Very basic query

My son is looking to buy a computer system. He doesn't need anything too
fancy.

He is thinking about the Dell Dim 2400.

I have one, but mine has a Pentium chip.

The ones available are Celeron.
The choices are Celeron 240 vs. Celeron 260 for $40. more.

Is celeron that much inferior to pentium? If not, would it be worth spending
the extra $40. (Money is definitely a factor for him).

Mel

Yes, the P4 is well worth $40 more.

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> My son is looking to buy a computer system. He doesn't need anything too
> fancy.
>
> He is thinking about the Dell Dim 2400.
>
> I have one, but mine has a Pentium chip.
>
> The ones available are Celeron.
> The choices are Celeron 240 vs. Celeron 260 for $40. more.
>
> Is celeron that much inferior to pentium? If not, would it be worth
spending
> the extra $40. (Money is definitely a factor for him).
>
> Mel

Ed:

No, the P4 is not an option with the Dim 2400.

The extra $40. is for the Celeron 260 vs. the Celeron 240.

Mel

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> Yes, the P4 is well worth $40 more.
>

> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>> My son is looking to buy a computer system. He doesn't need anything too
>> fancy.
>>
>> He is thinking about the Dell Dim 2400.
>>
>> I have one, but mine has a Pentium chip.
>>
>> The ones available are Celeron.
>> The choices are Celeron 240 vs. Celeron 260 for $40. more.
>>
>> Is celeron that much inferior to pentium? If not, would it be worth
> spending
>> the extra $40. (Money is definitely a factor for him).
>>
>> Mel

I know --- my dim 2400 has a P4

But the choices listed on their site does not include P4

Mel

> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>> Ed:
>>
>> No, the P4 is not an option with the Dim 2400.
>>
>> The extra $40. is for the Celeron 260 vs. the Celeron 240.
>>
>> Mel
>>

> It will most certainly support the P4:
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/specs.htm

> My son is looking to buy a computer system. He doesn't need anything too
> fancy.

If he wants to play games it might be worth looking higher up the range.
The 2400 has no AGP port, so you can`t swap the gfx card out for
something with a little more oomph.

But it sounds like Dell is not offering a Pentium 4 as an option, only Celery
chips... Ben Myers

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:44:52 -0500, "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>> Ed:
>>
>> No, the P4 is not an option with the Dim 2400.
>>
>> The extra $40. is for the Celeron 260 vs. the Celeron 240.
>>
>> Mel
>>

>It will most certainly support the P4:
>
>http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/specs.htm

In article <10nrc8sqfmscd06@corp.supernews.com>, mel@prodigy.invalid.net
says...
> Ed:
>
> No, the P4 is not an option with the Dim 2400.
>
> The extra $40. is for the Celeron 260 vs. the Celeron 240.
>
> Mel
>
> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, the P4 is well worth $40 more.
> >

> > "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> >> My son is looking to buy a computer system. He doesn't need anything too
> >> fancy.
> >>
> >> He is thinking about the Dell Dim 2400.
> >>
> >> I have one, but mine has a Pentium chip.
> >>
> >> The ones available are Celeron.
> >> The choices are Celeron 240 vs. Celeron 260 for $40. more.
> >>
> >> Is celeron that much inferior to pentium? If not, would it be worth
> > spending
> >> the extra $40. (Money is definitely a factor for him).
> >>
> >> Mel

My 2400 certainly has a 2.8 gHz P4. No celery in here.

-- Bob

In article <10nrftfmg2enk9b@corp.supernews.com>, mel@prodigy.invalid.net
says...
> I know --- my dim 2400 has a P4
>
> But the choices listed on their site does not include P4
>
> Mel
> "S.Lewis" <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> >> Ed:
> >>
> >> No, the P4 is not an option with the Dim 2400.
> >>
> >> The extra $40. is for the Celeron 260 vs. the Celeron 240.
> >>
> >> Mel
> >>

> > It will most certainly support the P4:
> >
> > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/specs.htm

Dell changes their available options around a lot, I've found. I had to
wait until they offered something I wanted for a price I could live
with.

-- Bob

for basic computer the celeron is fine, and so is the integrated video card
in the dimension 2400. however action games like doom and halo (violent
single point shooter games that teenagers and adults seem to be attracted
to) demand powerful video cards to work well. the dimension 2400 does not
have an good upgrade path to install a more powerful video card (you can
install a pci type video card to use in place of the integrated card but
that is not ideal). also, there is a newer model than the dimension 2400
called the dimension 3000. currently, the dimension 3000 is the best value
and is being sold with a 17" flat panel monitor for $600 after rebate... go
to dell.com, then 'small business' (yes, an individual can purchase from
small business), then 'outrageous deals', then 'desktops', click on the $349
system... $499 less $150 mail in rebate, free shipping, sales tax is
charged. The only thing you may want to change is the monitor. a 17" crt
is included but you can replace it with a 17" flat panel for just $150 more
(be sure to select the last one). the only bad thing about this
configuration is that if you try to upgrade the cd rom drive configuration
the alternatives are very expensive... i suggest you add your own option cd
drive if you want more.

