pio to dma2

I have a new Dell 8300, P4, 120gb sata hd, 512 ram, dvd rom and I added a
Plextor 708a dvd-rw.

I have read and tried everything on several boards and I cannot get
dma2 !!! I read about people burning a dvd in 15-20 min. I wish ! More like an hour.

I've tried everything listed several times.

primary and secondary ide set to "dma if available",
uninstalled ide channels and rebooted,
updated 708a firmware,
ensured that dma is enabled in bios,
tried cable select,
tried slave and master,
tried master and slave.

I must be missing something. Any other suggestions?

P.
6 answers Last reply
More about dma2

    Check the BIOS and make sure the drive isn't "OFF". It will, oddly, work if
    it is OFF, but in PIO mode.

    Tom

    Pete wrote:
    > I have a new Dell 8300, P4, 120gb sata hd, 512 ram, dvd rom and I added a
    > Plextor 708a dvd-rw.
    >
    > I have read and tried everything on several boards and I cannot get
    > dma2 !!! I read about people burning a dvd in 15-20 min. I wish ! More like an hour.
    >
    > I've tried everything listed several times.
    >
    > primary and secondary ide set to "dma if available",
    > uninstalled ide channels and rebooted,
    > updated 708a firmware,
    > ensured that dma is enabled in bios,
    > tried cable select,
    > tried slave and master,
    > tried master and slave.
    >
    > I must be missing something. Any other suggestions?

    I had a similar problem a while ago with my 4550 - the only thing I
    tried which worked was to install Intel's Application Accelerator. I was
    in UDMA2 land as soon as I rebooted. I have since uninstalled IAA to
    apply a firmware update to my DVD burner and did not reinstall IAA. I'm
    still running UDMA2 for the DVD burner.

    On 12 May 2004 06:22:37 -0700, renroh57@hotmail.com (Pete) wrote:

    >I have a new Dell 8300, P4, 120gb sata hd, 512 ram, dvd rom and I added a
    >Plextor 708a dvd-rw.
    >
    >I have read and tried everything on several boards and I cannot get
    >dma2 !!! I read about people burning a dvd in 15-20 min. I wish ! More like an hour.
    >
    >I've tried everything listed several times.
    >
    >primary and secondary ide set to "dma if available",
    >uninstalled ide channels and rebooted,
    >updated 708a firmware,
    >ensured that dma is enabled in bios,
    >tried cable select,
    >tried slave and master,
    >tried master and slave.
    >
    >I must be missing something. Any other suggestions?
    >
    >P.

    Have you tried going into Device Manager, deleting the IDE channel
    where the burner is located, and rebooting?

    Dave

    > I had a similar problem a while ago with my 4550 - the only thing I
    > tried which worked was to install Intel's Application Accelerator. I was
    > in UDMA2 land as soon as I rebooted. I have since uninstalled IAA to
    > apply a firmware update to my DVD burner and did not reinstall IAA. I'm
    > still running UDMA2 for the DVD burner.

    Good suggestion, thanks. Went to Intel website, IAA specifically
    excludes my chipset. # 875P .

    Thanks

    P.

    > Have you tried going into Device Manager, deleting the IDE channel
    > where the burner is located, and rebooting?
    >
    > Dave

    Yes, several times. No go.

    Thanks

    P.

    Plextor agreed yesterday that the drive was probably faulty. Exchanged
    the drive late last night. Installed and working in DMA-2 later last
    night.
    Problem solved.
    Turns out , the retailer (Future Shop) has a one year no questions
    asked exchange policy. Wish I'd realized that sooner. Would have
    exchanged the drive a week ago.

    Thanks to all who helped out.

    P.

    renroh57@hotmail.com (Pete) wrote in message news:<808f9ac9.0405130523.256dd35a@posting.google.com>...
    > > Have you tried going into Device Manager, deleting the IDE channel
    > > where the burner is located, and rebooting?
    > >
    > > Dave
    >

    > Yes, several times. No go.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > P.