Whats the most you have gone through to get a pin in the h..

BLACKTIGER

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005

I decided that I wanted to put my recently bought Mr/Mrs Pac pin in one
of my game rooms in my house. The gameroom is a spare bedroom on the
top floor. It has 9 vids and has a Pac, Ms Pac and Super Pac in it so
The Pac pin I thought would look great in there. Now the head to the
pin does not come off (atleast as easy as most) so I left it on. We
have a tri level so I thought I would first measure and see if we could
just take it up the stairs in the house. Nope, its to long standing on
end. So I think, hey, lets put it on the dolly and go up the deck, in
through the master bedroom, down the hall and into the room. Ohh this
turned into a VERY bad idea. The normal patio door is 6 ft, ours is a
5 ft. I removed the sliding door but for some reason could not get the
stationary door off. Anyway, we try to use the dolly to go up the
stepd. Not working well so we decided to carry it. Ohhh was that an
even worse idea. My wife can not go more than 3 steps and has to sit
it down. Now once it is down, there is no picking it back up. So she
has to come around to the back. I go to the front, open the coin door
and we finally manage to get it to the top of the deck. then we try to
get it in the door. Well the opening it 27. The pin is 27 and 1/4. I
had measured 3 times but thought maybe it would go. Well we ended up
putting 4 blankets over the threshold and turning the pin on its side
and angling it thru the door opening. FINALLY its in. We eventually
get it in the room and then get it set up. What a freakin' ordeal. So
there it sits, 9 vids and 1 pin in a 11x11 room. My wife said when we
finally move, we are hiring movers, this will never happen again.

So whats your horiffic story of moving a pin into the house?

Ohh yea, it also was 96 outside and took us over 2 hr to do all of
this!!!

BLACKTIGER

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005

You are not freakin' kidding that was insane. I told my wife, I bet
not many people on the message board ever turned a pin on its side to
get it in the house. We have so many bruises it is not even funny.

Not so sure about the game ,but it sounds like the wifes a keeper

I once bought a pinball machine at an estate auction. They apparently
had built the room out after moving the machine in. I had to do the
take it out sideways method, but not until I went and bought some
tools, then removed the door and some of the door trim. I got it out
(just barely) the reassembled the door and trim. Worth it for an EBD,
but just barely.

Most trouble I ever had getting one into my house was a shuffle bowler.
Six player, quite tall and very heavy. Did it alone, and will never
do it that way again.

Ron

BlackTiger wrote:
> You are not freakin' kidding that was insane. I told my wife, I bet
> not many people on the message board ever turned a pin on its side to
> get it in the house. We have so many bruises it is not even funny.

Let me see.. we have 3 little steps at our front door, so each pin has
to be lifted over these.
Then you pass the stairway, the base of it I have cut a piece off and
changed the ornamental wooden piece to a smaller one, so pins can pass
next to the stairs.
Next to the stairs you have about an inch more than a wpc head..
At the end of the hallway there's a door which has to be removed.
The frame is then just 1cm (less than half an inch) wider than a wpc
head.
And there's a small turn to do (door is about 10cm to the side of the
wall).

Before we had our gameroom upstairs. Some games moved 2 times up and
down again (always head removed, playfield out of the game, ..).
Now we have a gameroom in the back of the garden.
So no more upstairs lifting, only 3 steps down to exit the house and
enter the garden. And another narrow door to pass through first..

The biggest problem ever was getting an Exhaust Note dual sitdown racer
in the house. It was at my storage and I had borrowed the van of a
neighbour to get it home. The van was too low, the game didn't fit.
I had removed the monitors, the game had good wheels underneath it, so
in the end I just pushed the cabinet over the streets about 3 miles to
my house.
Getting it into the house: again, lifting it 3 steps.. going through
the hallway.. and at the end it got stuck at the bend.
It blocked the entry to the basement so I couldn't access my tools. I
was at one side of the game, my wife at the other side.
Pushed the game back so I could get some tools.
Used a saw to remove a part of the door frame. Still the game didn't go
through, as the wood above the players head with the light box on
sticks out too much to the front. Cut about 1cm off from this wood of
the games cabinet. Then it just fit !

