

sorry to have to ask the obvious: is it stable at stock speeds ?

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I tried 4-4-8 and had the same problem with memtest. It can't do test 5.
Well as I said, you've already indicated that you have a power supply problem. Until you fix that you're going to be at the mercy of whatever components (so far at least the RAM) you have that don't like being undervolted.

pjordan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
It runs fine at 207 X 10.5 at 1.7 volts. It is actually more like 1.74 volts though.
That's what it is set at now.
It seems to me that only the +5 is underrated, is the +3 supposed to be 3.3? The Cpu and the +12 are also over spec.
I have a Enermax power supply and I heard those were some of the best. I dont know what power rating it is though.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
I assume that you have done the bois update too. If you are still running in dual channel mode try disabling it. If it works then you have a defective pair of ram, happends alot for it is not easy handpicking good chips that will do DC. Also Wat is the stepping on your CPU? Could also flash the CMOS but the ram you have should do that clock cycle without changing the voltage to it but it. Should be able to keep the CPU voltage around 1.725-1.75 volts and no more. Also check your CPU temp to make sure it is not breaking 70 degrees celsius and also check the mobo temp. Ive got more buy go ahead and just look at these first.

F-DISK-Format-Reinstal DO DA!! DO DA!!

pjordan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
I dont know the stepping on my cpu. I dont think the cpu is a problem though, becuase i can raise my multi but not my fsb. I guess i will try both sticks by themselves.

G

Captain Obvious recommends that with overclocking you try to push one component at a time!

That way it's easier to figure out crashes!

<b><font color=red>Captain Obvious To The Rescue!!!</font color=red></b>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Could you tell me the stepping on that CPU? Also does the comp run stable when you put it back to 166 clock cycle and 11 multiplier? Have you tried disabling the Dual Channel mode?

pjordan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
How do I find out the stepping? The comp runs stable at stock settings and also at 11 x 200. How do i disable dual channel mode? By just running one stick at a time?

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
The stepping is on the black sticker on the CPU. AXDA/AQXEA is a good one for example. Your Dual Channel can be disabled in your bios or simply take one out. Also wich revision of the A7N8X-Deluxe do you have? Youll find that in between the AGP and PCI slot i believe. I know the barton 2500 can do the 200 mhz easily but anymore than that would depend on that stepping and mobo.

pjordan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
It passes memtest at 11 X 210 and seems to run fine in windows to. It fails prime95 immediatly though. It is around 50C. Is that too hot?

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
50 is great. The result of that test just means that you will encounter some system instability after prolong usage without reboot. The fact that it does it immediately means you would also encounter software corruption, mostly in your registry, at those settings. Sounds like you have a memory issue with either the channels on you mobo or ram.

G

>I have a Enermax power supply and I heard those were some
>of the best.

Hmm.. I used to have an Enermax 350W and after a year or so of working, it just wouldnt feed my old ECS K7SA board properly anymore (getting too low voltages and crashes). Now those boards are infamous for being picky about PSU's, but I tried 2 or 3 other PSU's, and they all worked fine. I also tested the enermax on a few different boards, and they worked fine as well.. (even though they also reported too low voltages). I did some researching then, and it seemed a LOT of the Enermax 350W's where troublesome, and I don't think I'd recommend them to anyone anymore. Somehow ended up with a 450W Enermax anyway, and not a problem since.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =

pjordan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
I think mine is either a 350 or a 300 watt. It boots at 11.5 X 205, but it is not very stable. The voltage is at 1.7725. How high is it safe to go? Remember my board seems to give it about .025 more than I set it for.

G

I was refererring to 3.3 and 5v lines of the PSU which where too low, not vCore