"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> My son is looking to buy a computer system. He doesn't need anything too
> fancy.
>
> He is thinking about the Dell Dim 2400.
>
> I have one, but mine has a Pentium chip.
>
> The ones available are Celeron.
> The choices are Celeron 240 vs. Celeron 260 for $40. more.
>
> Is celeron that much inferior to pentium? If not, would it be worth
spending
> the extra $40. (Money is definitely a factor for him).
>
> Mel

oops, make that $500 (after rebate) with 17" flat panel monitor.

> for basic computer the celeron is fine, and so is the integrated video
card
> in the dimension 2400. however action games like doom and halo (violent
> single point shooter games that teenagers and adults seem to be attracted
> to) demand powerful video cards to work well. the dimension 2400 does not
> have an good upgrade path to install a more powerful video card (you can
> install a pci type video card to use in place of the integrated card but
> that is not ideal). also, there is a newer model than the dimension 2400
> called the dimension 3000. currently, the dimension 3000 is the best
value
> and is being sold with a 17" flat panel monitor for $600 after rebate...
go
> to dell.com, then 'small business' (yes, an individual can purchase from
> small business), then 'outrageous deals', then 'desktops', click on the
$349
> system... $499 less $150 mail in rebate, free shipping, sales tax is
> charged. The only thing you may want to change is the monitor. a 17" crt
> is included but you can replace it with a 17" flat panel for just $150
more
> (be sure to select the last one). the only bad thing about this
> configuration is that if you try to upgrade the cd rom drive configuration
> the alternatives are very expensive... i suggest you add your own option
cd
> drive if you want more.
>
> "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> > My son is looking to buy a computer system. He doesn't need anything too
> > fancy.
> >
> > He is thinking about the Dell Dim 2400.
> >
> > I have one, but mine has a Pentium chip.
> >
> > The ones available are Celeron.
> > The choices are Celeron 240 vs. Celeron 260 for $40. more.
> >
> > Is celeron that much inferior to pentium? If not, would it be worth
> spending
> > the extra $40. (Money is definitely a factor for him).
> >
> > Mel

Quite so! Dell is not offering the P4 based 2400 anymore or not on the
Canadian site at least. The 3000 would be the choice then for a P4 based
system. It would price out cheaper than the 4600 but if cost is a big
consideration then the 3000 might be the only alternative. With a PCI video
card purchased after the sale locally, the system would run nicely. I
actually have a 4600 with an ATI 9800 Pro and for some games that my wife
likes (Wheel of Fortune...etc) the NVidia 5200 card is a bit quicker...go
figure.

Ummm for the record, on Doom 3 and high res games, the 9800 still rules the
roost between the 2 systems.

Regards,
John O.

> But it sounds like Dell is not offering a Pentium 4 as an option, only
> Celery
> chips... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:44:52 -0500, "S.Lewis"
> <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>

>>"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>>> Ed:
>>>
>>> No, the P4 is not an option with the Dim 2400.
>>>
>>> The extra $40. is for the Celeron 260 vs. the Celeron 240.
>>>
>>> Mel
>>>

>>It will most certainly support the P4:
>>
>>http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/specs.htm

Ben:

Exactly. But my question remains: is that really bad?

Mel
> But it sounds like Dell is not offering a Pentium 4 as an option, only
> Celery
> chips... Ben Myers
>
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:44:52 -0500, "S.Lewis"
> <stew1960@cover.bellsouth.net>
> wrote:
>

>>"MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
>>> Ed:
>>>
>>> No, the P4 is not an option with the Dim 2400.
>>>
>>> The extra $40. is for the Celeron 260 vs. the Celeron 240.
>>>
>>> Mel
>>>

>>It will most certainly support the P4:
>>
>>http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/specs.htm

So does mine. But again, is the celeron that bad.

Should my son get the dim 3000 with the P4 chip?

He is just going to be a basic user.

Mel
"Odd Bob" <odd_bob@odd.bob> wrote in message
> In article <10nrc8sqfmscd06@corp.supernews.com>, mel@prodigy.invalid.net
> says...
>> Ed:
>>
>> No, the P4 is not an option with the Dim 2400.
>>
>> The extra $40. is for the Celeron 260 vs. the Celeron 240.
>>
>> Mel
>>
>> "Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
>> > Yes, the P4 is well worth $40 more.
>> >

>> > "MB_" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message

>> > spending

> My 2400 certainly has a 2.8 gHz P4. No celery in here.
>
> -- Bob

Unless you are heavy duty gamer or you do something else that is really
intensive in its computations, Celerons are perfectly acceptable... Ben Myers