Worst part: after 2 months we get bored with it and sold it, so we had
to do this all over again to get it out of the house !

Aeneas
-- http://www.flippers.be

BLACKTIGER

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005

Hmmm, I think your experience tops mine.

Yea the wife is a keeper alright.

I just have to find a pinball she likes. Have not found one yet.

I also once bought a Phantom of the Opera which was in someones office.
Near the door they had put a bookcase so the game couldn't go out that
way.
Only way was through the window at the back of the house.

I had removed the backbox, the guy helped to lift the cabinet out of
the window,
but he didn't have a lot of time (at least he told me so) so there I
was on his porch with the game, on my own..
I had to carry the cabinet and backbox for about 40meter through the
grass to my car which was parked behinds his house.
It was already dark so I almost couldn't see where I stepped (the lawn
wasn't very even)
Not funny.

Aeneas.
-- http://www.flippers.be

Worst experience I ever had was, surprisingly, not moving a pinball
machine at all.

It was college, and I was moving in with my girlfriend of the moment
for the summer. There was a small (18") hill between the parking lot
and the stairs to her place. Well, it was around midnight, and dew had
settled onto the grass of the hill, unbeknownst to me. So I park, open
the back door to my ride, and grab one (of two) 70-80 lb. subwoofers.
I take one step backwards with the sub in hands, and...

....fall flat on my back. *WHAM!* subwoofer comes down right on top of
me. Girlfriend of the moment comes running up, thinking that I'm now
dead.

I never lost consciousness, but it took a while (minute or two) before
I could breathe normally again.

BLACKTIGER

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2005

I have done some dumb things before. My wife has now started to try to
head off all projects before I can start. One that still is with me is
when I ran a phone line to a newly built detached garage. It was late
and I was frustrated looking for the wire strippers. Not thinking that
I had hooked the phone lines up on the end at the house, I proceeded to
use my teeth to strip the wires for the phone. Yep, at that moment, my
wife was talking to my mom on the phone and well I got a really nice
shock to the mouth. I just sat down and the next thing I remember my
wife was asking me what was wrong. I have no idea how long I was
sitting there but it was a while. because it was about 2 in the
morning and my wife said she was getting worried why I had been out so
long and never came inside. Needless to say, I will never use my teeth
to strip wire again.

Just picked up an Indiana Jones, in the corner of a converted one car
garage. My helper and I had to move 20 cases of water, a pool table,
two dumbbell stands fully loaded, and a weight bench............but it
was more than worth it!

Charlie L.

I on one end and a helper on the other end have to ACTUALLY carry the
darn pin through a french door into a walk out basement.

It's a bitch. ;-)

Bryan (CARGPB14) http://usergallery.myhomegameroom.com/gallery/bspins

"Warning! Achtung! Run away, Run away!: BK restorations may emit a
shower of sparks or flames or both. Keep a safe distance (like four
city blocks). Never return to a restoration once lit. Hot hot hot!"

(Sig line compliments of Clive at the Coin-Op Cauldron.)

