Norton Personal Firewall 2005

I recently had a problem with NPF 2005 that resulted in my uninstalling the
program using the it's uninstall program. When I tried to reinstall the
program, I discovered that the installer would not run. I have tried various
methods to start the installer from the NPF 2005 install CD but nothing
worked. The Symantic knowledge base suggested copying the CD to the hard
drive and installing from the hard drive. This did not work either. I
thought that perhaps the setup program has been corrupted so I tried the CD
in a computer running Windows ME. The installer came to life and was ready
to proceed with the installation. I did not attempt to complete the
installation, I only wanted to determine if the setup program had been
corrupted. Does anyone have any idea why XP might not allow the program to
run?

I have a fix for that here

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?Open&src=sg&docid=2005061013365236&nsf=nip.nsf&view=d73981ee6120459e85256eda0045925b&dtype=&prod=Norton%20Personal%20Firewall&ver=2005&osv=&osv_lvl=

this would help you out let me know how this goes. I see this hapend all the
time. You just got to remote all the registry entries and files but this site
will help you out on it then you will be able to install Norton Personal
Firewall 2005. Ok I enjoyed helping you out. Bye

"csambuco" wrote:

> I recently had a problem with NPF 2005 that resulted in my uninstalling the
> program using the it's uninstall program. When I tried to reinstall the
> program, I discovered that the installer would not run. I have tried various
> methods to start the installer from the NPF 2005 install CD but nothing
> worked. The Symantic knowledge base suggested copying the CD to the hard
> drive and installing from the hard drive. This did not work either. I
> thought that perhaps the setup program has been corrupted so I tried the CD
> in a computer running Windows ME. The installer came to life and was ready
> to proceed with the installation. I did not attempt to complete the
> installation, I only wanted to determine if the setup program had been
> corrupted. Does anyone have any idea why XP might not allow the program to
> run?

Most Norton software have a reputation of not uninstalling completely. Look
on Symantec's support web site for the enhance uninstall clean-up utility.

=?Utf-8?B?Y3NhbWJ1Y28=?= wrote:

> I recently had a problem with NPF 2005 that resulted in my uninstalling the
> program using the it's uninstall program. When I tried to reinstall the

I have a collection of links to download nortons uninstall programs. One
might want to download and archive them. symnrte.exe is for npf2005
firewall, among others:

http://www.bootdisk.com/helpdesk.htm

I saved SYMNRT to the hard drive. When I started the program it appeared
that it would remove all my Norton Programs without an opportunity to select
specifically NPF 2005. Before proceeding with the cleanup, I wanted to find
out if it is possible to selectively clean a specific program. Is it
possible to selectively remove components of NPF?

"Matthew Senecal" wrote:

> I have a fix for that here
>
> http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?Open&src=sg&docid=2005061013365236&nsf=nip.nsf&view=d73981ee6120459e85256eda0045925b&dtype=&prod=Norton%20Personal%20Firewall&ver=2005&osv=&osv_lvl=
>
> this would help you out let me know how this goes. I see this hapend all the
> time. You just got to remote all the registry entries and files but this site
> will help you out on it then you will be able to install Norton Personal
> Firewall 2005. Ok I enjoyed helping you out. Bye
>
> "csambuco" wrote:
>
> > I recently had a problem with NPF 2005 that resulted in my uninstalling the
> > program using the it's uninstall program. When I tried to reinstall the
> > program, I discovered that the installer would not run. I have tried various
> > methods to start the installer from the NPF 2005 install CD but nothing
> > worked. The Symantic knowledge base suggested copying the CD to the hard
> > drive and installing from the hard drive. This did not work either. I
> > thought that perhaps the setup program has been corrupted so I tried the CD
> > in a computer running Windows ME. The installer came to life and was ready
> > to proceed with the installation. I did not attempt to complete the
> > installation, I only wanted to determine if the setup program had been
> > corrupted. Does anyone have any idea why XP might not allow the program to
> > run?

