zoney

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2005

We have recently rebuilt a Windows XP machine, we used a quick format and
reinstalled Windows. Prior to the install we copied all profiles and user
data, however when we completed the new build we realised that a users
profile was not copied over and their "my documents" was not copied. It turns
out that the user created their profile with self permission only, hence why
the copy failed. We have used R-Studio to recover the lost profile which was
successful, however the data, in particular the word documents are all
garbage, which may be as a result of the NTFS permissions. We have attempted
to repair the word documents but unsuccessfully. Can anyone help?????

These articles might help, although I'm unfamiliar with the recovery of Word
documents. Thes documents all deal with permissions, ownership, and access
denied errors.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q304040&ID=KB;EN-US;q304040
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;281248
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308418

Please be aware that the changing of these settings is a bit flakey - and
may reuire repeated attempts on the folder and sub-folders to get it to work.
Also, you might want to use a free NTFS to DOS reader to copy the files to a
FAT32 file system - this'll effectively strip all the permissions from the
file. I know others who have used a Live Linux distro, such as Knoppix, to
recover their files.

Good luck - this can be frustrating!

"zoney" wrote:

> We have recently rebuilt a Windows XP machine, we used a quick format and
> reinstalled Windows. Prior to the install we copied all profiles and user
> data, however when we completed the new build we realised that a users
> profile was not copied over and their "my documents" was not copied. It turns
> out that the user created their profile with self permission only, hence why
> the copy failed. We have used R-Studio to recover the lost profile which was
> successful, however the data, in particular the word documents are all
> garbage, which may be as a result of the NTFS permissions. We have attempted
> to repair the word documents but unsuccessfully. Can anyone help?????

yvonne

Zoney, I am having the same problem if you find out how to recover them
please let me know, and I will do the same. Good Luck!!!