BlackTiger wrote:
> I decided that I wanted to put my recently bought Mr/Mrs Pac pin in one
> of my game rooms in my house. The gameroom is a spare bedroom on the
> top floor. It has 9 vids and has a Pac, Ms Pac and Super Pac in it so
> The Pac pin I thought would look great in there. Now the head to the
> pin does not come off (atleast as easy as most) so I left it on. We
> have a tri level so I thought I would first measure and see if we could
> just take it up the stairs in the house. Nope, its to long standing on
> end. So I think, hey, lets put it on the dolly and go up the deck, in
> through the master bedroom, down the hall and into the room. Ohh this
> turned into a VERY bad idea. The normal patio door is 6 ft, ours is a
> 5 ft. I removed the sliding door but for some reason could not get the
> stationary door off. Anyway, we try to use the dolly to go up the
> stepd. Not working well so we decided to carry it. Ohhh was that an
> even worse idea. My wife can not go more than 3 steps and has to sit
> it down. Now once it is down, there is no picking it back up. So she
> has to come around to the back. I go to the front, open the coin door
> and we finally manage to get it to the top of the deck. then we try to
> get it in the door. Well the opening it 27. The pin is 27 and 1/4. I
> had measured 3 times but thought maybe it would go. Well we ended up
> putting 4 blankets over the threshold and turning the pin on its side
> and angling it thru the door opening. FINALLY its in. We eventually
> get it in the room and then get it set up. What a freakin' ordeal. So
> there it sits, 9 vids and 1 pin in a 11x11 room. My wife said when we
> finally move, we are hiring movers, this will never happen again.
>
> So whats your horiffic story of moving a pin into the house?
>
> Ohh yea, it also was 96 outside and took us over 2 hr to do all of
> this!!!

Nobody home, neighbors I've used for help in the past nowhere to be
seen (they must have known I was picking up a pin.) So it is
absolutely just me vs an EM and a narrow set of basement steps. The
head, glass, pf, and legs are no big deal, but that cab weighs about as
much as I do. Set it on a beach towel to slide it over the hardwood
floors between the garage and basement steps. Then, with my back to
the steps pulled the game over the threshold and lowered it onto the
first step. I repeated this until I had enough clearance to lean the
game back without damaging the wall of the hallway opposite the
basement door. Then allowed the game to slide slowly down the steps to
the landing where I turned the game and repeated the process to the
bottom. I don't want to think about what would have happened if I'd
lost my balance while going backward down the stairs. I now own a hand
truck with a strap and stair climber, which I bought 5 years too
late....

I use to live on a second floor that had really steep stairs and
narrow doors and was trying to get a Tz up with no luck .So after doing
some thinking i took a window out and borrowed a fork lift and slide it
in through the window opening
Ray

BlackTiger wrote:
> So whats your horiffic story of moving a pin into the house?

Putting a Space Riders cab on a set of wooden stairs, throwing my
shoulder against it, and sliding it slowly up to the top. Subsequent
pins were stripped and taken up piece by piece.

Everything else has just been a lot of dorking around with a dolly.

Only nice thing about that Space Riders was that when it was time to
move out, I just laid it back down on the steps, sat down in front of
it, and slowly crabwalked down the stairs.

How about getting one OUT of the house. When I had my pins in the house I
had to get one out by MYSELF.

Here's the scenario. The basement is 4' below grade and the basement stairs
are too narrow and tight to bring a game up the stairs. So I have 3' x 3'
windows where the bottom of the window ledge is is 6" above grade outside
which puts them 4' 6" above finished floor in the basement. I wanted to get
the game into a utility trailer so i could haul it to the driveway.

Packed up and strapped the game as usual. Pulled the window out and
protected the window ledge by a packing blanket. Layed a plywood ramp from
the window ledge to the trailer to push the game into.

With the game packed and standing on the back I tipped the game forward so
the bottom of the cabinet came to rest on the window ledge. And with all
the BRUTE FORCE I had in my body was able to lift the entire game up and out
enough through the window to slide it into the trailer.

I was sore for two days after that!!! Once the game was lifted up there was
a "point of no return" where if you dropped it I surely would have broken
it, so it was keep going at all expense. My games are no longer in the
basement and I swear I would never do that again, but there was nobody
around to help and I didn't want to wait.

--
Mike S.
Kalamazoo, MI

Gameroom: http://tinyurl.com/4hfev
W C S Owner's List: http://tinyurl.com/39cjo
M B Scoop Repair: http://tinyurl.com/9lfu

RGP'ers,

Well the worst experience that I ever had moving a pinball machine was
into a co-worker's basement.

When my co-worker first came to me with the request she asked,
"You're into pins ... right ... the playing kind?" I asked, "You
don't even know what I work on here at work. How do you know that I
like pinball?" She responded, "I saw your picture in the newspaper (*)
and figured that you'd help me." I suspected that my co-worker knew
little to nothing of pinball and was in need of my help. I asked her,
"Which game?" She said, "a pinball game". "Is that the name", I asked.
"I don't know", she responded. This verified my suspicion.