Well the instructions I have sent you are the ones to get rid of everythign
that's the only way that I know of for your situation. But there is a way if
it was nis 2005. But not just for NPF 2005. It should not be a problem to
uninstall everything right. By using this program you do have all the cds for
everything right? well let me know what you want to do ok thanks. I like
always helping out people. Thanks

"csambuco" wrote:

> I saved SYMNRT to the hard drive. When I started the program it appeared
> that it would remove all my Norton Programs without an opportunity to select
> specifically NPF 2005. Before proceeding with the cleanup, I wanted to find
> out if it is possible to selectively clean a specific program. Is it
> possible to selectively remove components of NPF?
>
> "Matthew Senecal" wrote:
>
> > I have a fix for that here
> >
> > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?Open&src=sg&docid=2005061013365236&nsf=nip.nsf&view=d73981ee6120459e85256eda0045925b&dtype=&prod=Norton%20Personal%20Firewall&ver=2005&osv=&osv_lvl=
> >
> > this would help you out let me know how this goes. I see this hapend all the
> > time. You just got to remote all the registry entries and files but this site
> > will help you out on it then you will be able to install Norton Personal
> > Firewall 2005. Ok I enjoyed helping you out. Bye
> >
> > "csambuco" wrote:
> >
> > > I recently had a problem with NPF 2005 that resulted in my uninstalling the
> > > program using the it's uninstall program. When I tried to reinstall the
> > > program, I discovered that the installer would not run. I have tried various
> > > methods to start the installer from the NPF 2005 install CD but nothing
> > > worked. The Symantic knowledge base suggested copying the CD to the hard
> > > drive and installing from the hard drive. This did not work either. I
> > > thought that perhaps the setup program has been corrupted so I tried the CD
> > > in a computer running Windows ME. The installer came to life and was ready
> > > to proceed with the installation. I did not attempt to complete the
> > > installation, I only wanted to determine if the setup program had been
> > > corrupted. Does anyone have any idea why XP might not allow the program to
> > > run?

I finally had an opportunity to implement your instructions. Complete removal
of all Norton Software and reinstallation worked perfectly. I want to thank
you very much for providing helpful, accurate instructions to correct the
defect. I spent over a month sending emails back and forth to Symantic Tech
Support. Unfortunately the technician with whom I was corresponding was so
incompetent that he did not know that the solution was an simple - easily
used clean up tool on the Symantic support site. I spent many hours
following instructions to correct the failure and none of the advice provided
by the Symantic Technician did anything but waste valuable time. Thank you
again.

"Matthew Senecal" wrote:

> Well the instructions I have sent you are the ones to get rid of everythign
> that's the only way that I know of for your situation. But there is a way if
> it was nis 2005. But not just for NPF 2005. It should not be a problem to
> uninstall everything right. By using this program you do have all the cds for
> everything right? well let me know what you want to do ok thanks. I like
> always helping out people. Thanks
>
> "csambuco" wrote:
>
> > I saved SYMNRT to the hard drive. When I started the program it appeared
> > that it would remove all my Norton Programs without an opportunity to select
> > specifically NPF 2005. Before proceeding with the cleanup, I wanted to find
> > out if it is possible to selectively clean a specific program. Is it
> > possible to selectively remove components of NPF?
> >
> > "Matthew Senecal" wrote:
> >
> > > I have a fix for that here
> > >
> > > http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039?Open&src=sg&docid=2005061013365236&nsf=nip.nsf&view=d73981ee6120459e85256eda0045925b&dtype=&prod=Norton%20Personal%20Firewall&ver=2005&osv=&osv_lvl=
> > >
> > > this would help you out let me know how this goes. I see this hapend all the
> > > time. You just got to remote all the registry entries and files but this site
> > > will help you out on it then you will be able to install Norton Personal
> > > Firewall 2005. Ok I enjoyed helping you out. Bye

That's why I use McAfee .... everytime I buy a OEM, that TRIAL Symantic
Cr@p is always on ...garbage!