How to determine location of running process?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Howdy All,

How can I tell what application is associated with a process that shows up
in task manager?

I have a process called 'fdemiapi' that is running (sometimes 2 instances)
and I can find an application with the same name.

Thank,
Brian

I get no info with a Google search for fdemiapi,
Errors using System Info.
Could be spy/mal-ware

Two ways that I know of to locate the program:
1) Go to www.sysinternals.com and download the free program - Process
Explorer. It'll give you more info on this than you ever wanted to know! :)
2) Do a search on your hard drive for fdemiapi as the filename. This
should give you the location of the file and you may be able to associate it
with a program from that info.

I don't know the status of your system - but unknown processes scare the
dickens out of me. Some recommendations:
1) Go to Windows Update and ensure that you've updated all the stuff there
2) Update your anti-virus and do a complete system scan
3) Do several online anti-virus scans (TrendMicro and Panda come to mind)
4) Update your anti-spyware protection and scan for those threats.
5) Update your firewall and scan for threats to that (Sygate comes to mind).

Good luck!

"Brian" wrote:

> Howdy All,
>
> How can I tell what application is associated with a process that shows up
> in task manager?
>
> I have a process called 'fdemiapi' that is running (sometimes 2 instances)
> and I can find an application with the same name.
>
> Thank,
> Brian

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Thanks everyone, running scans now.

Will update...

"usasma" <usasma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I get no info with a Google search for fdemiapi,
> Errors using System Info.
> Could be spy/mal-ware
>
> Two ways that I know of to locate the program:
> 1) Go to www.sysinternals.com and download the free program - Process
> Explorer. It'll give you more info on this than you ever wanted to know!
> :)
> 2) Do a search on your hard drive for fdemiapi as the filename. This
> should give you the location of the file and you may be able to associate
> it
> with a program from that info.
>
> I don't know the status of your system - but unknown processes scare the
> dickens out of me. Some recommendations:
> 1) Go to Windows Update and ensure that you've updated all the stuff
> there
> 2) Update your anti-virus and do a complete system scan
> 3) Do several online anti-virus scans (TrendMicro and Panda come to mind)
> 4) Update your anti-spyware protection and scan for those threats.
> 5) Update your firewall and scan for threats to that (Sygate comes to
> mind).
>
> Good luck!
>
> "Brian" wrote:
>
>> Howdy All,
>>
>> How can I tell what application is associated with a process that shows
>> up
>> in task manager?
>>
>> I have a process called 'fdemiapi' that is running (sometimes 2
>> instances)
>> and I can find an application with the same name.
>>
>> Thank,
>> Brian

Look in System Information Process' page.

"Brian" <treddderx@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23JigeBjrFHA.692@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> Howdy All,
>
> How can I tell what application is associated with a process that shows up
> in task manager?
>
> I have a process called 'fdemiapi' that is running (sometimes 2 instances)
> and I can find an application with the same name.
>
> Thank,
> Brian

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Tried that David.

For some reason I get an error message when I try to run 'system info'.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Look in System Information Process' page.

"Brian" <treddderx@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Howdy All,
>
> How can I tell what application is associated with a process that shows up
> in task manager?
>
> I have a process called 'fdemiapi' that is running (sometimes 2 instances)
> and I can find an application with the same name.
>
> Thank,
> Brian

Type

wmic process get name,commandline