But, before I got myself into something that I would regret, I asked my
co-worker about the game and the move. She could answer no questions
about the game. She said the move should be easy because, "It's (the
move) just straight down one flight of stairs. Upstairs would be hard."
I told her that I would help her only if she would, "Take everything
off of the stairway." She agreed.

So, the next Saturday, I took on of my friends and my tools and headed
to my co-worker's house. We surveyed the situation. There was no
pinball machine. There was a set of stairs going up and into the house
and the downstairs stairway was full of the obligatory: jackets, shoes,
and tools. I asked why the stairs leading down into the basement
weren't cleared. My co-worker responded, "I didn't know what you
wanted taken off of the stairway?" I barked, "everything!" My friend
and I went downstairs to check out the pin's eventual location. As my
friend previously guessed, the large gravity furnace was located at the
bottom of the stairs. Far from either of our imaginations, the pipes
for the furnace limited the egress into the basement to less than four
and half feet in height. And, of course, the pin was to go around the
corner and into the cluttered adjacent space.

My co-worker had her son clean the stairway and make a spot for the pin
while she went to get the pinball machine. My friend and I waited
almost two hours for my co-worker to return. In all that time, my
co-worker's son only made a narrow path down the stairs and small
landing spot for the game.

When my co-worker finally arrived back, my friend asked what took her
so long. She said, "You know, I got the game from a girlfriend and we
got to talking. You know how it is." He responded angrily, "No, not
when I know there a people waiting for me!" She tried to defend her
actions but only made thing worse by saying, "It didn't take that
long. The pinball machine was already on the trailer."

My co-worker's son started laughing at his mother. In turn, my
co-worker started yelling at her son for not cleaning up the stairway.
I didn't pay too much attention because I was busy dismantling the
machine for its trip down the narrow, still cluttered stairs and into
the cramped and cluttered basement. When my co-worker saw what I was
doing she acted as though I was cutting and "Picasso" out of its
original frame. She was irrational until I told her, "They (the pinball
manufacturer) made the game by putting it together. So it (the game)
does come apart."

I made my co-worker's son carry the game's legs and their hardware
into the basement while my friend and I took the body. My co-worker
"freaked out" again because she didn't have the strength to carry the
game's head. She blathered something about us needing all of the
pieces but we didn't pay attention because we had already turned away
carrying the body.

My friend and I had to heft the game's body down the stairs and under
the furnace pipes. It was like playing limbo with the body of a pinball
machine. As there was not enough room or height to set the body on its
back. We simply had to "muscle" the game into its new home.

I stayed in the basement to put the legs on the game. I asked my
co-worker's son where he put the leg's hardware. He didn't know
and couldn't find the hardware in all of the junk around us. Lacking
a place to even set down the game's head that he had retrieved, my
friend had to stand and hold the head as I wrestled past him to go into
my car for new leg bolts. Buy the time that I had rushed back, my
friend had found the bolts. I quickly put the legs on the game. Then, I
took the game's head from my friend. I installed the head with less
than one half inch between it and the floor joists. I plugged
everything in and turned on the game.

Yep you guessed it. The damn game didn't even play! All that
frustration and work for a pinball machine that wasn't even complete.
One of the game's motor / target assemblies was missing.

Purely out of frustration, I pulled and repaired the main board and
"Jimmy rigged" the target. That damn game was playable before my friend
made a path for us to get away.

And get away we did!

--
PinTed

(*) St Paul Pioneer Press, "Disappearing Act", June 29, 2002

BlackTiger wrote:
> I decided that I wanted to put my recently bought Mr/Mrs Pac pin in one
> of my game rooms in my house
(EDITED)

> So whats your horiffic story of moving a pin into the house?

(EDITED)

My favorite part....."Well the opening is 27. The pin is 27 and 1/4. I had
measured 3 times but thought maybe it would go."

Herb Schanke

"BlackTiger" <caligallagher@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I decided that I wanted to put my recently bought Mr/Mrs Pac pin in one
> of my game rooms in my house. The gameroom is a spare bedroom on the
> top floor. It has 9 vids and has a Pac, Ms Pac and Super Pac in it so
> The Pac pin I thought would look great in there. Now the head to the
> pin does not come off (atleast as easy as most) so I left it on. We
> have a tri level so I thought I would first measure and see if we could
> just take it up the stairs in the house. Nope, its to long standing on
> end. So I think, hey, lets put it on the dolly and go up the deck, in
> through the master bedroom, down the hall and into the room. Ohh this
> turned into a VERY bad idea. The normal patio door is 6 ft, ours is a
> 5 ft. I removed the sliding door but for some reason could not get the
> stationary door off. Anyway, we try to use the dolly to go up the
> stepd. Not working well so we decided to carry it. Ohhh was that an
> even worse idea. My wife can not go more than 3 steps and has to sit
> it down. Now once it is down, there is no picking it back up. So she
> has to come around to the back. I go to the front, open the coin door
> and we finally manage to get it to the top of the deck. then we try to
> get it in the door. Well the opening it 27. The pin is 27 and 1/4. I
> had measured 3 times but thought maybe it would go. Well we ended up
> putting 4 blankets over the threshold and turning the pin on its side
> and angling it thru the door opening. FINALLY its in. We eventually
> get it in the room and then get it set up. What a freakin' ordeal. So
> there it sits, 9 vids and 1 pin in a 11x11 room. My wife said when we
> finally move, we are hiring movers, this will never happen again.
>
> So whats your horiffic story of moving a pin into the house?
>
> Ohh yea, it also was 96 outside and took us over 2 hr to do all of
> this!!!

Yup that'll teach ya, LOL!! Measure twice cut once ya know.

I have a similar problem in my game room. I must have measured things out
in there a hundred times already to try and fit a 5th pin in there in any
way possible but its just not gonna happen BUT did that stop me from
whipping out the tape measure again yesterday when I found another pin I
wanted?? Nope. Wasted a whole hour + measuring and thinking and did I come
up with anything .... nope! Still won't fit (like my room will miraculously
become bigger all of the sudden when I am not looking.

Oh well its terribly addictive hobby isn't it.

Greg

> Yea I know but the corners are rounded so I thought maybe just maybe my
> eyes would be deceiving me. Guess I was wrong :>)

In my old apartment, pins had to be carried 5 flights of stairs (no
elevator). Most of the times we didnt even bother to dismount the head or
the playfield and just carry the thing upstairs. I moved about 25 pins
upstairs like that, only seem to run out of friends fast. My neighbours
didnt even open up anymore if they saw a van on the parking lot, just to be
sure.

My TZ was a different story, it was too wide for the door (auxilary kitchen
door was 10 cms smaller), so we had to set the head upright and then rotate
the whole thing into a 90 degree angle and work it in like that. That took 4
men.

My new apartment has an elevator. Regretfully it is in a pedestrian-only
area so I have to use a trolley for about 100 meters :)

..\\

>My new apartment has an elevator. Regretfully it is in a pedestrian-only
>area so I have to use a trolley for about 100 meters :)

at least you can use the elevator !
I once helped someone move a TZ into an appartment.
The elevator door was too small for a pin to pass !
We had to take the head off just to get it into the elevator :(

Aeneas.

Every Pin I own has too come apart into major components
(backbox, playfield, cabinet, legs, glass, translite, etc)

One by one all peices go up three floors to my game room. Through two
hairpin starcases. Then reassembled. Cabinet is hardest because of size but
it only weighs about 75lb empty.

I'm getting pretty good. Can rip one down, hual it upstairs, and reassemble
in about 3 hours with no assistance other than a hand dolly.

Ussually I get bored with one machine after about 6-12 months and it comes
back apart and goes back downstairs for sale.

My current project is getting a 625lb Daytona 2 USA Power Editition Sit down
Driver Apart and taking all the bits and peices up to third floor for
reassambly.

I think I've taken apart and reassembled about 20 pins in the past two
years.

The Daytona is staying put once it get up there ;)

I've also got a road show to take upstairs this weekend.

Need to find a lighter hobby. :)

Regards
Bob

"Aeneas Verhe" <averhe@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Let me see.. we have 3 little steps at our front door, so each pin has
> to be lifted over these.
> Then you pass the stairway, the base of it I have cut a piece off and
> changed the ornamental wooden piece to a smaller one, so pins can pass
> next to the stairs.
> Next to the stairs you have about an inch more than a wpc head..
> At the end of the hallway there's a door which has to be removed.
> The frame is then just 1cm (less than half an inch) wider than a wpc
> head.
> And there's a small turn to do (door is about 10cm to the side of the
> wall).
>
> Before we had our gameroom upstairs. Some games moved 2 times up and
> down again (always head removed, playfield out of the game, ..).
> Now we have a gameroom in the back of the garden.
> So no more upstairs lifting, only 3 steps down to exit the house and
> enter the garden. And another narrow door to pass through first..
>
> The biggest problem ever was getting an Exhaust Note dual sitdown racer
> in the house. It was at my storage and I had borrowed the van of a
> neighbour to get it home. The van was too low, the game didn't fit.
> I had removed the monitors, the game had good wheels underneath it, so
> in the end I just pushed the cabinet over the streets about 3 miles to
> my house.
> Getting it into the house: again, lifting it 3 steps.. going through
> the hallway.. and at the end it got stuck at the bend.
> It blocked the entry to the basement so I couldn't access my tools. I
> was at one side of the game, my wife at the other side.
> Pushed the game back so I could get some tools.
> Used a saw to remove a part of the door frame. Still the game didn't go
> through, as the wood above the players head with the light box on
> sticks out too much to the front. Cut about 1cm off from this wood of
> the games cabinet. Then it just fit !
>
> Worst part: after 2 months we get bored with it and sold it, so we had
> to do this all over again to get it out of the house !
>
> Aeneas
> -- http://www.flippers.be

My wife has a bad back (multiple surgeries) so she can't help me move a
pin at all. I'm trying to buy all the moving equipment I need to move
one by myself or with minimal help from her.

I think the only thing limited my hobby right now isn't space but just
the dread of moving another pin or worse an arcade machine into my
house. I want a bowler and skeeball in the basement but that would be
a nightmare.

"BlackTiger" <caligallagher@yahoo.com> wrote in

> end. So I think, hey, lets put it on the dolly and go up the deck, in
> through the master bedroom, down the hall and into the room. Ohh this
> turned into a VERY bad idea. The normal patio door is 6 ft, ours is a
> 5 ft. I removed the sliding door but for some reason could not get the
> stationary door off.

Ha, sounds like when I brought my first (8-ball) home. I had the same
problem (who makes a 5' slider - makes the opening barely over 2' wide).

My slider stationary would not come off (the sliding one did). Since this
was my first, neither my wife or I had any idea the *head* came off. So
we turned it on it's side and slowly angled it into the basement, dodging
some of the pieces that were laying about (basement renovations - thought
I had cleared them back far enough). Well, wouldn't you know it -got
stuck - had to back up twice - on the 3rd try in - my wife slips, loses
her grip and drops her end - but catches the pin inches from the floor
(mind you she had the head side). Scared me for her health/back and
second for my new toy. After that we got it through and set it upright.
Now I know better - plus I tore out the slider and put french doors in,
made the second pin into the basement easy as pie :)

> You are not freakin' kidding that was insane. I told my wife, I bet
> not many people on the message board ever turned a pin on its side to
> get it in the house. We have so many bruises it is not even funny.

wanna bet - check my response to your original post. We did it with the
head attached! And carried it from the garage to the back of the house...

These are the wives that you keep - the ones that put up with us and our
hobbies :)